LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

JKCade
Literature Addict

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by JKCade »

"We don't want to stay here"', said AAA. "I want to get back to my creatures!"
BBB-CCC waved his nibbled pizza slice in the air. "Asylum?"
"That's not amusing even as a joke," said DDD. "Do you have any idea of the legal complications involved in giving political asylum to minors?"
"I'm not sure I was joking, exactly," BBB-CCC said mildly. "But wait for the EEE to eat, please."

Book?
AAA?
BBB-CCC?
DDD?
Who/What are EEE?

Not sure how to explain "BBB-CCC", other than to say, when you know who it is, you'll know who it is.
And you can't just answer, "Oh, it's Bob". It has to be as it's written in the book.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:Book? Cryoburn
AAA? Jin
BBB-CCC? Vorlynkin-San
Almost.
Two out of three. :cry:
Well, the rule of the game is not to have to remember all the details. Once one guesses what book and around where in the book the quote is, it is allowed to leaf through hit to find the right page.
And EPS certainly guessed the right book generall, where it was, but answered first by guessing BBB-CCC incorrectly, and then leafed thorough, and found out his guess was wrong.
But he could have corrected his guess ! This is allowed by the rules !

Since times goes by and EPS has not corrected his guess, I guesses from his answer what the page is .Now I can answer everything :
JKCADE wrote:"We don't want to stay here"', said AAA. "I want to get back to my creatures!"
BBB-CCC waved his nibbled pizza slice in the air. "Asylum?"
"That's not amusing even as a joke," said DDD. "Do you have any idea of the legal complications involved in giving political asylum to minors?"
"I'm not sure I was joking, exactly," BBB-CCC said mildly. "But wait for the EEE to eat, please."

Book?
AAA?
BBB-CCC?
DDD?
Who/What are EEE?
Book? Cryoburn
AAA? Jin
BBB-CCC? Miles-san
DDD? Vorlynkin
Who/What are EEE? children (Jin and Mina)

Now I believe the entire point should go to EPS since his answer told me where to look. I understand he did not want to ask the next quote. Unless he wants to change his mind, I'll be happy to post it.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

The answer is correct. I will post the point to EPS.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Hi Francis (a.k.a. EPS) Please confirm you don't want the next quote, and I'll post one. Or change your mind and post it yourself, if you feel like it, of course, as it really belongs to you.

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote:... Please confirm you don't want the next quote, and I'll post one. ...
Vas-y, cher ami.
I'm still assidiously struggling to overcome my bout of laziness. Image
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

"Dammit, if I don't get something to do soon, I'm going to be the first case of human spontaneous combustion recorded on vid."
Book ?
Who is talking ?
To whom ?

Bonus :
The speaker suggested something very specific he could do. What did he suggest ?
Was he given something to do shortly after this exchange ? If yes, was it what he suggested specifically ?

In principle, you are not allowed to answer at all, EPS. That should fit with your bout of laziness. Well, if there are no answers after several hints, or longer quotes, I'll tell you if I feel like lifting the ban, but it will be much more than 5 days.
This does not apply to the bonus. The bonus you can answer any time. It would probably be a big hint for other players... ;)

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:
"Dammit, if I don't get something to do soon, I'm going to be the first case of human spontaneous combustion recorded on vid."
Bonus :
The speaker suggested something very specific he could do. What did he suggest ?
Was he given something to do shortly after this exchange ? If yes, was it what he suggested specifically?
"He" suggested to take "her" sailing on "the" lake.
Yes. "He" took her for a sailing excursion on his newly acquired second-hand sailboat.
OR
"He" could go buy a piece of jewellery as a present for someone.
Yes. No, "she" dragged "him" into the shallow water of the little lake in the park.

Do I need to give names? That would be telling the complete solution.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:
voralfred wrote:
Bonus :
Was he given something to do shortly after this exchange ? If yes, was it what he suggested specifically?
"He" suggested to take "her" sailing on "the" lake.
Yes. "He" took her for a sailing excursion on his newly acquired second-hand sailboat.
OR
"He" could go buy a piece of jewellery as a present for someone.
Yes. No, "she" dragged "him" into the shallow water of the little lake in the park.

