Nix, Garth - Sabriel - 9

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

wolfspirit
MST3K

Nix, Garth - Sabriel - 9

Post by wolfspirit »

Sabriel This book is the first book in the Old Kingdom Trilogy

Sabriel is the first book in one of the best trilogies of books that I have read in the last couple of years for the first time.

Not surprisingly, this book is the start of the Story of Sabriel, a random-looking girl at a charter school just outside of the walls of the Old Kingdom. However, the reader soon discovers that Sabeil's father is the Abhorsen for the country, a person who's job is to keep life and death seperate, and that he has died.

The story gets good from there.

The characters in the book are great, and the plot is most excellent (even if it the first book in a trilogy, the plot finishes most of the loose ends within the book). It was a fairly quick read for me, I read the whole thing in one afternoon/evening/night, as I just couldn't seem to put it down.

While this book is listed as Young Adult, I have seen it in the hands of more adults than teenagers, and think it is deep and complex and complete enough that anyone would have a good time reading it. The only point I would have is that if you are scareed of death, you may not want to read, as Sabriel's main job involves dead and dying people and creatures of all varieties.

Otherwise, one of the best books I have read recently (and I have read it numerous times in the last few years.

wolfspirit

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
Sean Whitton
Legionnaire

Post by Sean Whitton »

I got Abhorsen for my birthday today. I've read it, but the person knew I wanted my own copy.

I have to say that Lirael is the best, and Kvetch will agree with me, because of all the library stuff. The library isn't the same without Kvetch and Hannah! I was saying this to Matt the other day.
Formerly known as 'Xyrael'.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/]Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
wolfspirit
MST3K

Post by wolfspirit »

Xyrael wrote:I got Abhorsen for my birthday today. I've read it, but the person knew I wanted my own copy.

I have to say that Lirael is the best, and Kvetch will agree with me, because of all the library stuff. The library isn't the same without Kvetch and Hannah! I was saying this to Matt the other day.
Ahem...Rate this book is calling you.

wolfspirit
Sean Whitton
Legionnaire

Post by Sean Whitton »

Yes, when I've re-read it. I review every book I read (which isn't many).
Formerly known as 'Xyrael'.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/]Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Return to “The Critic's Corner”