HUMOUR (Linguistic): War On Said - say what?

Discussions about writing, peer reviews, word games, and writing contests (re: "volleyball") for amateurs.

Moderator: Ghost

felonius
Circumlocutus of Borg

Post by felonius »

Cho wrote:"And you shouldn't write such horrible, twisted, shocking, nasty things!" Brynnie vituperated.
I was gonna use vituperated next, but Cho beat me to it.

"She's pretty quick on the draw, that one," capitulated felon. :P
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously
Echus Cthulhu Mythos
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Echus Cthulhu Mythos »

"I will be your end Cho" *whaps* ECM
The penis mighter than the sword.
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

"I will be your end, Cho," menaced ECM.

"We'll see who ends whom; I believe it will be me ending you" Cho augured, correctly using the pronoun forms of whom and who.

"Help me end her, Kahrey," pressured ECM.

"I think you should leave her alone," Kahrey cautioned.

"You will help me or suffer untold horror," bullied ECM.

"Leave me alone, or I'll have BRAD hurt you," Kahrey forewarned.

"Please, please, please help me," pushed ECM.

"To hades with you!" Kahrey damned.

"I will poke you with my sharp, pointy fingernail," ECM intimidated.

"Leave her alone," Brad browbeat.

"You can't win! You won't win! You total goofy git!" tormented Cho.

"Some day, some way, I will have my victory!" portended ECM.

"Come with me, miscreant," Brad coerced, dragging ECM off to the whipping post for an attitude adjustment.
I am a poor, wayfaring stranger
Wandering through this world of woe
But there's no sickness, no fear or danger
In that bright land
To which I go
laurie
Spelling Mistress
Location: The part of New York where "flurries" means 2 feet of snow to shovel

Post by laurie »

"I am going to steal all this dialogue and write a Tony Award-winning play," Laurie vowed, laughing all the while.
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

"So where the hell is he?" -- Laurie
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

"Go on," prodded Hunter
"Explanation is not an escape from suffering."

- Gravity Dreams, L.E. Modesitt Jr.
Kahrey
Fairy Tale Heroine - aka "Cinders"

Post by Kahrey »

:lol:

That whole conversation like, has me rolling!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is trial and error. Those who succeed are those who survive their failures and keep trying." - LE Modesitt, Jr.
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

Hunter B wrote:"Why don't you hit him over the head with a rock?" ECM volunteered
"it's been done already" self-effaced Brad, in a fugue of self-abuse. :slap: :smash:
felonius
Circumlocutus of Borg

Post by felonius »

We need more o's as well.

"Would anyone like some beer?" offered felon. "Just make sure to leave your shoes at the door - and no automatic weapons either," he ostracized as an afterthought. :mrgreen:
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

WAR ON SAID: 429 to 1

abjured, absolved, abused, acknowledged, acquiesced, accused, added, admitted, admonished, advised, advocated, affirmed, agreed, alleged, allowed, alluded, amended, announced, answered, aped, appended, applauded, apologized, approved, argued, asked, attested, augured, authorized, averred, avowed,

babbled, badgered, baited, bantered, barked, bawled, belted-out, began, begged, belabored, bellowed, bellyached, berated, bewailed, bitched, blabbed, blared, blathered, blatted, bleated, blurted, blushed, blustered, boasted, bragged, brayed, breathed, bribed, broadcasted, browbeat, bullied, burbled, buzzed

cackled, called, capitulated, carped, castigated, catcalled, caterwauled, cautioned, challenged, chatted, chattered, chanted, cheered, chided, chirped, chortled, chorused, chuckled, clamored, clapped, clarified, coaxed, coerced, commanded, communicated, complained, complied, conceded, concluded, condemned, confessed, confirmed, congratulated, continued, consented, consulted, cooed, coughed, cracked, cried, criticized, croaked, crooned, crowed, cursed,

damned, deadpanned, debated, decided, declaimed, declared, declined, decreed, decried, deflected, demanded, denied, deplored, directed, derided, dithered, disagreed, discussed, dissembled, dissuaded, divulged, drawled, droned,

echoed, effused, ejaculated, elaborated, emphasized, ended, endorsed, enquired, enticed, enumerated, enunciated, enquired, equivocated, erupted, established, exclaimed, exhorted, expanded, expectorated, explained, expostulated, expounded, expressed, extemporized, excoriated

