Frank Herbert - Dune - 4

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Kvetch
Sweeper

Frank Herbert - Dune - 4

Post by Kvetch »

Dune /Dune /1

Dune is, I am sure, a truly great book. It ALSO masses in at slightly more than my leatherbound copy of War and Peace. Unlike War and Peace, I have read all of Dune, but it was heavy going. I can't disagree that Herbert's imagination and vision were amazing, because the ideas contained in Dune are simply fantastic. The problem is that Herbert couldn't WRITE - Dune goes on and on and on. and on.

While I was reading Dune, I enjoyed it (although I kept losing track of names), but now, a few months, later I can hardly remember anything of the plot.

Dune is considered one of the seminal works of Science Fiction, and I can see why. I just wish he had had a decent editor. I wouldn't want to have NOT read Dune, but I doubt if I will ever reread it

*I give this an overall rating of 4 (sunstandard, but readable) - this comes from a combination of the quality of the writing (which scores a '2')and the quality of the ideas (scores a '10')
Last edited by Kvetch on Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

The problem is that Herbert couldn't WRITE
Don't you think it's a tad presumptuous to assert that an acclaimed grandmaster of the genre can't write ? :wink:
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

not in the slightest. Asimov couldn't either - look at his (Foundation anyway) books - They are great because of their content, but the writing is rather ropy.

There is no (or at least there doen't have to be a ) connection between the quality of an author's IDEAS and their writing ability
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

2's incredibly low. I gave brian herbert (Frank's son) higher than 2, and Frank is a vastly better writer than his offspring. :wink:

Perhaps you're just going for shock value, like teejay used to ? :P
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

no. the book sucks from the point of view of the writing.

IMO, of course.
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

What score would you give Brian Herbert ? Read him yet ?

Also, I think perhaps you might be using the enjoyability stat incorrectly. It's supposed to be for your overall enjoyability of the work. Giving something a 2 for writing ability and a 10 for ideas is all very nice, and vertainly helpful information ... but it sort of dodges the "enjoyability" portion of our rating system.
Last edited by Darb on Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

I gave up halfway through dune messiah, and I don't want to read any more FRANK, let alone brian.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Also, I think perhaps you might be using the enjoyability stat incorrectly. It's supposed to be for your overall enjoyability of the work. Giving something a 2 for writing ability (which is what we were discussing above) and a 10 for ideas is all very nice, and certainly helpful information ... but it sort of dodges the "enjoyability" portion of our rating system. If you dont like it, rate it accordingly, but give it an enjoyability number.
^bump^
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

very sorry - I thought I'd checked them all - my bad.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Quite alright.
* I give this an overall rating of 4 (substandard, but readable) - this comes from a combination of the quality of the writing (which scores a '2') and the quality of the ideas (scores a '10')
Fair enough. :thumb:
SlowRain
Literature Addict

Dune

Post by SlowRain »

I read this book a while ago and enjoyed the beginning quite a bit, but found that he wasn't quite able to pick up the story very well after the two year gap. I also found his concept of a massive government of systems and planets was either not fully explained or irrelevant to the plot. It was OK, but not a great read.
"The only second chance you get is to make the same mistake twice." - David Mamet

Currently reading: "Bridge of Sighs" by Richard Russo

Return to “The Critic's Corner”