Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 - 9/10 - POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Kahrey
Fairy Tale Heroine - aka "Cinders"

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 - 9/10 - POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Post by Kahrey »

Fahrenheit 451

The temperature at which book paper burns....

Imagine a world without books. A world without sense. Welcome to Guy Montag's world.

Years in the future a fireman's role is reversed. Put out fires? No, they start fires.

The big salamander, given the duty to spew forth kerosene, a fireman's perfume, into the house of those who possess even one book. In an instant, all the books, the whole house and everything in it, is burned to the ground. It is like a glorious event, with neighbors gathering all around.

Guy has heard books make no sense and are pointless, but one woman, who died with her books, changed his life. Her memory was burned into his brain. For her to die with those books, something important must lie within the pages....but what?

Join Guy as he tries to discover and understand what is so special about books. As his journey and plot to destroy all firehouses and bring books back unfolds....

Not often do I like science fiction, but this one I loved. The style of writing was different than most these days, which I like, and it gave description, but left room for you to imagine it yourself. This book looked into the horror of what the future could become. Could technology become so important and so dominant that we give up things that matter to us now? It raised an important question to me and introduced a new possible future I had never thought of. The book was well written, and interesting. Definitely reccomend it.
"Life is trial and error. Those who succeed are those who survive their failures and keep trying." - LE Modesitt, Jr.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”