Fanfiction

The unofficial discussion board for "The Poldarks of Nampara".

Moderator: laurie

Isadora
Bookworm

Fanfiction

Post by Isadora »

Just got my first home computer and discovered the world of fanfiction a few months ago. I've been a fan of Poldark for years, so great to discover this forum. There are a lot of fanfiction sites out there, but I haven't found any one writing Poldark fanfiction. Does anyone know of a site that has any? Would love to read and write some.
KiltanneN
Legionnaire

Post by KiltanneN »

Hi Isadora,

Well. You raise an interesting question.

I do not know of any site offering FanFic for Poldark. and It would seem kind of a no-brainer that this board could support such a thing.

However I have strong views on the point of intellectual property. And while we are not opposed to the idea of Fanfiction per se - at this time we have not obtained permission from the owners of the copyright.

Seeing as you have raised the question- I am very interested in asking for that permission, AND since the webamster of our associate site http://www.POLDARK.com is occasionally in touch with Mr Graham's family he has agreed to bring the subject up - but that this is likely to be some time down the road - as of course this is a sensitive time with Mr Graham having passed away a few short weeks ago and we would not want to cause any discomfort for his family members who we would need to talk to.

It may take some time for that to happen - however I do look forward to receiving an answer from them. Hopefully it will mean that at that time we could move forward. But if the answer is no we will of course respect the wishes of the owners of the Poldark rights.

kilt
The wonderful thing about not planning
Is that failure comes as a complete surprise
And is not preceded by a period of worry or depression
Isadora
Bookworm

Post by Isadora »

Dear Kilt,

Thank you for such a prompt reply. Please keep me posted on whether or not your site will eventally support fanfiction. I've already enjoyed reading the various discussions on your forum.

Best Wishes,

Isadora
Sarah
Scribe

Hmm, interesting!

Post by Sarah »

I wondered if this would ever come up. I have done quite a bit of fan fiction for other programmes but have dismissed the idea of even thinking about Poldark fan fic - it is just too big a challenge as so much of it is historical.
Also, I don't really like the idea of attempting to write my own versions of something that is actually a printed book and not just something that was written for television. It's a totally different ball game and I don't see how I could do anything but fail miserably!! Therefore, it's better for my self esteem if I don't even try! :D

(interested to read anyone else's attempts though............!)
Isadora
Bookworm

Post by Isadora »

Oh, but I think part of the fun of fanfiction is just getting an idea, a what if, and just playing with it. My reading and writing experience in fanfic has been primarily with Harry Potter. There are some wonderful writers out there who have done an incredible amout of reseach for a story idea and developed it in such an intriging way, quite as much as one could do for a Poldark story. You could just take a tiny possible moment from one of the novels, and develop something - it wouldn't necessarily require hisotical research. But you are right - to so anything large scale would require such. But that would be part of the fun! What sort of fanfiction have you done? Are you posted anywhere?

Isadora

Return to “Winston Graham”