[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Internet Book Database of Fiction • View topic - GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Postby voralfred » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:08 am

Pronunciation: /ˈviːnjərɒ̃/
/viɲ(ə)ʀɔ̃/
noun
A person who cultivates grapes for winemaking.

Origin
French, from vigne 'vine'.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

François retired from politics after "the fiasco." He spent his final decades as a vigneron instead of a frondeur. While he consumed much of his own product, so did his political opponents as well as his allies. His heirs were rich. Their money resulted in significant political influence.
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but you are welcome to play, too.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:22 am

Francophone sequences from ODO like the current vigneron and frondeur are making me revisit my limited understanding of European history. Thanks to voralfred for his first hand remarks, widening and deepening my channels to European knowledge.

Frankly, the term francophone makes me think I'm talking about Spain and Francisco Franco and his personal telephone.

While I'm at it, being frank is always something of a challenge. My parents chose a different first name for me and I am used to it, so being Frank is confusing.

Phew, let there be few of these side comments. They punish the rest of you by being too pun-ish.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:20 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:32 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:03 am

Pronunciation: /kras/
adjective
Showing no intelligence or sensitivity: the crass assumptions that men make about women an act of crass stupidity

Origin
Late 15th century (in the sense 'dense or coarse'): from Latin crassus 'solid, thick'.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I will not be crass.
Nor speak ill of the lass.
Still I will admire
The fine curve of her...hip.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:31 am

Pronunciation: /ˈtʌɪpəʊ/
noun (plural typos)
informal
A typographical error.

Origin
Early 19th century: abbreviation.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mark routinely mixed up his words while speaking. He epitomized "a slip of the tongue." If the name hadn't been taken by that old playwright, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, Mark would have been called "Mr. Malaprop." Therefore, it might seem strange, Mark became a successful editor. The books over his desk never had a single typo.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:47 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:38 am

Pronunciation: /pɛkˈsnɪfɪən/
adjective
Affecting benevolence or high moral principles: he adopted a Pecksniffian tone

Origin
Mid 19th century: from Mr Pecksniff, the name of a character in Dickens's Martin Chuzzlewit, + -ian.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

All woodpeckers are peck sniffers when it comes to locating food. Some of us peckerwood humans adopt a Pecksniffian stance when it comes to sharing. Those with less should get an extra job to pay for their needs. "Come work for me."
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:38 am

Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 am

Pronunciation: /səˈfʌɪs/
verb
[no object]
1 Be enough or adequate: a quick look should suffice [with infinitive]: two examples should suffice to prove the contention
Synonyms
1.1 [with object] Meet the needs of: simple mediocrity cannot suffice them

Origin
Middle English: from Old French suffis-, stem of suffire, from Latin sufficere 'put under, meet the need of', from sub- 'under' + facere 'make'.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Let these suffice to keep me content, shelter, food and love.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:35 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:57 am

Pronunciation: /kwɪŋˈkwɛnɪəl/
adjective
1 Recurring every five years: they conducted quinquennial reviews
1.1 Lasting for or relating to a period of five years.

Origin
Late 15th century (in the sense 'lasting five years'): from Latin quinquennis (from quinque 'five' + annus 'year') + -al.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cinco de Mayo happens annually. A decade happens every ten years. Does the fifth have significance beyond the size of a liquor bottle? I honestly don't know any fancy sequence of events that are quinquennial. That does not mean we cannot have a word for it.

[]
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:42 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:16 am

[definition 3]

Pronunciation: /neɪ/
adjective
Originally called; born (used before the name by which a man was originally known): Al Kelly, né Kabish

Origin
1930s: French, literally 'born', masculine past participle of naître; compare with née.

Neigh, nay, . (I'm not really horsing around. cannot properly be compared to horse noise, nay, it cannot.)
Hear what I say.
Today, the word is short.
But long in purpose, I retort.

I was born but once,
But the town clerk might have been a dunce.
Middle name recorded as "Telma"
Certificate later changed more to the realm of
"Talmage." Accuracy matters.

[]
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:53 am

Pronunciation: /ˈzʌɪd(ə)l/
noun
dated
A beer mug or glass.

Origin
Early 20th century: from German Seidel, originally denoting a measure between a third and a half of a litre.

via Trondheim Municipal Archives

Sidney sidled up to the bar, a gap-toothed smile on his ugly mug. He negotiated with the bartender and with a side of beef. Five seidels of beer and a shot of whiskey each day for a week.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:13 am

Pronunciation: /ənˈfraktjʊəs/
adjective
rare
Sinuous or circuitous: the line of gold extends and becomes anfractuous

Origin
Late 16th century: from late Latin anfractuosus, from Latin anfractus 'a bending'.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anfractuous is the perfect word to describe my thought process. One thing leads to another, seemingly without logic. Have you seen the latest butterfly statistics? I like a good cup of coffee. Looks like it will be sunny today, at least.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:19 am

Pronunciation: /ˈsʌɪəlɪst/
noun
archaic
A person who pretends to be knowledgeable and well informed.

Origin
Early 17th century: from late Latin sciolus (diminutive of Latin scius 'knowing', from scire 'know') + -ist.

Your local sciolist reminds you to stand straight and look people in the eye (you choose which eye, of course) to help your audience to believe you actually do know what you are talking about. "Fake it 'till you make it."
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:39 am

Pronunciation: /kvɛl/
verb
[no object] North American informal
Feel happy and proud: forgive me if I’m kvelling, but this boy will make us proud

Origin
1960s: from Yiddish kveln, from Middle High German, literally 'well up'.

You sail and spot whale
Which eats krill with skill.
You kvell and feel well.
You're proud and shout loud.
"To shore!" There's no more.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:59 am

Pronunciation: /ˈpɛndjʊləs/
adjective
Hanging down loosely: pendulous branches

Origin
Early 17th century: from Latin pendulus 'hanging down' (from pendere 'hang') + -ous.

Pendulous earrings adorned Monique's delicate ears. Somehow that does not sound so elegant. Pendant earrings sounds nicer, I think.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:50 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:46 am

Line breaks: pla|cate
Pronunciation: /pləˈkeɪt/
/ˈplakeɪt/
/ˈpleɪkeɪt/
verb
[with object]
Make (someone) less angry or hostile: they attempted to placate the students with promises

Origin
Late 17th century: from Latin placat- 'appeased', from the verb placare.

=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

E.P.S. placated his impatient fans with another scintillating story of grandma. His fans remain ravening beasts, agitating for more. We will never be satisfied.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby voralfred » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:34 pm

Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

PreviousNext

Return to The Appendix