Sci Fi-Nanites used to modify human brain and changing reality [SOLVED]

This is the place if you are trying to remember the name of a book you read many years ago, or if you want to help someone else with the same problem.

Moderator: Kvetch

Lurch666
Bookworm

Sci Fi-Nanites used to modify human brain and changing reality [SOLVED]

Post by Lurch666 »

I borrowed a sci fi book over 15 years ago and would like to find it again.The basic story was set in the future where nanites are used all the time to modify a person's brain to accomplish tasks.The main character was a security guard and had modified his brain so he could go into an 'alert but asleep' status so he could do long shifts without getting bored.Anyway He gains the ability through the use of more nanites to change reality.The story was that every choice creates one or more reality's and he gained the ability to choose the reality he wanted.In the story he uses a watch battery as a coin and he keeps flipping it and as long as it always comes 'positive side' up he knows that he is still controlling to outcome of his reality.Ring any bells with anyone?I've done some internet searches for it but since I can't even remember the title or author I got nowhere.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by Lurch666 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgene2
Bookworm

Post by tgene2 »

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... -worl.html

I didn't go into much research, but a quick google brought this up. Maybe it can give you something to go off of?
Our destiny is written. We continue to read in hopes of finding our path; however, we often times end up only helping those whose paths we have already found. Perhaps that is our true path?
Lurch666
Bookworm

Post by Lurch666 »

Thanks for that but it's fiction I'm looking for and the only fiction he wrote was in 2005-the book I read was at least 15 years old.I have tried lots of google searches and I'm pretty good at finding what I'm looking for but still haven't been near to finding out about this book.The only chance I think is if someone who owns the book comes on here and reads my post.
Lurch666
Bookworm

Post by Lurch666 »

Found the answer elsewhere but in case anyone was wondering the book I was looking for was Quarantine by Greg Egan.Well recommended and I'm looking forward to reading it again.

Return to “Ask The Oracle”