Do I need to give names? That would be telling the complete solution.
Oh, recovering from your bout of laziness already ? As long as you don't have to post a new quote...

Your attempts at the bonus would indeed be strong hints to other players, if they were correct.. Alas, neither of the books you suggest is the correct one !

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:
Because of the "recorded on vid", it can't be the world with 5 gods or the one with none at all, nor Earth of The Spirit Ring.

That leaves the Nexus universe.

I'll have to mull on that a bit longer.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: (...)
Because of the "recorded on vid", it can't be the world with 5 gods or the one with none at all, nor Earth of The Spirit Ring.

That leaves the Nexus universe.

I'll have to mull on that a bit longer.
EPS : Very pertinent remark, but unsufficient to get the bonus.
It still leaves a score or so of books, counting "Falling Free" and _EoA_ (and the "glueing pages" of Borders of infinity !)

("Dreamweaver's Dilemma" is out of bounds)

BTW, don't give names. Leave the names of the books and characters for the players who are allowed to answer.
Your attempts on the bonus were very nicely worded. Too bad the books were not the right one !

JKCade : that I posted the question instead of EPS does not change your status; you'll be allowed to answer from Friday April 8th on, even if I give a longer quote or various hints (or if EPS's finds the bonus, which would undoubtedly be a strong hint), the "ping-pong rule" time limit is fixed once and for all.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Hurray ! I'm able to log in again !
I wanted to give a longer quote earlier, but I couldn't ! Also a second bonus.
Oh, well:
"How much time? Dammit, if I don't get something to do soon, I'm going to be the first case of human spontaneous combustion recorded on vid." He jerked a rude finger at the ceiling. "I don't need to—don't even have to leave the building, but at least they could give me some work. (...)
Book ?
Who is talking ?
To whom ?

Bonus #1 : In the (...) that follow the quote, the speaker suggested first some generic kinds of work, and then something very specific he could do. What was this specific suggestion ?
Was he given some work shortly after this exchange ? If yes, was it what he suggested specifically ?

Bonus #2 : In a later book of this series, the speaker assigned to himself a job very similar to the specific one he suggested (topic of Bonus #1). Which book? You have to give some minimal context, to prevent random proposals.

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"How much time? Dammit, if I don't get something to do soon, I'm going to be the first case of human spontaneous combustion recorded on vid." He jerked a rude finger at the ceiling. "I don't need to—don't even have to leave the building, but at least they could give me some work. (...)

Book ? The Vor Game
Who is talking ? Miles
To whom ? Gregor

Bonus #1 : In the (...) that follow the quote, the speaker suggested first some generic kinds of work, and then something very specific he could do. What was this specific suggestion ? "...Clerical, janitorial-I do terrific drains-anything..."
Was he given some work shortly after this exchange ? Yes.
If yes, was it what he suggested specifically ? Administrative assistant to the guard commander for the building.

Bonus #2 : In a later book of this series, the speaker assigned to himself a job very similar to the specific one he suggested (topic of Bonus #1). Which book? You have to give some minimal context, to prevent random proposals.
I'm going to pass on Bonus #2, I have a vague idea, but not enough to confidently answer at this time.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

You do get the next question and a total of 1 1/2 points

The answer I expected to the second part of Bonus 1 was "NO" since
clerical, janitorial
was what I meant by "generic" and by "specific" I meant
drains
so, NO, he did not get to do drains. However, I accept your answer since Administrative assistant to the guard commander for the building clearly does not involve drains.

The second bonus is yet for grabs.

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"Meanwhile," said XXX, "I think you, as the lady's new husband, would be as closely placed as humanly possible to find out more, eh?"
Puzzles. I hate puzzles. YYY liked flowcharts--nice and clear and you could always tell just where you were and what you should do next, everything laid out neatly.

