Extreme Cuisine & Strange Ingredients

Topics include: Cooking (recipes, techniques & equipment); Beverages (appreciating & making your favorites); Food Philosophy, and various books, articles, blogs, and related discussions.

Moderator: Darb

Darb
Punoholic

Extreme Cuisine & Strange Ingredients

Post by Darb »

Ok, it occurs to me that this might be just the thread to draw a few lurkers out of the shadows. You dont have to be a cook, or a gourmand, to participate.

TOPIC: weird / exotic / unusual or downright crazy things you've eaten. You ate them either because you paid for the privilege (in a restaurant or while travelling), someone paid/dared you to eat it, you were trained to eat it during a survival course, or you ate it because you were too drunk (or mis-informed) to know better. :P

I'll prime the pump ...

Things I've had in the past (this is just a sampling, and by no means a complete list):

* Chocolate covered ants. Couldnt really taste them - they were lost in the cocolate.
* Escargot (snails in garlic butter ... yum !).
* Wild boar (marinated & grilled)
* Kangaroo (ditto)
* Osterich Loin (marinated, grilled, and served with wine reduction sauce)
* Rabbit (stewed)
* Mako Shark (braised in parchment)
* Live Goldfish (hey, it was a childhood dare)
* Crawfish & crabs (boiled)
* Frog's Legs
* Bison (several ways)
* Red Savino Pepper (500,000 scoville)
* Chicken feet (stir fried)
* Tripe (offal)
* Sweet Breads
* Fois Gras (Goose/Duck Liver)
* Pig knuckles (both braised and fried)
* Stinky Cheese (hell, the stinkier, the better)
* Caviar (many varieties, from both fish and shellfish)

Exotic Sushi is a whole category, separate and apart from basic 'maki' fare:
* Fried shrimp heads (my favorite snack at my local sushi bar !)
* Squid (every possible way, including raw)
* Sea Urchin (Uni)
* Giant Oysters
* Fried miniature pincher crabs (eaten whole, shell-on)
* Fried whole head-on fish, both small (eaten whole) and large.
* Yellowtail Tuna "Cheeks" (Hamachi Kama Maki - yum !)

My most recent "exotic" dish was a braised head of "Yellow Eye", which I think is in either the roughy or snapper family.

I hunted around, and here's the closest I can come to a photo that matches:

My sushi chef buddie proudly displayed the half head he'd saved for me, and then disappeared into the kitchen to braised it for me, in what tasted like some sort of broth made from mirin, sake, tamari, dashi, garlic and miso paste. Anyway, it was delicious. The flesh tasted like a cross between marinated braised fluke, and lobster - although the texture was decidedly closer to snapper/roughy.

Now, the special thing about yellow eye,as you can tell by the picture, is that the eyeball is very large - roughly the size of an old US Liberty head silver dollar. The eyeball is apparently considered a rare delicacy in Japan - reserved for special patrons.

So, anyway, my friends behind the counter all watched me with big grins on their faces, eager to see if I'd eat it. I kidded them and quipped that they just wanted to see "if a round eyed gaijin like me would eat a big round fish eye". They laughed.

So, I happily dismantled and ate the entire head down to just a few stray pieces of cartlidge, and popped the eyeball in my mouth. Now, the eye of this fish has a hard white inner core, kinda like a cue ball in pool ... that part is inedible. It's the clear gelatin of the inner eye that surrounds it that's the good part ... you're supposed to slurp that part off and then daintily place the hard inner core back in the bowl. I did so.

I asked where the other half was, and my chef buddy confessed he'd had it for lunch earlier :clap:

Anyway, it was very tasty ... and I have not the slightest doubt that if they'd served it to anyone else in the restaurant (non-japanese) that there was a 75% chance that they'd probably have run screaming into the street :lol:

Things I'd like to try that I havent had yet:
* Fugu (sashimi from the poisonous puffer fish)
* Snake
* Alligator
* Whale Toro/Blubber (aka "Muk-tuk") ... unfortunately, it's endangered, so it's unlikely.

Ok, some one else's turn ...
Last edited by Darb on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread retitled
ΦBK — Greek initials of the motto "Love of learning is the guide of life."
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

LOL

Ah, this is an interesting topic.

Hmmm. What interesting fare have I eaten?

--frog legs. My brother and I used to hunt the poor critters mercilessly. We loved watching the legs jump and twitch in the frying pan.

--grasshoppers. Had 'em both fried and raw. (Don't ask me. It was my dad's idea.)

