Song lyrics - Poetry or crap

For discussing poets & poetry, music lyrics (musical poetry), ancient classical literature. Discussion on ancient mythology and folklore are also welcome.

Moderator: Kvetch

Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

This song has great lyrics. Unfortunately, the song itself isn't that great (one of the few times I've been let down by the Pillows).

Translated from Japanese
Sawao Yamanaka wrote:The Pillows- Black Sheep

My agitated mind
Is such a mess
It couldn't get worse
A fire sparks at my feet
It spreads like the wind blows
Engulfing the city in a roar of smoke

Someday, surely
I'll be able to get along with everyone
The boy who had such a dream
Was that me?

There's not a single person
Who'll honestly call out to me
As I listened to the sirens
At long last I understood

Faces and shapes and hearts, everything
Is simply distorted
Even if I knew any kind words
I can't remember them

After I left
Peace returned to the town
It was wonderful
To dream for so long
But I won't return
I'm on a Pillows lyrics spree tonight! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hunter B on Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Explanation is not an escape from suffering."

- Gravity Dreams, L.E. Modesitt Jr.
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Hey Kahrey,I think I need another interpretation, that is if you wouldn't mind.
Another pretty good song, with good lyrics.

Translated from Japanese
Sawao Yamanaka wrote:The Pillows- Wake Up, Frenzy!

The thorns bloomed, hidden by the darkness
You hid them with both hands
Their waning aroma a sweet trap
I saw through it but wanted to test it anyway
And it enervated me

Howevermany times I was hurt
I never really wanted
To leap away
That seriously

Wake up, Frenzy
Without restraint, dazzlingly
Wanting to drown
Please crush the painful everyday
With just a little squeeze

When I walk about unconsciously
I find myself in front of the same tunnel every time
Am I going in now? Or coming out?
Not knowing, still I searched for you
Tearing away the darkness

Even just for an instant
I want to touch you
I never needed it
That seriously

Wake up, Frenzy
Whatever happens is fine
Don’t go easy on me
Just destroy
All those irrefutable predictions

Wake up, Frenzy
Wanting to drown
Might still have a few more coming :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hunter B on Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Hey Kahrey, I believe I sent this one to you... I need another interpretation (if you can believe that). I can't make any sense of the lyrics, and I was hoping you would.

Translated from Japanese
Sawao Yamanaka wrote:The Pillows- I Think I can

Even though you look like him, it doesn’t really suit you-
That twin of yours
What’s wrong?
Your shoelace-
It doesn’t come untied
The sky way high above

I’m lying in wait
Hyena’s Kiss
A hair’s breadth
In everyone’s eyes
That’s generally an impossible bet
I wanna have fun

[Chorus]
I think I can
I think I can
I think I can

Nor day nor night
In the black forest
The gallant chameleon
Glared at the compass
Which had been thrown away.

When you left,
You didn’t say anything
Just a little note
Taped to the door:
I - C - A - N

[Chorus x2]

A priceless dream
I dreamt once
I won’t ever lie again
Waking and sleeping now, I repeat it:
I - C - A - N

[Chorus x3]
I guess I'm kinda a dunce when it comes to interpreting lyrics :slap: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hunter B on Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

My offer still stands, whoever wants to hear stuff from the Pillows just PM me and I'll be sure to send you some stuff ASAP. :mrgreen:

Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

For once I'm not posting a song by the the Pillows.
Really, I'm serious. I've loved her from the day I met her. She's perfect in every way. I can't believe I've never told her. I want to more than anything but I don't think I could handle it if she said she didn't return the feelings. It's tearing me up inside. It eats away at me more every second that passes. I think about telling her every day, every time I see her, but the inexplicable fear of rejection always stops me. Maybe someday I'll get over my fears and just tell her, but for now I just can't risk it. I love her so much I wouldn't just be sad or upset, I'd be broken and utterly devastated. Despite all this I intend to tell her... someday.
Sorry about the lack of stanzas, but it wasn't written with any. What do you think?

ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

A fire sparks at my feet
It spreads like the wind blows
Engulfing the city in a roar of smoke

Powerful imagery. A few little sparks, then WHOOF! the city is engulfed. It's like there's an interest--then suddenly it is an overwhelming obsession. You stand there, confused, amazed, and hopelessly caught up in it.

There's not a single person
Who'll honestly call out to me
As I listened to the sirens
At long last I understood
I like this. I'm assuming it's referencing the sirens from mythology who call out to sailors, weaving a deceptive web that lures them to their death. Your ears are tuned in to the sirens, and there's nobody to speak honestly to you, pull you back from the brink of the abyss. It's kind of sad.