Book?
Who is XXX?
Who is YYY?

little edit by EPS:
- added the missing "d" in "YYY like flowcharts"
- corrected typo "fine" to "find"
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:...
The second bonus is yet for grabs.
When delivering Miles's letter of apology to Ekaterin (A Civil Campaign), Pym tells the story of how Miles tackled Vorkosigan's House main drain blockage, due to the setting and hardening of flushed bug butter.
(I remember this very well, because that particular chapter is one of my All-Bujold favourites.)
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Correct !
I'll update your 1/2 :sherlock: in the same post in the :sherlock: thread, I won't create a new one.

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"Meanwhile," said XXX, "I think you, as the lady's new husband, would be as closely placed as humanly possible to find out more, eh?"
Puzzles. I hate puzzles. YYY liked flowcharts--nice and clear and you could always tell just where you were and what you should do next, everything laid out neatly. No ambiguities. No traps. Why couldn't life be ore like flowcharts?
XXX went on jovially, "After all, a man who can't persuade his own wife to trust him is a man in trouble in many ways."
So many ways. YYY could only nod.

Book?
Who is XXX?
Who is YYY?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, I suppose that EPS knows the answer, since he corrected the spelling.
But I also suppose his bout of laziness is still not finished.

So :
Book: Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
XXX : Morozov, of ImpSec
YYY : the newly wed Captain Ivan Xav Vorpatril ;)

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Correct!
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

New quote :
"The next time you're vomiting your guts out, XXX, let me suggest you just close your mouth and swallow hard... it's not exactly a voluntary reflex!"
Book ?
Who is speaking ?
Who is XXX ?

Bonus #1 :
Who else is present at that time ? Who is going to join them very soon ?

Bonus #2 :
The speaker makes this suggestion in reply to one by XXX. What did XXX suggest ? In what context ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

No answer yet? I 'll give you a hint, but that will kill the second bonus:
voralfred wrote:New quote :
"The next time you're vomiting your guts out, XXX, let me suggest you just close your mouth and swallow hard... it's not exactly a voluntary reflex!"
Book ?
Who is speaking ?
Who is XXX ?

Bonus#1 :

Bonus #2 :
The speaker makes this suggestion in reply to one by XXX. What did XXX suggest ? In what context ?

From now on, only one bonus

Bonus:

The second bonus is replaced by the following hint:
The original suggestion by XXX to the speaker was about delaying the arrival of the soon-to-arrive character mentioned in the bonus above. Alas, this suggestion was totally unpractical.
As a further hint : the speaker is female. This is in fact a very strong hint. The last sentence is in fact a third hint by itself.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Still no answer ? Moe hints ?
voralfred wrote:No answer yet? I 'll give you a hint, but that will kill the second bonus:
voralfred wrote:New quote :
Book ?
Who is speaking ?
Who is XXX ?

Bonus#1 :

Bonus #2 :

From now on, only one bonus

Bonus:

The second bonus is replaced by the following hint:
The original suggestion by XXX to the speaker was about delaying the arrival of the soon-to-arrive character mentioned in the bonus above. Alas, this suggestion was totally unpractical.
As a further hint : the speaker is female. This is in fact a very strong hint. The last sentence is in fact a third hint by itself.
OK: so the soon-to-arrive character is not just very close in time, arrival within the hour, he is already very close in space, especially to the speaker. Add to that the fact that the speaker is female....

Oh, come on !

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote:Oh, come on !
Ok, ok... you got me. I've known all along, but I was infected with EPS's laziness, I guess...

Book ? Barrayar
Who is speaking ? Alys Vorpatril
Who is XXX ? Koudelka

Bonus#1 :
I believe it's Cordelia, Bothari, and Drou. Ivan is about to be born. (The involuntary reflex Alys is referring to is the pushing stage of labor.)
Three cheers for literacy . . . I feel sick.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Yes !
The next quote and 1 and 1/2 :sherlock: for you !

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

Ok, next quote:
Dealing with Xxx, Yyy decided, was like fencing in a hall of mirrors. Your target, though real, was never quite where it looked as if it should be.
Book?
Who is Xxx?
Who is Yyy?
Three cheers for literacy . . . I feel sick.

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”