Alastair Reynolds - Century Rain - 6

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

daetara
Grammar Mistress

Alastair Reynolds - Century Rain - 6

Post by daetara »

Century Rain

This book was a very good read. It had some fascinating premises involved as far as technology, and the focus on nanotechnology and its pros and cons were particularly interesting since that's a field that is currently growing here in the "real" world. The way that the nanotech angle is applied makes you really think about the implications of plunging headlong into such technology without serious forethought and planning.

I had a hard time putting this book down, because I felt it was very well written. The flow is excellent and the dialogue between characters was for the most part very realistic. There was no point at which I felt bogged down in too much technical rambling (which I have a problem with in a lot of SF), and really the only plot point that was a problem was the "love interest" part. I felt that it was completely superfluous...I was thoroughly invested in all the characters before it even came up, and wouldn't have blinked an eye if it had never even remotely gone in that direction. It was also very, very sparsely written...almost like it was just a token effort to appease certain people.

All in all, I'd recommend it and I'll probably read it again.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”