Richard Adams "Watership Down" 8 / 10

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Richard Adams "Watership Down" 8 / 10

Post by Trebor1503 »

This book is a little like "the Odessey", a little like "the Hobbit", and a little like Assop's tales.

Watership Down is the story of some rabbits who leave their warren in search of a better place to live. They must conquer quite a few obstacles along the way including man, nature, and rival rabbits. The characters act human and talk to each other, and the story progresses quickly along as a tale of adventure.

The feel of this story is similar to that of an Assop fable where animals are used to make a point about society. But this is a relatively small part of the story and is not overdone or hammered into you. I also thought alot about the story "Secret of Nim" while reading this book. They are in the same vein.

This is a good read for older children (may be too much for anyone under say7) and for adults wanting to understadn why this book is listed on many highschool "must read" lists.
Superenigmatix
Defender of the Chronicles Stylesheet

Post by Superenigmatix »

Hmm - I would rate this far higher. In fact it should probably be in the British Lit thread.

Time may have reduced it's impact perhaps - it's rabbit-orientated viewpoint was fairly radical in it's time.

Of his other books I would also recommend The Plague Dogs and then Shardik - I haven't read any others.

I have a problem with how we are rating books anyway - probably should start a thread to discuss it - when kilt's back maybe - I'm a touch busy at the moment :roll:

sE
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

I saw the animated adaptation a long time ago, when it first aired on TV. Totally loved it. At the time it was a 10 outta 10 for me, but that was a long tine ago - not sure what I'd rate it today, but age and maturity probably wouldnt cause it to dip much below say, 8 of 10.

I own the book, but I haven't gotten around to reading it - the fact that I've already seen an adaptation automatically demoted it to 'b' list priority ;)
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

Brad ... The only plus to the book is that it was written before the movie. I always demote books written from screenplays to the bottom of my stack but I never trust a adaptation of a book for anything less than entertainment value unto itself.

btw...Watership Down is available on DVD :D
bob k. mando
Defender of Database Integrity et Critic

Post by bob k. mando »

treb
ummm, you are aware that 2001: a space odyssey was written from the screenplay right?

definitely not a book that belongs at the bottom of any stack....
Words of wisdom about hippies from Neil Young circa 1970:
"Soldiers are gunning us down,
Should have been done long ago."
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

Actually...I did not find 2001 or 2010 that enjoyable. I think it was the writers style or my frame of mind at the time. So that would not exclude from MY rule pertaining to myself.... but yes BKM, there are always exceptions.
Superenigmatix
Defender of the Chronicles Stylesheet

Post by Superenigmatix »

The book and the movie were written at the same time - there is a whole book about the writing of the screenplay/book with lots of fascinating alternative plots.

Basically both book and screenplay were written by Clarke/Kubrick but they decided (for whatever reason) to split the writing credit so that one got the book and one got the screenplay - which I think makes sense as that was their respective strengths and probably reflected who contributed the most to each version.

sE
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

OK...enough side bar.... back to Watership Down discussion...
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Yes, but the sidebar is more interesting :wink:

- The Al Asra Thread Hijacker's Brigade (AATHB)
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

I need to pass hraka
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
harryhermionerw
Scribe Adept

Post by harryhermionerw »

I liked this book. It's a really good book, actually, and when I was first told to read it, I thought I wasn't going to like it. Goes to show you how you shouldn't judge a book by the cover... or the summary on the back =P

But I gotta disagree with you Brad. I didn't like the animated adaptation a'tall. I much, much, much prefered the book.
If life hands you lemons, give them to a lemonade stand, and read a book.
Evaine
Devoted Scholar

Post by Evaine »

I cried at the end of the book.

I enjoyed the film, but it was simplified a good deal. Call me sentimental if you like, but I did like 'Bright Eyes'.
when the floppy-eared Spaniel of Luck sniffs at your turn-ups it helps if you have a collar and piece of string in your pocket.
Terry Pratchett on taking opportunities in writing.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”