LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

JKCade wrote:
AAA appeared to digest this "Do you have BBB's thing, CCC?"
A set of short answers that actually fit, but, I suspect, are wrong:

Book? Komarr
AAA? Miles
BBB? Vorzohn
CCC? Madame Vorsoisson
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Extremely close, but not quite correct...
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Bonus #1 here is now free for grabs for anyone, including JKCade (but not me ;) )
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"...The tissue sampling doesn't hurt because they use a medical microstun, but when the stun wears off, it aches for a while. They only need a tiny sample from you, so it won't be much."
"AAA appeared to digest this "Do you have BBB's thing, CCC?"

Book?
AAA?
BBB?
CCC?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

This is getting ridiculous. I have been waiting for days for EPS to correct his entry. In fact, though I originally had no idea about that quote (except a vague feeling it might be somewhere in the TSK universe) as soon as he posted the answer I remembered the incident. I did not need the extended quote (though I suppose I would have guessed at that point had EPS not given me the clue before).
So I really think that at least half the sherlock is his due...
He might even deserve the next quote ;)
Anyway :
Book : Komarr
BBB : Vorzohn
indeed, but
AAA: Nikki
CCC: "Lord Vorkosigan" in the quote, a.k.a. Miles since his grandfather had died and his father was still alive. "Lord Vorkosigan" is not a "fixed" character...

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Correct!
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

James: I saw you gave me the full :sherlock: but really, it is unfair !
I only guessed because of EPS's partial answer. He does really deserve half the point !

Everybody: New quote
“ (…) What's so magic about being XXX, and where can I get some?"
(…) means that the quote starts in the middle of the speaker’s utterance, but goes till its end.

Book ?
Speaker ?
Person spoken to ?
XXX ?

Sorry, I have no bonus to add.
But you have one still pending bonus here (Bonus #1).
And also Bonus #3 here
(Bonuses #1 and #2 have already been answered there) Since Elli Quinn ahd been found as answer to the main question, you have to name six other women.
And I am sure there are more bonuses ! Just track back my questions !

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

voralfred: I corrected the points in the Sherlock thread, thank you for pointing out the omission.

E Pericoloso Sporgersi: My most sincere apologies, I can only blame my lack of attention to detail.

James
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

JKCade wrote: E Pericoloso Sporgersi: My most sincere apologies, I can only blame my lack of attention to detail.

James
Don't worry about me having a ½ point more or less.
I took me 7.33 years to amass 43 points. Say on average 5.86 points per year.
Just to equal Voralfred's present score (146.5), it would take me another 25 years.

But of course Voralfred too would continue earning points. Assuming I would make points faster than he, and I would manage to catch up with his future score,
I would be way past my 100th birthday. Image Which is extremely unlikely.

Unless Baron Bharaputra's facility has a branch in Cuba ... Image
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Do people see my new quote ?
“ (…) What's so magic about being XXX, and where can I get some?"
(…) means that the quote starts in the middle of the speaker’s utterance, but goes till its end.

Book ?
Speaker ?
Person spoken to ?
XXX ?

Sorry, I have no bonus to add.
But you have one still pending bonus here (Bonus #1).
And also Bonus #3 here
(Bonuses #1 and #2 have already been answered there) Since Elli Quinn ahd been found as answer to the main question, you have to name six other women.
And I am sure there are more bonuses ! Just track back my questions !

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Bothers in Arms, Elli, Miles, and Komarran.

What no bonus question :slap: (I'm mildly disappointed :D )
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Correct, you get the next question and one full :sherlock:

As for bonuses... I gave you links to two older ones ;)

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Ghost ?
Yoo-hoo ?
DId you disappear, again ?
I'm sorry, I have not visited the site for weeks..
In fact I am correcting the new translation "Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen" has finally be translated into french, and it took a lot of my attention.
So anyway, we can wait a few more days, but unless you favor us with a new reapparition soon, we'll have to forgo your turn and ask someon else to post a new question.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

I think we should now allow any player to post a new question on a "first come, first post" policy.
Of course, Ghost is welcome to post, provided he does so before anyone else does.
Whether the psoter is Ghost or not, the 5 days exclusion period applies to Ghost and only to him.

I mean: 5 days exclusion on the post after the next, "open" one. In principle Ghost should not be allowed at all to answer the first, "open" quote ; if he posts it before anyone does, well that's obvious, since it would be his won one. And if he does not, as a penalty for not taking his turn, though if noone answers such a post for more than 10 days, say, than he'll be allowed to anwser it.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, so I see I must do it myself. So in order to make up for time lost, let us try a little time travel:
So, he’d not traveled quite so far back in time as the place’s crude look suggested.
Book ?
Who is "he" ?
What is this thing about "back in time" ?

Bonus:
Shortly after thinking he did not travel "quite so far back in time as.." , he found out he did "travel far" enough, "back in time". What was his first inkling that this was indeed the case?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Hint : this quote is not in the Vorkosigan Saga.
So that leaves only 10 books, at latest count.

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:Hint : this quote is not in the Vorkosigan Saga.
So that leaves only 10 books, at latest count.
I'm sure it's in "The Spirit in the Cellar", but I can't find my copy to name the other elements.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

I am sure you can find spirits in your apartement, too ! Or else, I am very much wrong about you....
OK, one further hint: whatever spirit is related to the quote, he/she/it is not in a ring !
Only nine books left !

