Ursula K Le Guin - City Of Illusions - 8

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

Kvetch
Sweeper

Ursula K Le Guin - City Of Illusions - 8

Post by Kvetch »

City Of Illusions

City Of Illusions is the first Science Fiction of Le Guin that I have read, and it captivated me. The story envisages a far future Earth, it's once cohesive people shattered into a thousand strange fragments (including a rather clever cameo appearance of 'The Bee-Keepers', Christians whose honour of life has turned to a worship of Death). The only thread of knowledge that runs though all of these peoples is the Law: Take no Life, and a knowledge of the Shing, the Aliens of the city of Es Toch, who told the Lie that ended the League of All Worlds so many hundreds of years before.

And of that, some is true and some is not, much is half-truth and nearly all the rest equivocation - as any plot outline must be, but in this case it well describes the book as well - mind games within mind games. By the end of the book, I was starting to doubt my own existence.

The tribes of this far-future Terra resemble the multitudinous peoples Larry Niven's Ringworld, and their characterisation has many of the same flaws - entire peoples are defined by a single trait, and taboos are rife. Not that it detracts from the story all that much.

The main theme of the story, a full grown man with no memories, seeking his lost history from a race of beings, possibly malignant, possibly benign, resembles Isobelle Carmody's Scatterlings almost to the dots on the is. Falk, the mindrazed one, is a sympathetic protagonist, if a bit cold (although that is the Le Guin style), and his story comes to a satisfying, if abrupt, conclusion.

The below forms a pretty large spoiler for the story, so if you intend to read this book, go no further.
Spoiler: show
The facet I found the most fascinating was the Shing, a race whose ability to mindlie (that is, the ability to tell untruths in mental communication) - an ability that the Humans and other Aliens of the League of All Worlds believed absolutely impossible - caused the collapse of a huge interstellar empire that had been fore-warned of the coming of an Enemy.
And yet, these same beings had an absolute Law - that of Reverence for Life that preclude them from killing (destroying minds, setting up huge wars - no problem - just no personal killing)

I also enjoyed the fact that rather than be told how the League was destroyed, you were left to work it out for yourself from other (plot logical and plot critical) bits of knowledge, rather than be force-fed knowledge improbably since none of the protagonists would know for sure.
Last edited by Kvetch on Tue May 03, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

I enjoyed this review — and agree with you. I believe this is one of Le Guin's earliest novels. There are four novels set in this universe; and they make a loose series. The first three are "Rocannon's World," "Planet of Exile," and "City of Illusions." The fourth is longer; it got a great deal more critical acclaim: "The Left Hand of Darkness." I really don't see this as part of this universe — it's a much different sort of book, but technically, it counts as part of the Hainish universe.

Sue
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

Thanks for telling me that. Among with my newly gained collection are all those books, so I'll put them higher up my to-read list.
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
spiphany
IBList Administrator

Post by spiphany »

Part of what I find so fascinating about Le Guin's work is the philosophical elements running through most of her novels. "City of Illusions" (it's spelled with an 's' by the way) explores quite a number of philosophical/religious systems. The creed of the Shing, as you observed, is perhaps the most interesting, since it combines two elements we don't normally think of as going together. But in addition to the Shing, we have the patterning frames of the forest people, and the highly disciplined hierarchical system of Falk's own people. Eastern religious systems seem to have considerable fascination for Le Guin. And did you notice that Thurro-dowism was her tribute to a certain person who once lived in the woods by that pond..what's it's name...

Part of the fun is taking apart her work and deciphering what's going on. There's always something more to notice or think about.

Return to “The Critic's Corner”