Faces and shapes and hearts, everything
Is simply distorted
Even if I knew any kind words
I can't remember them
This is poignant. (My analysis of meaning): Nothing looks right. Nothing feels right. It's been so long since you've heard any kind words that you can't even remember them any more.

Good lyrics. I like something that makes me think.
I am a poor, wayfaring stranger
Wandering through this world of woe
But there's no sickness, no fear or danger
In that bright land
To which I go
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

I'm not Kahrey, but I love to analyze things. (Even if I'm not correct, I still love it.)
The Pillows- Wake Up, Frenzy!

The thorns bloomed, hidden by the darkness
You hid them with both hands
Their waning aroma a sweet trap
I saw through it but wanted to test it anyway
And it enervated me
Bad things, hurtful things, grow in the darkness. The deceiver hides them, covering them up with soft hands, letting the victim be drawn by the sweet illusory smell. The victim knows the truth, but is so overwhelmed by the desire for the falsely promised sweetness that he goes ahead and grabs for the false promise anyway. Then--ouch. He's hurt.
Howevermany times I was hurt
I never really wanted
To leap away
That seriously
And hurt and hurt. Again and again. Yet, still, the desire for that sweet illusion is overwelming. It reminds me of that old song, "Even the bad love is better than no love; any kind of love is better than no love at all." It's almost masochistic. The victim would rather stay and be hurt by the deceiver than move on and find someone who would offer some real sweetness.
Wake up, Frenzy
Wanting to drown
The image here is very powerful. I can only describe the feelings it brings into my mind as they are not logical. Which, I guess, is logical since frenzy without restraint is by nature illogical. It seems like he wants every sense to be raw and alert, responding to this stimulus. He wants to give himself to it totally, be swept up in it, drowned in it, satiated with it. He doesn't want to think. He just wants to feel, feel all of it. He wants all awareness of the every day blah-blah-blah to be obliterated by the touch of the one he's obsessed with.
When I walk about unconsciously
I find myself in front of the same tunnel every time
Am I going in now? Or coming out?
Not knowing, still I searched for you
Tearing away the darkness
Everything overwhelms him so much. He doesn't know what he's doing. he doesn't know where he is. He doesn't know where he's going. All he knows is that he wants to find that One. The One he is obsessed with. The one who gives him pleasure, even when it's only pain he receives. I like the image of tearing away the darkness. It seems a palpable thing, something he claws at, rips at, hoping to find the One.
Even just for an instant
I want to touch you
Very poignant. It feels like he'd trade everything for the chance to just connect with the One. Just for a second.
I never needed it
That seriously
I don't have an opinion on this phrase. I wish I could comprehend the original language because I suspect there is a layer of meaning in the original language that is either impossible or difficult to translate.

Wake up, Frenzy
Whatever happens is fine
Don’t go easy on me
Just destroy
All those irrefutable predictions
Powerful again. He's calling on that part of himself that just experiences, just feels whatever feeling comes. He doesn't care if it hurts. He doesn't care if it maims him. He doesn't want it to hold back. He wants the full effect, and damn the consequences. He wants to let it roll over him, around him, through him. The last phrase suggests that he hopes that the unchangeable facts of life will be changed. It reminds me of an old Rogers and Hammerstein song "Impossible." Impossible! Impossible! But the world is full of zanies and fools, who don't believe in sensible rules, and all those 'do's' and 'dilly-I-don't's' keep building up impossible hopes. Impossible things are happening every day. He's hoping that the impossible can be transmuted into possibility.

And then you have the chorus again.

I really liked this one.
In that bright land
To which I go
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

Norseraider wrote:For once I'm not posting a song by the the Pillows.
Really, I'm serious. I've loved her from the day I met her. She's perfect in every way. I can't believe I've never told her. I want to more than anything but I don't think I could handle it if she said she didn't return the feelings. It's tearing me up inside. It eats away at me more every second that passes. I think about telling her every day, every time I see her, but the inexplicable fear of rejection always stops me. Maybe someday I'll get over my fears and just tell her, but for now I just can't risk it. I love her so much I wouldn't just be sad or upset, I'd be broken and utterly devastated. Despite all this I intend to tell her... someday.
Sorry about the lack of stanzas, but it wasn't written with any. What do you think?
It's got powerful emotional impact. I can feel the conflicting pressures within--the overwhelming love and desire to tell, and the overwhelming fear of rejection and pain and therefore the unwillingness to tell.

Just a suggestion: Try creating some images to carry those feelings. Something visceral that puts a picture in the mind. Like the one in the Pillows song about the thorns which grew in the darkness and are now hidden in the Other's hands or the fire that sparks at the feet then grows to engulf the world.

