Isaac Asimov - Foundation - 6

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

StefanY
Jedi Librarian

Isaac Asimov - Foundation - 6

Post by StefanY »

Foundation (Foundation - 1)
*This review is for all 3 books in the original Foundation Trilogy

I can understand why Asimov's Foundation Trilogy is one of the building blocks of the genre of Science Fiction as we know it today and I can respect the quality of the material itself. This trilogy is well-written, grand in scope, and has a very interesting concept, however I found it to be very dull for long periods of time and took me much longer than usual to plod through.

Asimov has crafted his tale around a scientist who foresees the end the current structure of civilization and devises a plan to accelerate the growth of a new empire and drastically shorten the predicted span of time in which the universe will be thrown into a time of barbarism. In order to accomplish this, a Foundation is created on a remote and otherwise unused planet and the trilogy involves the trials and travails of this Foundation as it establishes itself as a power in the universe.

Overall, not a bad series. I enjoyed the second book (Foundation and Empire) the most out of the three. As I mentioned, the story does get a bit tedious at times and it was an effort for me to pick it up and keep going from time to time. But from a historical aspect it is very interesting to read one of the building blocks of a genre.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Re: Isaac Asimov - Foundation - 6

Post by CodeBlower »

I remember reading these ..

.. and I thought I remembered not enjoying them.

I've been tempted to pick them back up and give them a try again.

Thank you for the review - I think you've saved me a few hours that I can spend reading something else.
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
StefanY
Jedi Librarian

Re: Isaac Asimov - Foundation - 6

Post by StefanY »

Glad that I could help out. And it's not that they're bad by any means, but if you've already read them, I don't see a point in re-reading them.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/styates/ChiefsArrowhead.jpg[/img]

Return to “The Critic's Corner”