Richard Burton Matheson - I Am Legend - 9

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Richard Burton Matheson - I Am Legend - 9

Post by clong »

I Am Legend

This is a very effective short novel, told in a direct and simple way. Atmosphere is established quickly and effectively. The cast of characters is small. It hearkens back to a simpler style of storytelling, which so often seem to be lost in today's world of 700+ page long epics, with a cast of characters that reads like a phone book, and multiple convoluted storylines. I read it shortly after reading John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids, another classic short novel very much in the same style.

One thing I really liked about this book was that the protagonist, when faced with a horrible post-apocalyptic doom, turns to deductive reasoning, ingenuity, and thoughtful scientific research as he searches for an explanation and perhaps even a solution.

Vampire stories are not really my cup of tea, but I would certainly recommend this one to anyone.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!

Return to “The Critic's Corner”