It's heady stuff.

Keep developing it.
In that bright land
To which I go
Kahrey
Fairy Tale Heroine - aka "Cinders"

Post by Kahrey »

Good job, Cho! I kept forgetting to come in and have a look about it. I also like to analyze things and determine a meaning, even if it not be the writer's intent. It's always good to be able to listen to a song and have a meaning to it that applies to yourself. To think you're not alone in your feelings, even if it's not what the writer was saying.

I very much liked what you wrote, Norse. I understand what the narrator is feeling. It's meaning is very clear and, again, it's something I can relate to.

:thumb:
"Life is trial and error. Those who succeed are those who survive their failures and keep trying." - LE Modesitt, Jr.
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

Kahrey wrote: It's always good to be able to listen to a song and have a meaning to it that applies to yourself. To think you're not alone in your feelings, even if it's not what the writer was saying.
Thanks. And yup.

The communicator and the one communicated to can both be satisfied, while having totally different interpretations of what is said!

The human mind is a mahvelous thing.

One of the reasons I am MAD for the Bard is because there is so much meat in every line to pick apart and debate. I'm reading MacBeth again for the millionth time, and it just gets better and better.

:clap:
In that bright land
To which I go
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Here's some lyrics from a song by the Pillows

Translated from Japanese.

Sawao Yamanaka wrote:The Pillows- She is Perfect

Her transparent eyes
Tell a lie
No matter where she falls
She stays clean

She is perfect
I'm fall in love
She is nonsect
Like the wind
You can only feel her

Even having nothing
She's happy
Even unpolished
She shines

She is perfect
I'm fall in love
She is nonsect
Like water
There is no substitute

She is perfect
I'm fall in love
She is nonsect
Like the wind
She has no form, no color
You can't hold her
You can only feel her

perfect girl
What do you think?
Last edited by Hunter B on Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kahrey

Post by Kahrey »

I like that. :thumb:
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Thanks Kahrey. Thanks Cho.
About that song about love and fear of rejection. Who ever said I wrote it? If I wrote it I would have put it in the "so, can i post some of my stuff in here?" thread. But I agree it still needs some modifications. One of my friends wrote that. It's actually one of his worst but it's all I could get out of him. I'll pass your compliments along though, and check to see if he'll give me some of his better ones.

Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

I'm going to post one Pillows song every day until I run out starting today. Shouldn't be too long before that happens, unless they come out with a few new albums in the next few days/weeks (I wouldn't complain if that happened however :mrgreen: ).

Kahrey

Post by Kahrey »

Sorry, Norse, I thought you had wrote it. Please tell him it was good. Poetry comes from the heart, no matter what the style or what it's about. He should post some of his stuff on here.
"Life is trial and error. Those who succeed are those who survive their failures and keep trying." - LE Modesitt, Jr.
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Only two problems with that.

1. He doesn't have a computer with access to the internet (easily overcome).

2. He's kind of shy when it comes to his songs (why he let me post that song I may never know)(I did ask for his permision before I posted it).

Kahrey

Post by Kahrey »

Ah, I see. I never really was, of course I posted it shortly after coming here before I really got acquainted with anyone and so if they didn't like it, it didn't hurt me feelings (well, it wouldn't anyways, but you see what I mean).
endall
Professional Wordsmith

Short Interruption

Post by endall »

Did you guys know that if you put a phrase of lyric into Google search it will find the source? I didn't until recently. It's useful for songs you can't quite remember and for finding the actual lyrics not just what you thought you heard!
Derek Smith
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :thumb:

Kahrey

Post by Kahrey »

I'll have to try that, I've just never thought about it.
ChoChiyo
Artificial Intellect

Post by ChoChiyo »

Norseraider wrote:Here's some lyrics from a song by the Pillows

The Pillows- She is Perfect

Her transparent eyes
Tell a lie
No matter where she falls
She stays clean
Interesting verse. It's quite a juxtaposition between the first and second lines. Usually when something is transparent, it's truthful, because it doesn't hide anything. It's clear. You can see it all. But the second line says those transparent eyes tell a lie. It makes the verse intriguing.

No matter where she falls, she stays clean.

Interesting too. Does she stay clean because she's too perfect to get dirty? Or is she so slippery that the dirt can't stick to her, like teflon?