fibbed, flailed, floundered, flouted, fobbed, forewarned, fretted, fussed

gabbed, gagged, gargled, gasped, gesticulated, giggled, gloated, goggled, gossiped, grated,
grimaced, grinned, griped, groaned, grouched, groused, growled, grunted, grumbled, gushed,

hailed, harrumphed, harangued, hectored, heckled, hedged, hinted, hissed, howled, hushed, husked

implied, inferred, inquired, insinuated, instructed, insulted, interjected, intimidated, intoned

jabbered, jeered, jested, jibed, jittered, joked, jousted, judged, jumped-in,

kidded, kvetched

lamented, laughed, lectured, leered, libeled, lied, lisped

maintained, mangled, marveled, meandered, menaced, mentioned, mewled, minimized, misquoted, moaned, mocked, moralized, mouthed, mourned, mumbled, murmured, mused, muttered

nagged, narked, nattered, non-sequitured, noted, nudged

obfuscated, objected, observed, offered, okayed, opined, orated, ordered, ostracize

pardoned, parodied, parroted, pestered, piffled, pleaded, pointed-out, pondered, portended, pontificated, pouted, prayed, preached, pressured, prevaricated, prodded, pronounced, prophesied, proposed, protested, punned, purred, pushed, put-in

quacked, quavered, queried, questioned, quibbled, quipped, quivered, quoted

railed, rambled, ranted, rasped, raved, razzed, rebuked, recalled, recognized, refused, reiterated, relayed, relented, rejoiced, reminded, remarked, remonstrated, requested, repeated, reported, replied, reproached, repudiated, requested, responded, resumed, retaliated, retched, retorted, returned, revealed, ridiculed, riposted, roared, rocked

sang, sassed, schemed, scolded, screamed, screeched, scolded, scoffed, scowled, seethed, self-effaced , shamed, shammed, shot back, shouted, shrieked, shrilled, sighed, simpered, slammed, slandered, slurred, smiled, smirked, snarled, snapped, sneered, sniped, snorted, sniggered, snickered, soothed, sobbed, solicited, spitted, spouted, spoofed, sprayed, squawked, squeaked, squealed, stammered, stated, stipulated, subsumed, suggested, supplied, stuttered, submitted, sub-shushed, swore

taunted, teased, thundered, tittered, tormented, translated, trumpeted, tutted, tut-tutted, twittered,

ululated, undulated, urged, uttered

vaunted, ventured, verbalized, verified, vilified, visited, vituperated, vocalized, voiced, volunteered, vowed

wailed, wallowed, warned, waxed, welcomed, went, wept, whapped, wheezed, whimpered, whined, whispered, whistled, whooped, wished, wondered, worried

yakked, yammered, yawned, yapped, yawped, yelled, yelped, yipped, yowled

zeugma-ed, zinged

:clap: :clap:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

REVENGE OF THE SAID

Darth Spiel slammed his black gauntleted fist onto the nearest panel, and growled incoherently under his breath. Vice Admiral Talk blanched, but stood his ground.

"I warned you against the folly of ignoring the Linguistic Rebel Alliance, Admiral ... and the result was 1 to 429. PATHETIC !"

The Dark Lord gestured, and the elderly admiral suddenly found himself unable to breathe, and being yanked upwards by the throat by invisible forces. His eyes bulged, and face and lips slowly began to turn purple. Moments later, a sharp crack could be heard, and the struggling officer went limp. Spiel gestured dismissively, and Talk flew through the air, crashed against a bulkhead, and slid down like a broken and discard doll. Darth Spiel turned his gaze on the ship's Captain.

"I WANT THE REBELS CAPTURED ALIVE ... ADMIRAL" boomed the Dark Lord, before exiting in a flurry of billowing black robes and dark menace. The bulkhead swooshed shut behind him, like the wingbeat of doom.

The newly promoted Admiral Spake began issuing orders.

"Comm officer - open channels to the Sesquipedalian, the Perspicuous, and the Bellicose", referring to the three largest star destroyers in the flagship's main battlegroup.

