Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles - 8

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Ray Bradbury - The Martian Chronicles - 8

Post by Trebor1503 »

The Martian Chronicles is a series of short stories that were compiled into a book.

The stories all have a 1950's feel... with lots of cold war untertones and feelings. But the really interesting thing about the stories is that even though they were written separately and can be read independately, they all flow pretty well together. Also, the examining of the alien race adn of the human psyche are very interesting.

The Chronicles is a well know piece of litereature, but when reading it pay attention to these three things:

1. The range of the stories. They are very different and even seem to be written in different styles. You would almost think by different authors.

2. The range of genres. The stories cover many topics and are not all "kill alien invaders"

3. The ending. It is unexpected and again shows the undercurrent of 1950's fears and philosophy.

Overall... a must read for anyone interested in understanding where SciFi came from.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

/me crosses arms and waits for BKM to join in ;)
Superenigmatix
Defender of the Chronicles Stylesheet

Post by Superenigmatix »

Hell I haven't read this for years - loved it at the time - I would have been somewhere between 14-17 I think.

[sE bites tongue before admitting how long ago that was :oops: )
illusionaryillustrator
Apprentice Scribe

Post by illusionaryillustrator »

This is an awesome book. We read it in my ninth grade honors class and did a rather extensive study of it. I especially loved Usher II. and the one near the beginning where they landed and saw all their loved ones. It was so sad. I really like Bradbury, he's an crazy cool writer.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Illus: So, what'd you think of BKM's review of Martian Chronicles ? ;-)
bob k. mando
Defender of Database Integrity et Critic

Post by bob k. mando »

brad
instead of being coy you should probably point that post out to her as it's not exactly obvious which thread that's in. even though i don't begin to approach your post count (bob pauses to bow down) <300 is a rather large number to go through looking for something like that.
Words of wisdom about hippies from Neil Young circa 1970:
"Soldiers are gunning us down,
Should have been done long ago."
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

BKM... I didn't realize you had already posted a critique... if I had know I would have added onto yours.
bob k. mando
Defender of Database Integrity et Critic

Post by bob k. mando »

no, no, i haven't posted an honest to gott critique of 'the .. chronicles'.

in one of the early threads on the board i happened to pick up a copy that had been published in the late 60's/early 70's that had a forward written by a pinko commie which horked me off to no end.

so i did a little preliminary, highly critical review, vis-a-vis the preface vs the book and basically shredded the fool.

i keep threatening to read the whole book and finish it up as a real critique but it's soooo much easier to procrastinate. :roll:
Words of wisdom about hippies from Neil Young circa 1970:
"Soldiers are gunning us down,
Should have been done long ago."
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

Forwards... we could have a whole sub-fora on them alone. It is like..."lets find a B actor or writer who has not read this book to write something on it." or the oposite "Lest offer a well respected actor or writer a nice pile of cash to becasue he has not (and will not) read this book.

As a rule I skip them all together.
And lately I have skipped the jackets because they are almost never acurate...

So how do I pick my books you ask... same as anyone else... coverart :D

I mean, if you are going to have a totally arbitrary method... at least mine is fast.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

So how do I pick my books you ask... same as anyone else... coverart :D
Gee, that explains why you started a thread asking for 'senual books' :lol:

Read any good prOn lately ?
Trebor1503
Journeyman Scholar

Post by Trebor1503 »

actually... no. I find it hard to read that type of material now as I grow older and the models stay the same age... it is just a little to weird. I stick with the written work and my own imagination.. in all types of lit.

But if you are selling I know some people who are buying :) [Trebor has freaks for friends]

Return to “The Critic's Corner”