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

And a Happy New Year !

As a New Year present, one more hint:

It is not in TSK.

Only 5 books left...

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

So, he’d not traveled quite so far back in time as the place’s crude look suggested.
There is no time travel in the "World of the five gods" anymore than in any of the other books by LMB.
So this "time travel" is just ordinary travel in space. "He" is looking for a far-away, backward area where the conditions that prevail would be sufficiently close, for his purpose, to those that prevailed long before in the area he started from, but have changed there.

Book ?
Who is "he" ?

Bonus:
Shortly after thinking he did not travel "quite so far back in time as.." , he found out he did "travel far" enough, "back in time". What was his first inkling that this was indeed the case?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote ?
“So, he’d not traveled quite so far back in time as the place’s crude look suggested. Not to the world of AAA BBB’s era, when these CCC tribes had held their high fastnesses against the invaders... ”
There is no time travel in the "World of the five gods" anymore than in any of the other books by LMB.
So this "time travel" is just ordinary travel in space. "He" is looking for a far-away, backward area where the conditions that prevail would be sufficiently close, for his purpose, to those that prevailed long before in the area he started from, but have changed there, since the era of AAA BBB.

Book ?
Who is "he" ?

Yiou don't have to mention what CCC is, but it is too much of a hint for me to put in full. As for AAA BBB see below:

Bonus #1:

Bonus #2
AAA BBB?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Is anybody still looking at this, but not finding the quote because it is too difficult?
Or is noone playing at all?

One more attempt with a longer quote. Since I did already make clear that the quote is in the "World of the five gods" the reference to a "Temple" is not a real hint.
“So, he’d not traveled quite so far back in time as the place’s crude look suggested. Not to the world of AAA BBB's era, when these mountain tribes had held their high fastnesses against the invaders as the DDD forest tribes had not. Or maybe the FFF had taken one look at the damp precipitous country and decided they didn’t want it that much. The Temple’s invasion in these lands, replacing the old ways with the new, had been a slower process, more a gradual weeding out than a violent burning over. With a chance, a hope, if not a prayer, that they’d not uprooted everything…”

So this "time travel" is just ordinary travel in space. "He" is looking for a far-away, backward area where the conditions that prevail would be sufficiently close, for his purpose, to those that prevailed long before in the area he started from, but have changed there, since the era of AAA BBB.

Book ?
Who is "he" ?

CCC has been revealed as "mountain", DDD is an adjective that applies to forest tribes, as opposed to mountain tribes.

Bonus #1:
Shortly after thinking he did not travel "quite so far back in time as.." , he found out he did "travel far" enough, "back in time". What was his first inkling that this was indeed the case, that
they’d not uprooted everything…
?

Bonus #2
AAA BBB? (BBB is a name preceded by a capitalized adjective AAA)
FFF ? an adjective describing a people, whose leader was AAA BBB

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:Is anybody still looking at this, but not finding the quote because it is too difficult?
Sorry. I still have no clue.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, OK so a longer quote and a hint: we have agreed together to include this book.
The names are given explicitly since they are not so big a clue.
“The woman smiled hesitantly at him. “I’m Beris. That’s my brother Bern.”
Bern offered more reluctantly, “This is the summer grazing camp for Linkbeck, the village in the valley. Our hunting camp in winter.”
So, he’d not traveled quite so far back in time as the place’s crude look suggested. Not to the world of AAA BBB's era, when these mountain tribes had held their high fastnesses against the invaders as the DDD forest tribes had not. Or maybe the FFF had taken one look at the damp precipitous country and decided they didn’t want it that much. The Temple’s invasion in these lands, replacing the old ways with the new, had been a slower process, more a gradual weeding out than a violent burning over. With a chance, a hope, if not a prayer, that they’d not uprooted everything...
No. He eyed the great dog, its furry triangular ears pricked as it tracked the progress of the meat strips to his mouth. A certainty. “That dog. Who owns it?”

Book ?
Who is "he" ?

CCC has been revealed as "mountain", DDD is an adjective that applies to forest tribes, as opposed to mountain tribes. No half-point for DDD.

The longer quote contains the answer to the first bonus. Only onr bonus left.
Bonus #1:
Shortly after thinking he did not travel "quite so far back in time as.." , he found out he did "travel far" enough, "back in time". What was his first inkling that this was indeed the case, that [quote]they’d not uprooted everything…[/quote]?

Bonus
AAA BBB? (BBB is a name preceded by a capitalized adjective AAA)
FFF ? an adjective describing a people, whose leader was AAA BBB[/quote]

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Oh come on !
There are now altogether six books in the "World of the five gods" but we have not yet agreed to include the last one "Penric's Mission" so it has to be in one of the first five books in this word.

The name of the book and the name of "He", the "time-traveler" ( same as "him" in the first sentence "The woman smiled hesitantly at him.") is all you need to win the point and hte next quote.
"He" is one of the main protagonists in this book, (not a minor character like Beris and Bern) but does not appear in any other one.

It cannot be that hard !

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”