--ants and June Bugs (Beetles). Used to eat 'em in boyscout camp to gross everyone out. I'd let the little critters walk around on my tongue and teeth before crunching them between my molars...

--chocolate covered insects. I'm not sure exactly what they were. But they weren't too bad. Sorta crunchy... The chocolate (of course) overpowered any other flavors.

--raw oysters.

--rabbit--crockpot

--squirrel--crockpot

--raccoon...not sure how it was prepared...but it was pretty good. (It's been a loooong time.)

--sushi--hated it... /yeck!

--caviar--some cheap stuff my roommate bought at the Asian Market down the street. I didn't like it...he was dipping pork rinds in it... (He'll eat anything /me shudders...)

--freshwater eel: tasted like mud. It was live out of the tank. The guy behind the counter grabbed it by the tail and bashed it silly on the floor. I rinsed it as well as I could...ended up with food poisoning.

Well, that's all I can think of...for now. :wink:

Cool topic, Brad! :thumb:
"A writer's chosen task is to write well and professionally. If you can't keep doing it, then you're no longer a professional, but a gifted amateur." L. E. Modessit, jr.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Heh - thanks.

GRASSHOPPERS: Ok, you got me there - I've never done that. :)

LIVE JUNEBUGS: Ok, you win - dunno if I could do that. Esp the big squishy ones with hard shells. :roll:

EEL: As for the raw eel making you sick ... eel is almost always cooked because it's a bottom feeding scavenger whose diet includes (among other things) dead and decaying fish. Only a trained sushi chef can safely prepare eel raw, and even then only certain varieties are edible that way. However, the "bashing it silly on the floor" before devouring it raw was a nice touch. Big points for that :thumb:

SQUIRREL: I actually thought about braised squirrel not too long ago (re: the "Le Morte de Vermin" thread), but I figured my lovely conservative wife would probably run screaming from the house :deviate:

Ok, that reminded me of another one. I once, on a dare, back when I was something like 15 I peeled a dead earthworm off the sidewalk, and ate it. That won me a $10 bet - which, at the time, was good money for a teen with very limited income. I think I also got $10 for peeling up and chewing a moderately fresh (and only lightly trodden) knob of bubblegum that was a few feet away. And NO, I will probably never repeat that dare. Egads, the things we did as kids in order to gain status amongst our peers :roll:
Last edited by Darb on Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Ok, a few more items occured to me over a glass of sake at my favorite sushi bar last night ...

* Dog biscuit (no big deal - think of it as a hard biscuit that tastes like cornmeal, sawdust, dehydrated meat broth & meat byproducts, and with a touch of animal lard). Not good, but not horrible. Chowing down one one has earned me money on numerous occasions, mostly as a teen, but occasionally as an adult too. Easy money.
* Cat food, dry (just like dog biscuits, only kibble sized ... that was like $5 of easy money, back as a teen)
* Catfood, canned (a half canful got me like $10 ... another of those teen bet kinda things)
* Horse meat jerky (from Japan) - that one was only a few months ago. If I recall, it was very lean. It was also a bit stringy, because the processing plant shaved the meat at an odd angle.
* Seaweed - many varieties. Heck, I have it as an appetizer virtually every time I hit a sushi bar.

I'm sure more will occur to me.

Ok, someone else go :deviate:
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

When I was a kid, I would eat dog food, cat food, pig pellets (very similar to dog food, though not quite), sucked salt from the cows' salt lick (sorta gross to think about it now), and somebody dared me to eat a cigarette...and I did--aweful tasting.

The most recent "strange thing" I've eaten was fruit and bean (yes, bean!) icecream. It wasn't too bad. They were sweet beans, so they worked quite well with the ice cream and fruit. (It's an Asian thing, I think--I really want to try green tea ice cream too...)

And they are a lot more things I'd like to try. Just have to get my bravery up. The Asian Market carries some real scary looking cuisine...
"A writer's chosen task is to write well and professionally. If you can't keep doing it, then you're no longer a professional, but a gifted amateur." L. E. Modessit, jr.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

I've eaten:

Dog biscuits (not sure what is in them besides sawdust)

sashimi - bleh

raw haberñero (tastes like battery acid)

Catfish - this has got to be a joke that the south and midwest are all in against me. I've had this fish three different times and it is always terrible.

raw eggs - for training

EPS gum - salt replenishment for athletes

salditos - salted prunes, they really just taste like salt

mushrooms - see catfish for the joke idea
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

CATFISH: Oooh, I love it. I have some excellent recipes (ex: cornmeal crusted fillets with spicy egg-mustard sauce ... it's also good stirfied with sweet corn niblets and diced apples and a touch of 20+ yr balsamic vinegar). The trick to cooking catfish fillets it is to butterfly them, so that they cook fast and stay tender without curling up.

