Michel Random - The Martial Arts - 7

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Darb
Punoholic

Michel Random - The Martial Arts - 7

Post by Darb »

The Martial Arts

It's a shame that this book is out of print, because it offers a nice overview (along with some engrossing photos) of many different martial arts: Swordsmanship (Kendo/Iaiado), Aikido, Judo, Karate, Ninjitsu, Kyudo, etc. The author does a fair job of leading the reader though the major historical branches of the martial arts ... although (if I recall) with a strong page count bias towards the Japanese branches.

The material that's there is still fairly current, but recent developments pertaining to things like the "Unlimited Fighting Championships", and various big budget Hollywood movies (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, recent movies by Jet Li and Jackie Chan, etc.) have had a noticeable effect on the martial arts landscape in recent years ... causing interest to peak in areas like Brazilian JuJitsu and various sub-styles of Chinese Kung Fu.

In any case, it's still recommended, if you can find it ... particularly if you're on a journey of self discovery in the hobby, and you're looking for philosophical signposts and various stylistic spoor to help guide you on your way (in the direction of additional research and exploration). Case in point - I originally started out dabbling in hard styles, like Kenpo (and others), but after several years, I gravitated towards the "softer" styles styles, like Aikido and Tai Chi. They were a better fit for me, both physically, and spiritually. Everyone is different, and to each their own ... but that's what worked for me.

Anyway, it's a good book, if you can find it.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!

Return to “The Critic's Corner”