She is perfect
I'm fall in love
She is nonsect
Like the wind
You can only feel her
I like the image of her being like the wind. Noncorporeal. You can only feel the presence...or perhaps your love of her?
Even having nothing
She's happy
Even unpolished
She shines
This is very nice, especially the last two lines. It's like she's naturally beautiful, not artificially beautiful.
She is perfect
I'm fall in love
She is nonsect
Like water
There is no substitute
Again, the last two lines are the golden ones. She's like water--another clear thing. Water--you can't really hold on to it, it slides away, and there is nothing else like water. You can't replace her with anyone else. She's totally unique. And since we are like 90% water, it's essential to us. Like she's essential to him, apparently.
She is perfect
I'm fall in love
She is nonsect
Like the wind
She has no form, no color
You can't hold her
You can only feel her
Nicely reiterates the earlier images and meanings.
perfect girl
I wonder what other essence this girl has that makes her perfect. It seems that she can't be held or controlled, only experienced. It doesn't say whether she reciprocates the love.
What do you think?
It's intriguing.
In that bright land
To which I go
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Here's another song by the Pillows.

Sawao Yamanaka wrote:The Pillows- Come On, Ghost

I wanted to strip off my clothes
Behind the mask, a ferocious smile
Still standing by
Tonight, pry open
Those buried problems
Recycle challenge
Three times quickly, the game of punishment

Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
Aren't I dumb and tamed
Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
I'll sharpen my chipped fangs
Because I want to bite

Those anxious, never-ending songs
A missile in my hands
The rehearsal is taken care of
Tonight, pry open
Those unfinished ordeals
The retirement is cancelled
Fourth battle death match

Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
Looking down, I've forgotten about the sky
Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
I remember, I'll try my hardest
To look for the brightest light

Three times quickly, the game of punishment
Fourth battle death match
Until the hundredth avenue's terminal
Personal combat drive

Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
Aren't I dumb and tamed
Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
I'll sharpen my chipped fangs

Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
Looking down, I've forgotten about the sky
Come on ghost
Come on beast
Come on twin egoist
I remember, I'll try my hardest
To search for the brightest light
Last edited by Hunter B on Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Norseraider wrote:I'm going to post one Pillows song every day until I run out starting today. Shouldn't be too long before that happens, unless they come out with a few new albums in the next few days/weeks (I wouldn't complain if that happened however :mrgreen: ).
EDIT: Every week day, I'll post them on the weekends when I can, but I can't make any promises.

Kahrey

Post by Kahrey »

Here's a couple by Good Charlotte:

Day That I Die

One day I woke up woke up knowing today is the day I will die
Cashdogg was barking went to the park and enjoyed that one last time
Called my mother told her I loved her and begged her not to cry
Wrote her a letter that said I’d miss her and signed that goodbye...

You know the happiest day of my life
I swear the happiest day of my life is the day that I die

(the day that I died)
Can you feel the cold tonight?
(the day that I died)
It sets in but it’s alright
(the day that I died)
Darkness falls I’m letting go
(the day that I died)
All alone but I feel fine

We took a drive and we drove thru d.c.
To see the places we lived, long conversations
We talked of old friends and all the things that we did
Summer nights, drunken fights
Mistakes we made...did we live it right?

You know the happiest day of my life I swear the happiest day of my life
Is the day that I died

(the day that I died)
(the day that I died)
(the day that I died)
(the day that I died)
All alone but I feel just fine

You know the happiest day of my life
I know the happiest day of my life
I swear the happiest day of my life is the day that I died

(the day that I died)
(the day that I died)
(the day that I died)
(the day that I died)
All alone but I feel just fine

Did I live it right?
I hope I lived it right
I hope I lived it right, I know I lived it right
Did I live it right?
I hope I lived it right, I know I lived it right

Bloody Valentine

Oh, my love, please don’t cry
I’ll wash my bloody hands and we’ll start a new life

I ripped out his throat
And called you on the telephone to take off my disguise
Just in time to hear you cry

When you mourn the death of your bloody valentine
The night he died
You mourned the death of your bloody valentine
One last time

Singing...

Oh my love please don’t cry I’ll wash my bloody hands
And we’ll start a new life
I don’t know much at all, I don’t know wrong from right
All I know is that I love you tonight

There was...
Police and flashing lights
The rain came down so hard that night and the
Headlines read a lover died
No tell-tale heart was left to find

When you mourn the death of your bloody valentine
The night he died
You mourned the death of your bloody valentine
One last time

Singing...

Tonight...

He dropped you off I followed him home
Then I stood outside his bedroom window
Standing over him he begged me not to do
What I knew I had to do ’cause I’m so in love with you

Tonight...

Hehe....
Hunter B
Buster

Post by Hunter B »

Nice, I like 'em.

Return to “Poetry, Lyrics & Ancient Classics”