Ursula K. Le Guin - Lathe Of Heaven, The - 7

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Ursula K. Le Guin - Lathe Of Heaven, The - 7

Post by clong »

Lathe Of Heaven, The

This is really quite an amazing story, although I found the ending to be a bit of a disappointment.

It tells about a man whose dreams reshape the world, the psychiatrist who sees his patient as a tool to make the world a better place, and the young woman who keeps running into the dreamer in each remake of the world.

The writing is good, the characters sympathetic (even the "bad guy" doctor), interesting ethical questions are raised, and the plot never becomes predictable.

As noted above, the ending left me a little bit disappointed. It was almost as if, after creating a compelling storyline, Le Guin couldn't really find a compelling way to wrap it up.

I read it in two nights. It's well worth your time.
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

I'll have to reread The Lathe of Heaven before I post a response; I believe I have a response, because in my memory the effectiveness of the ending differs from your take on it. I'll dig out my copy, and do a quick reread, then return to "debate" the issue — or to agree with you.

Sue
clong
Blade Runner

Re: Ursula K. Le Guin - Lathe Of Heaven, The - 7

Post by clong »

I reread this six years later, and didn't enjoy it as much the second time around. The central concept remains intruiging, but it can't really carry the book when you know what's coming. I had a hard time rooting for the protagonist George this time round.

One interpretation I hadn't really latched on to the first time through was the suggestion that the world really had ended in a nuclear holocaust, and that all of these realities were simply going through George's head as he lay dieing in the aftermath.

Still, this is a quick read built around an original concept, and I think it is worth your time.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”