R. A. Salvatore - The Icewind Dale Trilogy (Series) - 8

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Darb
Punoholic

R. A. Salvatore - The Icewind Dale Trilogy (Series) - 8

Post by Darb »

Crystal Shard, The /The Icewind Dale Trilogy /1

Yet another excellent series by R. A. Salvatore, set in the Forgotten Realms genre. Some have criticized it for being rather derivative (i.e., Wulfgar the Barbarian = Fritz Leiber's Fafhred, Bruenor the Dwarf = JRRT's Gimli, Regis the Halfling = JRRT's Merry Brandybuck, etc.), but I was able to enjoy the series despite those parallels.

It's not Lord of the Rings, but it's still enjoyable none the less ... and it ranks high among the growing plethora of novels set in the Forgotten Realms sub-genre. Fans of the D20/AD&D (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons) gaming system (by Wizards of the Coast) who like simple, straight-forward fantasy action, with plenty of familiar spells, familiar monsters, and familiar magic items, will enjoy this series.

Salvatore's popular character, Drizzt, makes his first appearance in this series.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
Last edited by Darb on Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

I agree Brad. It is good easy reading. Sometimes you just want to read and not think.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Review expanded slightly, to better conform to forthcoming minimum review-length guidelines.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”