SALT LICK: Yeah, I'd forgotten about that one. My sister used to own a horse, and I tried the salt lick a few times.

COW TONGUE: Oooh, delicious. My mother used to make it in a pressure cooker, to make it extra tender. It's awesome, both hot and cold (on sandwich rye). Unfortunatley for me, it's hard to find in supermarkets these days in my area. No idea why.

GIANT OYSTER: Ok, I already checked this one off earlier, but last night, at my favorite sushi bar, I had an even bigger one. This easily was the most enormous oyster I've ever seen on dry land. This baby was from washington state, and had to be like 20 yrs old ... unopened, this hoary old monster of the deep was slightly bigger than my two clenched fists, held side by side, and nearly as big as my sneaker. It was HUGE. :shock: Anyway, my chef buddy served it to me lightly blanched in sake (just enough to firm it up and warm it through), with a light drizzle of a sweet brown sauce of some sort, and a light dusting of freshly minced chives. It took me THREE large bites to eat that sucker. I believe the japanese word for delicious is 'oishi' (sp?) :thumb:
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

Ah, I love cow tongue, cow heart, cow brains, also had pig heart and tongue...Almost everyone in my family were farmers when I grew up...so we always had such cuisine after butchering.

"Mountain Oysters"...yum...
Kahrey
Fairy Tale Heroine - aka "Cinders"

Post by Kahrey »

ewww....

that doesnt sound very appetizing....
"Life is trial and error. Those who succeed are those who survive their failures and keep trying." - LE Modesitt, Jr.
KiltanneN
Legionnaire

Post by KiltanneN »

Mountain Oysters mmmmmm.... gooood....

Extreme foods...

I have been trying to think. The only possibilities I don't consider extreme - but maybe that is just my background so here goes:

Lambs Fry:
Liver of lamb, fried, often with bacon tomatoes & eggs. Almost always consumed for a breakfast.

Vegemite/ Marmite:
Delicious! A savoury spread, very salty, but considered by most to be an acquired taste. Made from a yeast extract - and I have heard someone describe it as being very much like beer before the water is added and the fermentation happens, makes sense considering the history.

Often put in a sandwich with potato chips. Even for those who like it - I am considered a little wierd - I very much enjoy it on a sandwich with clover honey. It really gives a unique combination of flavour experiance...

This is probably not so much extreme as unusual...
The meat of green coconuts. Delicous! hmmmm. I developed a taste for this in Fiji, I grew up there for a part of my childhood.

kilt
The wonderful thing about not planning
Is that failure comes as a complete surprise
And is not preceded by a period of worry or depression
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

I bought a beef heart yesterday.

... not for human consumption though, it is for my cichlids.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
bob k. mando
Defender of Database Integrity et Critic

Post by bob k. mando »

in nairobi whilst eating at a restaurant known as the "Carnivore" i had
hartebeest - quite good. rather beef like in flavor and texture although a little tougher than lazy corn fed cows tend to be.

crocodile - the eater becomes the eaten. yeah baby, who's at the top of the food chain now? [bob is very careful to stay at least 30 ft away from all open water while in africa] as they always say 'it tastes like chicken'. baloney. a white meat with little taste and nothing to interest the palate.

zebra - enh. really tough red meat with a rather gamey taste. no point in eating zebra if there's anything else around.

ostrich - definitely does NOT taste like chicken. i'd rather have chicken any day.

speaking of chicken, the 'Video-bus' (those crazy high tech east africans have 30" tv's and vcr's installed at the front of most of their long haul buses) i took from Arusha to Dar Es Salaam stopped off at a little road side restaurant that had some of the best (and certainly most interestingly spiced) chicken i've ever had in my life. not being a connoisseur i have no idea what was in it.

the mystery meat on a stick in zanzibar was pretty damn good. and i have no idea what it was. that's probably a good thing. being spice islands, the residents of zanzibar tend to use quite a bit.

raw, freshly squeezed sugar cane is good stuff.
Words of wisdom about hippies from Neil Young circa 1970:
"Soldiers are gunning us down,
Should have been done long ago."
bob k. mando

Post by bob k. mando »

oh yes, nairobi also presented me with the opportunity to try "Indiana Pizza".