"Yessir !" replied the young ensign, amidst a flurry of depressed buttons. Three tiny holograms sprang to life above the transciever console. The holograms saluted smartly, and the Admiral began deploying the fleet ...
Last edited by Darb on Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
felonius
Circumlocutus of Borg

Post by felonius »

:clap: :lol: :clap:

..., although it was no simple task given the tedious polysyllabic digressions of the Sesquipedalian's crew, the tendency of the Perspicuous' officers to radically improve every order he gave, and the strident pugnacity of the Bellicose in general. :deviate: The new Admiral took a deep breath, and then...
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

. . . he prattled, “don’t let those rebels escape me.â€
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

That wouldn't be Princess Leia's unknown twin sister, Lt. Lay-yuh Speakeasy, would it????

Oh, I'm bad today. It must be the fever.

:lol:
In that bright land
To which I go
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

"..." she trailed off
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
Superenigmatix
Defender of the Chronicles Stylesheet

Post by Superenigmatix »

yeeks - I'm not reading this entire thread to see what's been used, but it appears just about any verb can be 'said'

"Votes for women" He emancipated

:)

sE
laurie
Spelling Mistress

Post by laurie »

SuperE: You don't have to read the whole thread - Ghost posts an alphabetical update of the words used on each page.

"But you should read it all," Laurie guffawed, "It's hilarious." :lol:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." -- Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

exploded
interrogated
kicked out
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

The Battle of Metathesis 359

Imperial fleet dropped out of warp in a flying wedge.

The flagship appeared first. The Super Star Destroyer class mega-dreadnaught, The ISD Unspeakable, commanded by Admiral Spake. It’s gargantuan black superstructure loomed huge and silent in the view screens of the waiting rebel fleet, like the spear tip of death itself. True to it's namesake, the mere sight of it frequently left onlookers at a complete loss of words.

Next, the ISD Sesquipedalian dropped out of warp, just in front of the flagship. It’s super-heterodyning quantum-particle refractive hyper shielding was already activated, causing the ambient atoms that drifted freely in it’s path to coruscate in a brilliant flash of cherenkov radiation as the decelerating ship’s Newtonian inertia caused them to impact the shields frontally and annihilate themselves ... radiation that temporarily blinded the sensor screens of the rebels ... screens that had only just been focused at maximum intensity on the just-appeared flagship ... and all narrated in an appropriately pretentious run-on sentence chock-full of techno-babble and excessively long words specifically chosen by yours truly.

The ISD Perspicuous appeared next. In an amazing display of excessively clever (not to mention esoteric and reckless) tactics, the ship deliberately overshot the rebel fleet and dropped out of warp flying BACKWARDS, in a reverse retrograde, neatly cutting off their quarry’s main escape route. The ship’s 3 main ion drives blazed white-hot, in a full-power deceleration burn, as she drifted backwards and settled into position behind the fleet, with all her guns fully charged and pointing forward. The ship was also upside down. However, it promptly began struggling to right itself using it's dorsal and anterior orientation thrusters, after the captain cuffed her helmsman upside the head for the relatively minor maneuvering blunder

The ISD Bellicose, as expected, simply popped in and charged headlong into the midst of the rebel fleet, aggressively disrupting their formations and causing scores of smaller ships to twist and dodge to avoid a collision. Several small fighters, unable to get out of the way in time, exploded dramatically against her lateral screens. "Surrender, scum !!" bombasted the Captain of the Bellicose on all frequencies, in his most bellicose tone of voice.

“We halve you now ... HAVE you now !â€
Last edited by Darb on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

"Ain't nuthin' like a good cuff upside the head to set things right," hooted Cho.
In that bright land
To which I go
laurie
Spelling Mistress

Post by laurie »

"Brad has the threads confused again, " charged Laurie. "He should have put that in the Volleyball thread."

/me thinks, all those words, and only 2 new entries. Sheesh.

Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

"Sheesh. You think I'd get a little gratitude for putting in some extra effort" sputtered Darth Spi ... erm, I mean Brad. :slap:
felonius
Circumlocutus of Borg

Post by felonius »

"Certainly have my vote, Brad," spoke up felonius.
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

