Brom - Krampus: The Yule Lord - 8

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

StefanY
Jedi Librarian

Brom - Krampus: The Yule Lord - 8

Post by StefanY »

Krampus: The Yule Lord

This was an extremely fun book!

To start out, I have to admit that I was drawn to this novel initially by the bad-ass cover art. I saw it several times online and was enticed to read the description. From that point, I was hooked and knew that it was something that I had to at least give a shot.

Luckily, I managed to get the book via Interlibrary Loan right before the holidays so I had a perfect backdrop for reading a book about the Yule Lord, Krampus, coming forth to destroy his nemesis, Santa Claus. I wasn't totally sure what to expect, but what I found was a fast-paced adventure with plenty of horror elements that reminded me quite a bit of Joe Hill's novels stylistically. The story mainly focuses on a guy, Jesse, who's life is falling apart who stumbles upon a battle between Santa and some demons. Without giving too much away, Jesse ends up with Santa's sack and finds out that it is truly magical and the forces of both evil and good are suddenly after him to get it back.

Krampus himself is a great character and his dialogue almost begs to be read aloud. There is a lot of mythology and pagan legend included in here that I found fascinating and plenty of action and gore for those that don't care as much about the origins of the tale. I also greatly enjoyed all of the artwork and wish that more novels included illustrations (especially if they were as good as these.)

Overall and great read, especially during the holiday season, that I would recommend to fans of horror and dark comedy.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!

Return to “The Critic's Corner”