LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by KarenHunt »

I want to try something slightly different. The idea is I'll start with a relatively obscure quote, then add less obscure ones each day or other day. The goal is:

Name the person:

"There is a sad disconnectedness that overcomes a library when its owner is gone."

If no answers by 3/10, I'll add a different quote by the same person.

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

KarenHunt wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 am ...
Name the person:
"There is a sad disconnectedness that overcomes a library when its owner is gone."
Cazaril

BTW. Did you know? . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cazaril-Tambour%C3%A8s
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 pm

Hmmmm...
I know that South Ibra was across the ridge of mountains that separates Darthaca from the bulk of the three Ibran-speaking countries, but Cazaril was Chalionese, and no part of Chalion was on the Darthacan side of the ridge. Must be a different place....
Last edited by voralfred on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Lest people don't see the new question (very original, Karen, this takes us out of the routine...)
KarenHunt wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 am I want to try something slightly different. The idea is I'll start with a relatively obscure quote, then add less obscure ones each day or other day. The goal is:

Name the person:

If no answers by 3/10, I'll add a different quote by the same person.

Karen Hunt

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 pm
KarenHunt wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 am ...
Name the person:
Cazaril

It is not Cazaril, but that's not a bad try.
EDIT: regarding Cazaril-Tambour - I know Lois moves locations around if it serves her purposes to do so. My money says it's not wrong, just moved.
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

KarenHunt wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:12 pm
EDIT: regarding Cazaril-Tambour - I know Lois moves locations around if it serves her purposes to do so. My money says it's not wrong, just moved.

I was just kidding, and pulling EPS's leg ! It's an old tradition between him and me !

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

Adding a second quotation, more distinctive to the character, but still somewhat obscure...
KarenHunt wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 am I want to try something slightly different. The idea is I'll start with a relatively obscure quote, then add less obscure ones each day or other day. The goal is:

Name the person:
There is a sad disconnectedness that overcomes a library when its owner is gone.
No artificial shortages!
If no answers by 3/11-12, I'll add a different quote by the same person.

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

Name the person:
There is a sad disconnectedness that overcomes a library when its owner is gone.
No artificial shortages!
All the geniuses I ever met were so just part of the time. To qualify, you only have to be great once, you know. Once when it matters.
If no answers by 3/12-13, I'll add something else descriptive of the same person (maybe not a quote of the person, but a quote about them).

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

Name the person:
No artificial shortages!
All the geniuses I ever met were so just part of the time. To qualify, you only have to be great once, you know. Once when it matters.
XXX lumbered in, dressed for the day in his comfortable rumpled suit, scarcely more form-fitting than his pajamas. It was tailor-made garb, appropriate to his status as YYY, but he must, ZZZ reflected, have driven his tailor to despair before coaxing just the fit he wanted, With lots of room in the pockets.
If no answers by 3/14-15, I'll add something else descriptive of the same person (maybe not a quote of the person, but a quote about them).
(Only looking for XXX -- YYY and ZZZ are just to keep it from becoming too clear who this is)

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Name the person:
No artificial shortages!
XXX lumbered in, dressed for the day in his comfortable rumpled suit, scarcely more form-fitting than his pajamas. It was tailor-made garb, appropriate to his status as YYY, but he must, ZZZ reflected, have driven his tailor to despair before coaxing just the fit he wanted, With lots of room in the pockets.
If no answers by 3/14-15, I'll add something else descriptive of the same person (maybe not a quote of the person, but a quote about them).
(Only looking for XXX -- YYY and ZZZ are just to keep it from becoming too clear who this is)

Karen Hunt
Lord Auditor Professor Uncle Vorthys

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:21 am Lord Auditor Professor Uncle Vorthys
Bon dieu ... mais c'est bien sûr !

(Commissaire Bourrel in "Les cinq dernières minutes".)
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:21 am

Name the person:
No artificial shortages!

Karen Hunt
Lord Auditor Professor Uncle Vorthys
DING DING DING! Got it!

As a note, next quote was going to be (with removals as needed):
Dr. Vorthys was one of the two recent appointees of Gregor's who was not in the military mold. He was a professor emeritus of engineering failure analysis from Vorbarr Sultana University, and had written the text on his subject. Several of them, in fact. He looked a professor, stout, white-haired, smiling, rumpled, with a noble nose and big ears. Late in his career he had become philosophically interested in the connections between sociopolitical and engineering integrity; his addition to Gregor's array of Auditors had brought in some welcome technical expertise, not that the Auditors exactly worked as a team.

Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, so let's try your method.

Not a longer quote at the same place but more and more unrelated quotes from the same character

First one
"Y'know, there's something backwards about this. . . ."
Here the ... are actually put by LMB in the character's line, they are not mine to indicate I only posted part of the line, as I sometimes do. In that case I use parentheses, like this : (...)

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

First one
Here the ... are actually put by LMB in the character's line, they are not mine to indicate I only posted part of the line, as I sometimes do. In that case I use parentheses, like this : (...)

Second one
"Everything. Even the light."
I should really have started with this one, which I think is much harder than the first one, therefore :
Bonus : Until I post the third quote, in a few days, I'll give 1/2 extra point for the context of this line. I'll be sole judge of the amount of context needed, so be quite explicit, please. Just the book is not enough.

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:18 pm First one

Second one
"Everything. Even the light."
I should really have started with this one, which I think is much harder than the first one, therefore :
Bonus : Until I post the third quote, in a few days, I'll give 1/2 extra point for the context of this line. I'll be sole judge of the amount of context needed, so be quite explicit, please. Just the book is not enough.
Finally got that one: Cetaganada! Ivan talking to Yenaro about what he saw while he was upstairs.

Karen
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Correct !
So one and a half point and the next quote.
Last edited by voralfred on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

Where is this place?

"XXX ... has never in its history been taken by assault."
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

2nd quotation...

Where is this place?
Strange. I was lost in it, too…it is haunted, you know.
Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

3rd quotation...

Where is this place?
The town ramparts flared back along the tops of the ravines like the shape of a boat with the XXX at its prow, then turned inward in a long wall forming the stern.
Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

4th quotation...

Where is this place?
The town ramparts flared back along the tops of the ravines like the shape of a boat with the XXX at its prow, then turned inward in a long wall forming the stern.
“Indeed,” said AAA, with a sly smile, “the birds of the XXX are veritable courtiers among crows.”
Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

Where is this place?
“Indeed,” said AAA, with a sly smile, “the birds of the XXX are veritable courtiers among crows.”
Every lady-in-waiting in the XXX, whether they’d ever borne a child or not, had a dozen country remedies to press upon me.
Karen Hunt
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

XXX is Toledo's Alcazar.

As is well known, the architects of this remarkable fortress based its plans on the Zangre of Cardegoss, which can be seen on each of KarenHunt's posts

KarenHunt
Scribe Adept

Post by KarenHunt »

voralfred wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:02 pm XXX is Toledo's Alcazar.

As is well known, the architects of this remarkable fortress based its plans on the Zangre of Cardegoss, which can be seen on each of KarenHunt's posts
Correct enough!

A point and the baton for you
Karen Hunt
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, so if the first quote is not found soon, instead of extending one quote, I'll again give disconnected quotes from the same character
“That, too. But you would not believe all the forms that have to be filled out, afterward.”
Bonus : what is "That" ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

One quote of this character :
“That, too. But you would not believe all the forms that have to be filled out, afterward.”
Bonus #1 : what is "That" ?

A second one
"Mister, I don't want to stop you!"
Bonus #2 : To whom is this told ?

Each bonus is for 1/2 :sherlock:

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”