Andre Norton - Star Man's Son - 7

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Kvetch
Sweeper

Andre Norton - Star Man's Son - 7

Post by Kvetch »

Star Man’s Son

Since magicfan recommended her so much, I've been looking out boos by Andre Norton, and I found this in my local library.

I did enjoy the story line, and the imaginary future was well painted, but I had real trouble gettting past the bad science. I don't have problems with people taking liberties with scientific causality (Anne McCaffery's genmod dragons, for example, or Isobelle Carmody's mutant mental powers), but Andre Norton's willingness to mutate animals to giant size and give them highish level intellects intellects, give humanity an inherited resistance/immunity to radiation, and have no bad mutations visible at all, all in the space of three hundred years stretches even my most willing suspension of disbelief.

It was a good story, but I just couldn't get past the glaring errors in the science to really gel with it. However, the other book of hers I've read so far are much less problematic, and I have high hopes of her other books.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."

Return to “The Critic's Corner”