WAR ON SAID: 446 to 1

abjured, absolved, abused, acknowledged, acquiesced, accused, added, admitted, admonished, advised, advocated, affirmed, agreed, alleged, allowed, alluded, amended, announced, answered, aped, appended, applauded, apologized, approved, argued, asked, attested, augured, authorized, averred, avowed,

babbled, badgered, baited, bantered, barked, bawled, belted-out, began, begged, belabored, bellowed, bellyached, berated, bewailed, bitched, blabbed, blared, blathered, blatted, bleated, blurted, blushed, blustered, boasted, bombasted, boomed, bragged, brayed, breathed, bribed, broadcasted, browbeat, bullied, burbled, buzzed

cackled, called, capitulated, carped, castigated, catcalled, caterwauled, cautioned, challenged, chatted, chattered, chanted, charged, cheered, chided, chirped, chortled, chorused, chuckled, clamored, clapped, clarified, coaxed, coerced, commanded, communicated, complained, complied, conceded, concluded, condemned, confessed, confirmed, congratulated, continued, consented, consulted, cooed, coughed, cracked, cried, criticized, croaked, crooned, crowed, cursed,

damned, deadpanned, debated, decided, declaimed, declared, declined, decreed, decried, deflected, demanded, denied, deplored, directed, derided, dithered, disagreed, discussed, dissembled, dissuaded, divulged, drawled, drooled, droned,

echoed, effused, ejaculated, elaborated, emancipated, emphasized, ended, endorsed, enquired, enticed, enumerated, enunciated, enquired, equivocated, erupted, established, exclaimed, exhorted, expanded, expectorated, explained, exploded, expostulated, expounded, expressed, extemporized, excoriated

fibbed, flailed, floundered, flouted, fobbed, forewarned, fretted, fussed

gabbed, gagged, gargled, gasped, gesticulated, giggled, gloated, goggled, gossiped, grated, grimaced, grinned, griped, groaned, grouched, groused, growled, grunted, grumbled, guffawed, gushed,

hailed, harrumphed, harangued, hectored, heckled, hedged, hinted, hissed, hooted, howled, hushed, husked

implied, inferred, inquired, interrogated, insinuated, instructed, insulted, interjected, intimidated, intoned

jabbered, jeered, jested, jibed, jittered, joked, jousted, judged, jumped-in,

kidded, kicked-out, kvetched

lamented, laughed, lectured, leered, libeled, lied, lisped

maintained, mangled, marveled, meandered, menaced, mentioned, mewled, minimized, misquoted, moaned, mocked, moralized, mouthed, mourned, mumbled, murmured, mused, muttered

nagged, narked, nattered, non-sequitured, noted, nudged

obfuscated, objected, observed, offered, okayed, opined, orated, ordered, ostracize

pardoned, parodied, parroted, pestered, piffled, pleaded, pointed-out, pondered, portended, pontificated, pouted, prattled, prayed, preached, pressured, prevaricated, prodded, pronounced, prophesied, proposed, protested, punned, purred, pushed, put-in

quacked, quavered, queried, questioned, quibbled, quipped, quivered, quoted

railed, rambled, ranted, rasped, raved, razzed, rebuked, recalled, recognized, refused, reiterated, relayed, relented, rejoiced, reminded, remarked, remonstrated, requested, repeated, reported, replied, reproached, repudiated, requested, responded, resumed, retaliated, retched, retorted, returned, revealed, ridiculed, riposted, roared, rocked

sang, sassed, schemed, scolded, screamed, screeched, scolded, scoffed, scowled, seethed, self-effaced , shamed, shammed, shot back, shouted, shrieked, shrilled, sighed, simpered, slammed, slandered, slurred, smiled, smirked, snarled, snapped, sneered, sniped, sniveled, sniggered, snickered, snorted, soothed, sobbed, solicited, spitted, spoke-up, spoofed, spouted, sprayed, sputtered, squawked, squealed, squeaked, squealed, stammered, stated, stipulated, subsumed, suggested, supplied, stuttered, submitted, sub-shushed, swore

taunted, teased, thundered, tittered, tormented, trailed-off, translated, trumpeted, tutted, tut-tutted, twittered,

ululated, undulated, urged, uttered

validated, vaunted, ventured, verbalized, verified, vilified, visited, vituperated, vocalized, voiced, volunteered, vowed

wailed, wallowed, warned, waxed, welcomed, went, wept, whapped, wheezed, whimpered, whined, whispered, whistled, whooped, wished, wondered, worried

yakked, yammered, yawned, yapped, yawped, yelled, yelped, yipped, yowled

zeugma-ed, zinged
S Adams
Darb
Punoholic

Post by Darb »

WAR ON SAID: 446 to 1
"Aww c'mon ... can't the bad guys get some points too ?" Cajoled Darth Spiel, in that menacing and mellifluous mechanical voice of his. :cry:
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

“You can’t really cry and be menacing at the same time.â€
S Adams

Return to “The Quill & Fountain”