Jack Vance - Maske: Thaery - 6

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Jack Vance - Maske: Thaery - 6

Post by clong »

Maske: Thaery

I am usually a big fan of Jack Vance, but this one left me pretty underwhelmed. It has basic elements in common with the Star King books, (i.e., dashing young man travels between planets trying to figure out what the mysterious bad guy is up to and while he's at it, exact revenge upon said bad guy). But the protagonist is much less compelling, the bad guy is much less interesting, and the world building is fairly sketchy. Add to that a silly romantic triangle, and you really have a fairly mediocre book.

If you're even moderately interested in classic sf, and you haven't yet read anything by Jack Vance, you should fix this soon. But don't start with Maske: Thaery.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!

Return to “The Critic's Corner”