Harlan Jay Ellison - Deathbird Stories - 8

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Harlan Jay Ellison - Deathbird Stories - 8

Post by clong »

Deathbird Stories

Another fine collection from Harlan Ellison. None of these stories would rank among my all-time favorites, but many of them were very good. And even the few that didn't really work for me, still left me impressed by their ambition and Ellison's fecund imagination.

My favorites from the collection were "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs," a re-imagining of dark reality behind the infamous Kitty Genovese murder; "Basilisk," a story of a disgraced young veteran who returns from Vietnam with a dark secret to face hostility in his home town; "Bleeding Stones," in which gargoyles come to life to spread havoc; "Rock God," which tells of the origins of Stonehenge; and the eponymous "The Deathbird," a re-interpretation of the Genesis story that varies substantially from the biblical cosmology.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

How was the introduction ?

As good as his short stories are, it's the introductions that are sometimes the best part of some of his various collections ... such as Angry Candy, if I recall.
clong
Blade Runner

Post by clong »

The introduction, "Oblations at Alien Altars," was fairly short, and reminiscent of key themes of Gaiman's recent American Gods. These are stories about Modern Gods (gods of things like machines, lust, beauty, money, urban violence) who are replacing traditional Deities that nobody believes in any longer. Ellison also prefaces each story with brief remarks that point you to who or what is being worshipped.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”