R.A. Salvatore - The Icewind Dale & The Dark Elf (series)

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

MidasKnight
Centrist

R.A. Salvatore - The Icewind Dale & The Dark Elf (series)

Post by MidasKnight »

Icewind Dale Trilogy, book 1
Dark Elf Trilogy, book 1

I know this isn't a book, this is a series, but they are all rated equally.

First, let me say, I love R.A. Salvatore and it is largely because of his easy writing style. These books are much more story and much less thought provoking than most books. Because of this, they may seem a bit juvenille at first, but I really think they are just simple and easy.

Basically this series and the one after it (The Dark Elf Trilogy) are about a chaotic good Drow and the internal struggles he faces along with the racism of being a Drow in a non-Drow world.

If you've ever played Dungeons and Dragons, these series read like D&D plays. He writes and adheres to D&D rules, uses D&D races and monsters and it all takes place in the Forgotten Realms world.

I've already rated all six of these books so I won't go over that again. The main thing to remember is that if you want a thought provoking book, these aren't them. If you want an easy reading, action-packed book with a little humor, these are the series for you.

I like to read these in between heavier books.

Enjoy!!

[Mod: review manually linked to book 1 of both series. -- Brad, 08-Sep-2007]
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
KiltanneN
Legionnaire

Post by KiltanneN »

I agree - thouroughly enjoyable forays into the forgotten realms world. I am not sure about Icewind Dale - but I definately read Dark Elf.

Not exactly provoking of deep thought, with little of the social commentary that often abounds in Fantasy saga's, and yet nonetheless enjoyable.

I strongly reccomend them...

I would further comment that they put me in mind of some of Moorcocks works. The tales of Count Brass I think...

I sort of think of them as a little less dark - but in reality they are fairly dark in themselves so I would say they run fairly true to that form.

[And I tend to think of Moorcock as the father of the multivolume sweeping saga...]

kilt
The wonderful thing about not planning
Is that failure comes as a complete surprise
And is not preceded by a period of worry or depression
Darb
Punoholic

Re: R.A. Salvatore - The Icewind Dale & The Dark Elf (series)

Post by Darb »

MidasKnight wrote:Icewind Dale Trilogy, book 1
Dark Elf Trilogy, book 1

I know this isn't a book, this is a series, but they are all rated equally.

First, let me say, I love R.A. Salvatore and it is largely because of his easy writing style. These books are much more story and much less thought provoking than most books. Because of this, they may seem a bit juvenille at first, but I really think they are just simple and easy.

Basically this series and the one after it (The Dark Elf Trilogy) are about a chaotic good Drow and the internal struggles he faces along with the racism of being a Drow in a non-Drow world.

If you've ever played Dungeons and Dragons, these series read like D&D plays. He writes and adheres to D&D rules, uses D&D races and monsters and it all takes place in the Forgotten Realms world.

I've already rated all six of these books so I won't go over that again. The main thing to remember is that if you want a thought provoking book, these aren't them. If you want an easy reading, action-packed book with a little humor, these are the series for you.

I like to read these in between heavier books.

Enjoy!!

[Mod: review manually linked to book 1 of both series. -- Brad, 08-Sep-2007]
MK, could you take a moment to rate the books in this series, and then amend the end if your review thread title with the enjoyability number ?

Return to “The Critic's Corner”