LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

voralfred wrote:A longer quote
A certain thick and well-secured portfolio was taken under the personal supervision of XXX YYY. Persons short and tall were loaded, unloaded, rearranged, and loaded again.

Book ?
What character is " XXX YYY" ?
any unambiguous designation is OK here but see bonus #2




Bonus #1 : though it is not explictly said in the text just around this quote, it is rather evident from an earlier passage in the book what is in this porfolio. So what is it ?

Bonus #2 :
In another book, we learn that the character XXX YYY was called using several nicknames (variants of given name rather than descriptive nicknames, really)
So to get the bonus you need
-full standard given name
-at least two variants mentioned in the other book, in the context of XXX YYY fighting in favor or disfavor of one variant compared to another


This quote is already more than 5 days old. A hint or a longer quote does not reinitialize the "no ping-pong" period. So any player can answer the main question now.
Hints :
1) it is in the Vorkosigan Saga
2) XXX YYY only exists in the last four books
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

While I am at it, a slightly stronger hint
voralfred wrote:A longer quote
A certain thick and well-secured portfolio was taken under the personal supervision of XXX YYY. Persons short and tall were loaded, unloaded, rearranged, and loaded again.

Book ?
What character is " XXX YYY" ?
any unambiguous designation is OK here but see bonus #2




Bonus #1 : though it is not explictly said in the text just around this quote, it is rather evident from an earlier passage in the book what is in this porfolio. So what is it ?

Bonus #2 :
In another book, we learn that the character XXX YYY was called using several nicknames (variants of given name rather than descriptive nicknames, really)
So to get the bonus you need
-full standard given name
-at least two variants mentioned in the other book, in the context of XXX YYY fighting in favor or disfavor of one variant compared to another


This quote is already more than 5 days old. A hint or a longer quote does not reinitialize the "no ping-pong" period. So any player can answer the main question now.
Hints :
1) it is in the Vorkosigan Saga
2) XXX YYY only exists in the last four books
3) XXX YYY is seen "in the flesh" in three of them, and in one of them (I'm not telling you which, not in the book of the quote, obviously) only as scans on a holocube
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

voralfred wrote:While I am at it, a slightly stronger hint
voralfred wrote:A longer quote
A certain thick and well-secured portfolio was taken under the personal supervision of XXX YYY. Persons short and tall were loaded, unloaded, rearranged, and loaded again.

Book ?
What character is " XXX YYY" ?
any unambiguous designation is OK here but see bonus #2




Bonus #1 : though it is not explictly said in the text just around this quote, it is rather evident from an earlier passage in the book what is in this porfolio. So what is it ?

Bonus #2 :
In another book, we learn that the character XXX YYY was called using several nicknames (variants of given name rather than descriptive nicknames, really)
So to get the bonus you need
-full standard given name
-at least two variants mentioned in the other book, in the context of XXX YYY fighting in favor or disfavor of one variant compared to another


This quote is already more than 5 days old. A hint or a longer quote does not reinitialize the "no ping-pong" period. So any player can answer the main question now.
Hints :
1) it is in the Vorkosigan Saga
2) XXX YYY only exists in the last four books
3) XXX YYY is seen "in the flesh" in three of them, and in one of them (I'm not telling you which, not in the book of the quote, obviously) only as scans on a holocube

Oh, come on !
Counting from the end, you can easily deduce in which book XXX YYY is born !
That should be about almost as strong a hint as giving you his name.
And there is a further hint in this hint.....
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
Reede Kullervo
Scribe Adept
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Reede Kullervo »

Aral Alexander Vorkosigan, Sasha, Alex :-)).
Genteman Jole and Red Queen :-)).
Audaces fortuna iuvat.
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

You are correct for the main question and the second bonus.

You get the next quote and 1 and 1/2 points

First bonus still for grabs....
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
Reede Kullervo
Scribe Adept
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Reede Kullervo »

Right or wrong, what I also saw was that you made an enemy, and left him alive behind you. Great charity. Bad tactics.
Book?
Who said that?
To whom?
Audaces fortuna iuvat.
JKCade
Literature Addict
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm
Location: Choctaw, OK

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by JKCade »

"Right or wrong, what I also saw was that you made an enemy, and left him alive behind you. Great charity. Bad tactics.


Book? The Curse of Chalion
Who said that? Cazaril
To whom? Iselle
User avatar
Reede Kullervo
Scribe Adept
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:16 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Reede Kullervo »

Yes :-)).
JK, your turn :-)).
I'll add your Sherlock tomorrow :-)).
Audaces fortuna iuvat.
JKCade
Literature Addict
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm
Location: Choctaw, OK

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by JKCade »

"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts."


