Gardner Raymond Dozois - Year's Best Science Fiction, Thirteenth Annual Collection

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Gardner Raymond Dozois - Year's Best Science Fiction, Thirteenth Annual Colle

Post by clong »

Year's Best Science Fiction, Thirteenth Annual Collection, The

Another solid collection from editor Gardner Dozois, this one covering short fiction initially published in 1995. I found my responses to the individual stories pretty well split, although I can say that even in some of the stories that didn't really work for me I could acknowledge the author's efforts to take on an interesting, or intriguing or novel topic. I found it interesting that many of these stories were about artists of the future.

My favorites included "Starship Day" by Ian MacLeod, a story which had me quite skeptical until everything clicked together near the end; "Death in the Promised Land" by Pat Cadigan, a fairly average little detective story set within one of the more compelling VR descriptions I can remember reading; "The Death of Captain Future" by Allen Steele, a story that offered plenty of adventure and humor, with a little dollop of unexpected pathos at the end; "Radio Waves" by Michael Swanwick, a very original story about the hereafter; and my personal favorite "Looking for Kelly Dahl" by Dan Simmons.

The biggest disappointment was Greg Egan's Luminous, where I found both the basic premise, and how people responded thereto, not to be even slightly credible. There were quite a few stories that I rated as only average, including Maureen McHugh's Hugo winning "The Lincoln Train."

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!

Return to “The Critic's Corner”