Isaac Asimov - I, Robot (Collection) - 6

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

StefanY
Jedi Librarian

Isaac Asimov - I, Robot (Collection) - 6

Post by StefanY »

I, Robot (Collection) (Positronic Robot - 1)

This is a collection of inter-related tales bound together by an outer "frame" tale. The stories serve to explain Asimov's three laws of Robotics and some of the problems inherent in trying to apply absolutes to semi-sentient beings. The tales are entertaining, especially the various ways that the characters find to work out their problems by either working with the laws of robotics or finding creative ways to work around them. It also deals philosophically with the idea that a man-made robot if given enough free-will may or may not also have something approaching a soul or conscience.

As with any short story collection, some tales are better than others. Overall even the weaker tales are fairly good and I didn't find anything with the book that I would really find bad. It wasn't the greatest book that I've ever read by any means, but for a book that was assigned in a college course I would definitely rate it above average and recommend it to fans of Science Fiction especially those who have an appreciation for the classic building blocks of what sci-fi is today.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!

Return to “The Critic's Corner”