Book?
Speaker?
Who are they speaking to?
What are they speaking about?
JKCade
Literature Addict
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm
Location: Choctaw, OK

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by JKCade »

"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts. My great-great-great-grandfather"--[they] paused to check the generations on [their] fingers, and nodded...


Book?
Speaker?
Who are they speaking to?
What are they speaking about?

I have deliberately left out the sex of the speaker, if any.
JKCade
Literature Addict
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm
Location: Choctaw, OK

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by JKCade »

"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts. My great-great-great-grandfather"--[they] paused to check the generations on [their] fingers, and nodded--"came north to the river ridge from [a place] with his brother almost two hundred years ago to clear land."


Book?
Speaker?
Who are they speaking to?
What are they speaking about?
Where/what is [a place]?
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote:"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts. My great-great-great-grandfather"--[they] paused to check the generations on [their] fingers, and nodded--"came north to the river ridge from [a place] with his brother almost two hundred years ago to clear land."

Just guessing

Book? Definitely in TSK; probably TSK1 Beguilement, just possibly TSK2 Legacy; I put bets it is not in any of the two later ones
Speaker? Fawn
Who are they speaking to? Dag (possibly among others?)
What are they speaking about? Bluefield family story
Where/what is [a place]? Wherever the Bluefield family lived before moving north....


It really is a hard one, and I my bookshelves are in such a disarray I cannot get hold of my TSK books...
"they" is a bit misleading : I believe there is only one speaker, since you write "speaker" rather than "speakers" and though it is easy to have many listeners, several speakers speaking in a single voice is pretty hard (though not altogether impossible) to achieve.
When I want to leave the gender undisclosed, I use he/she/it (to allow for a Herm or a Ba in Vorkosiverse - even if the quote is not in the Vorkosiverse)
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JKCade
Literature Addict
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm
Location: Choctaw, OK

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by JKCade »

You are correct!
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

New quote :
God, I'm in love, thought Miles. Brother Miles wants YOU for the Reformation Army...
Book ?
YOU ?

Hint: it is not as easy I you think....
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote :
God, I'm in love, thought Miles. Brother Miles wants YOU for the Reformation Army... then got hold of his thoughts. Here, now, was the make-or-break point for his scheme, bla bla bla
Book ?
YOU ?
What is Miles' scheme ?

Hint: it is not as easy I you think....

the "..." after "Army"are really part of the text.
I'm stopping the quote in the middle of a sentence, which I would normally indicate as "..." but here I write "bla bla bla" to avoid confusion
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

An even longer quote :
God, I'm in love, thought Miles. Brother Miles wants YOU for the Reformation Army... then got hold of his thoughts. Here, now, was the make-or-break point for his scheme, and all the persiflage, verbal misdirection, charm, chutzpah, and bullshit he could muster weren't going to be enough, not even tied up with a big blue bow.
The wounded want power, nothing else; they think it will keep them from being hurt again. This one will not be interested in XXX's strange message—at least, not yet. ... Miles took a deep breath.
Book ?
YOU ?
What is Miles' scheme ?
XXX ?

If you answer by memory, you don't have to give XXX's name, nor YOU's name, just explain in a few words who these characters are.



Hint: it is not as easy I you think : YOU is not Ekaterin.

the "..." after "Army"are really part of the text, and also those after "not yet", I'm not skipping any word.
I'm now going to the end of the second paragraph, too.

Bonus: for 1/2 point, give XXX's name and the real author of "XXX's strange message" and the book it comes from.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean
Posts: 3905
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Ghost »

Borders of Infinity, Tris, rebuild the whole fricking army.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

Wow ! A Ghost apparition !

Correct, the next quote and one sherlock (bonus still pending)
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean
Posts: 3905
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Ghost »

“Isn’t one’s commanding officer, even a XXX one, too important to mislay?”

Speaker
XXX
and book
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

A lil' hint, maybe ?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant
Posts: 3620
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 pm
Location: Flanders, Belgium, EU

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Ghost wrote:“Isn’t one’s commanding officer, even a XXX one, too important to mislay?”
Speaker
XXX
and book
A lil' gamble:
Speaker Duv Galeni
XXX Dendarii
and book Brothers in Arms
Image

And also *without* any window in: https://youtu.be/B5jSun3F7cc

Image
User avatar
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean
Posts: 3905
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:53 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Ghost »

Sorry wrong answer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

Still, a lil' hint might help...
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

Ghost wrote:“Isn’t one’s commanding officer, even a XXX one, too important to mislay?”

Speaker
XXX
and book
How could I have forgotten !
Very first time I met Aral ! Also, incidentally, Aral's first meeting with Cordelia...

She is speaking
XXX=Barrayaran
in Shards of Honor
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
User avatar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim
Posts: 5752
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 am
Location: Paris

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

Ghost ? yoo-hoo ?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
Post Reply

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”