Poul Anderson - Broken Sword, The - 7

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Poul Anderson - Broken Sword, The - 7

Post by clong »

Broken Sword, The

I read this on Brad's recommendation, although I was a bit skeptical going in (Viking tales are not really my thing). I found the introductory back story to be slow going, but by the time we get to the stories of Skafloc and Valgard the pace picks up and the narrative flows very quickly. Anderson's language is at times deliberately archaic, which took me a while to adjust to, but it clearly fits the storyline. This is a world where both the good guys and the bad guys (most not really guys at all, but rather elves, trolls, gods and the like) are violent and amoral, and where the good guys are likely create their own doom through hubris and overconfidence.

The Broken Sword is one of those books that is easy to read, but challenging to think about. It's definitely worth your time, not only for its own merits but also for some perspective on how fantasy has evolved in the last fifty years. I read the 1971 revision.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
Last edited by clong on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

It was a fairly revolutionary piece for it's day ... it's essentially one of the grandfathers of modern heroic fantasy.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”