being from indiana, this was of course irresistible to me. you should be warned that when traveling in foreign countries, their spellings of english words should be considered suspect. it was actually an "Indian Pizza" joint. needless to say, this was rather a surprise for the taste buds. indian pizzas are very thin on the tomato sauce and cheese (sometimes non-existent) and are more into really strange toppings. with curry. i forget exactly what they were offering but there wasn't any pepperoni available (heathens! heathens i say!) and i would have never thought of putting at least half of the options on a pizza.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Ok, I know I'm gonna get abused for this, but the story is too amusing not to tell ... :roll:

RED SNAPPER “SPAMâ€
Last edited by Darb on Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

Sounds...interesting, Brad. :wink:

Speaking of spam... My friend's mom makes "spam sushi." I've never tried it personally, but I hear its pretty good. I don't know what possessed her to open a can of Spam and turn it into sushi... /me shakes my head. Maybe its something from her years spent in Japan durring WWII to get out of being sent the internment camps...I dunno. But she tells some interesting stories--if you can follow her accent and overcome the fact that she tells her stories as if you know what she's talking about...
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

"RIPENED SQUID": My sushi chef tried another old fashioned recipe on me dating back to the days before refrigeration. This one involves rehydrating dried squid, then hanging it in a breezy room to 'ripen' slightly and partially dry back out again before grilling it on a hibachi.

The ripening process (which he only did for 6 hours, but sometimes lasts up to several days depending on how 'ripe' you like it, and how dry/humid the weather is) develops the flavor, and also partially re-dries the squid so that it gets crispy around the edges without either stewing or getting overcooked. Then you just serve it as is, sprinkled with sea salt.

Very tasty ... the squid flavor was definitely boosted by the process.
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

Ah, squid...sounds yummy. I love squid.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

I ate Sushi for the first time ever last night.

It wasn't gross, but it wasn't anything to write home about either.

In defense of sushi, however, I didn't realize until the entree was served (gg seabass) that I was supposed to mix those dollops with soy sauce.

Oh well. We'll be back anyway and I'll try something else!! (no eel though).
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

Well, at least don't try freshwater eel... (I know you won't try it at all) /shudder

You're right about sushi, though. Yeck! I could eat it...but... I dunno. It just didn't appeal to my palate. But raw oysters...yum. Yank the goober out of it's shell, throw it on a cracker with horseradish and hot sauce... Quite tasty.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Sushi is definitely an acquired & studied taste, and not for everybody.

Moreso even than classic Japanese cuisine, sashimi is a study in delicate flavors and textures that are meant to be savored slowly in minutae ... many people who are used to over-flavored supersized shovel-it-into-yer-maw-an-run fast food just won't/don't get it.

Having grown up on the waterfront, fishing and raking for clams, I was captivated by it right away, the first time I tried it, because it appealed to me sense of the sublime, the subtle, the delicate, and also to my inner core of frugality and simplicity.

In order to be enjoyed properly, it's a cuisine that demands your rapt attention, a reverence for the seasons and for the bounty of the sea, and oh so much more.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

Ummm, Brad, are we talking about food or women?
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Yes. :deviate:
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

I’ve had the normal unusual, plus

Snake
Venison – elk and deer

Javelina (wild boar/pig) – My brother killed it with a spear (he was very deep into the SCA)

Tripe – I have a Mexican soup about once a month called menudo that is made of white corn and tripe.

Mountain oysters – a friend of mine was a cowboy ate a very rare one – as he put it “passed quickly through the fireâ€
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

Ghost wrote: Tripe – I have a Mexican soup about once a month called menudo that is made of white corn and tripe.
I've had that soup, too. It was pretty good. :thumb:
Ghost wrote:I had a hamburger along the industrial dock section of Honolulu that was too tender, not quick brown enough and did not taste like beef. We weren’t sure if it was dog, cat or human (there had been several disappearances in that area at the time). :crazy:
lol... We received a different brand of ground beef at work last week. It came in rectangular slabs rather than in bags as we normally get. I used it to make meatloaf--my meatloaf's AWESOME! IMNSHO--and it didn't taste quite right... It had the wrong texture and tasted like no beef I've ever used before... Maybe it was cat, dog, or human, too... :wink:
bob k. mando

Post by bob k. mando »

ahem. not that i have any personal experience with this mind you but human flesh is supposed to taste like pork. i've seen it said numerous places that in asian countries it is referred to as 'long pig'.

i believe that they disposed of the body in 'Fried Green Tomatoes' by substituting it for pork at the diner ... and fed it to the cop investigating the case. ewwww.

this would imply that human's would make a very poor beef substitute indeed.

not that all this is anything but hearsay, it just may be a wrong idea that's circulated around so long everybody believes it now.

Return to “The Tap Room”