GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Algot Runeman wrote:pizzazz
If the American troops in Belgium by the end of WWI had had the word in their vernacular, they would have said that my grandma had a lot of pizzazz.
Grandma herself would have vehemently denied it, as she abhorred fast food. But while French speaking people also thought that she "avait du chien", she didn't realise that the hot dog, which she liked, would one day become fast food too.
Spoiler: show
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

toponymy

Say it, Sam: /təˈpänəmē/

noun
study of place names

Original at: pixabay.com

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Even with his trusty magnifier, Joe had no luck with his beloved toponymy as he examined this map. He was reduced to closing his eyes and reciting the names and capitols of every European country that had ever existed since the fall of the Roman Empire.
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but I encourage YOU to play, too.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:toponymy
Grandpa never needed any magnifying glass to be able to recognise his wife's toponymy. With his eyes closed, his ears covered and his nose blocked up, he could still pick out grandma from between any number of other women and correctly name her and her features, just by feel. :oops:

He was quite prepared to bet on it, but he was never challenged to demonstrate that feat, much to his regret, and to several of those other women's too.
Spoiler: show
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

flavescent

Say it, Sam: /fləˈvesənt/

adjective
yellowish or turning yellow.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

The grey dawn turned to blue sky and Harvey's blue feelings became increasingly flavescent.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

jollification

Say it, Sam: /ˌjäləfiˈkāSHən/

noun
lively celebration with others; merrymaking

Iwona Erskine-Kellie

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Before saying "Happy New Year" the crowd had fully enjoyed the evening's jollification.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

samizdat

Say it, Sam: /ˈsämizˌdät, səmyizˈdät/

noun
the clandestine copying and distribution of literature banned by the state, especially formerly in the communist countries of eastern Europe.

Image Image

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"Hey, Sam. Iz dat legal?"

Copyright is similar to the banning of literature by the state. It forces those who cannot get (not available at library/out of print and not for sale/,etc) to consider illegally accessing literature (samizdat - yeah, same as dat) which is out of copyright in another country.

Happy Public Domain Day to those who got some new access today. I'm saddened that we in the US did not and won't get new public domain access until 2019 because of government extension of copyright coverage.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

gah

Just one syllable, and no pronunciation guide given by ODO

exclamation
used to express dismay or exasperation

Steven Lee

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

"Bah," said Marco. His disgust exceeded the level of exasperation provided by "gah."
Since his side had won, Ed raised his fist and shouted "Rah!" He even did it with enough emotion to make adding an exclamation point appropriate. Since there is no longer a Shah of Iran, we can leave out mention of him. (Wha???)

There might have been a faint "Ha" out there, but not too loud because this irreverent example hasn't been that funny. My ma would have been nice about it though. Pa might have twisted his lips sideways, but would not have reacted more.

Ta, ta!
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

odoriferous

Say it, Sam: /ˌōdəˈrifərəs/

adjective
having or giving off a smell, particularly one that is objectionable.

Kyle Nabilcy
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Having a smell isn't much good unless you give it off. Locked up, sealed, sequestered, the odoriferous smell of a stinky cheese is pointless. There is neither the attraction it has for some nor the repellent effect on others.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

photobomb

Say it, Sam: /ˈfōtōˌbäm/

verb
spoil a photograph of (a person or thing ) by suddenly appearing in the camera’s field of view as the picture is taken, typically as a prank or practical joke

original before artificial photobomb Thore Siebrands

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Then there was the time I jumped into the frame just as Clint Eastwood was waving to the crowd. Perfect photobomb.

Update: This might be a cooler "smiling stingray" example of photobomb. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/10/a-few-words-about-the-stingray-photobomb.html
Last edited by Algot Runeman on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:photobomb
... just as Clint Eastwood was waving to the crowd. Perfect photobomb.
I think that Dirty Harry has lots of photobomb experience. A pity there never were any photographers around when he did one.

There are also countless flash bombed photo's by people who use a strobe to photograph the image on a TV or a computer monitor.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

rheme

Say it, Sam: /rēm/

noun
Linguistics
the part of a clause that gives information about the theme. Compare with focus and theme.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

I had a rheme was not the theme of MLK's speech.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

wentletrap

Say it, Sam: /ˈwentlˌtrap/

noun
a marine mollusk that has a tall spiral shell with many whorls that are ringed with oblique ridges.
Family Epitoniidae, class Gastropoda: numerous species

Origin:
mid 18th century: from Dutch wenteltrap, literally 'winding stair'

Steve Jurvetson

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

The genius genus took a taxi to the conference. Tom Taxa wore his tux to tell his talk.
He spoke eloquently on the Epitoniidae but his tongue tripped, as when climbing a spiral staircase, on the wentletrap at the center of his presentation, Epitonium barissum (Iredale, 1936). He didn't mention that he had stopped at the nearby tony bar for some Dutch courage.

[Just for the sake of accuracy, the image above isn't the carnivorous snail species Tom Taxa was describing. The image is Epitonium scalare.]
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:wentletrap
I wonder why the alpine instrument builders don't copy the wentletrap shape of the Epitoniidae to build their Alphorns. Wouldn't that make the instrument more mobile?
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

intone

Say it, Sam: /inˈtōn/

verb
say or recite with little rise and fall of the pitch of the voice

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

After ingesting interesting ingredients Ingmar intoned incessantly in the dining room. The rest of the guests at the table merely sipped their port as he droned on, and on, and on...

Music Notation - rest...Wikipedia
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

scalawag

Say it, Sam: /ˈskaləˌwag/

noun
a rascal; a person who behaves badly but in an amusingly mischievous rather than harmful way

tonynetone

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Some teachers see the class clown as a scalawag while others just see a pain-in-the-neck kid.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

farrago

Say it, Sam: /fəˈrägō, -ˈrā-/

noun (plural farragoes)
a confused mixture

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

His story was a farrago of memoir, muddy memories and outright lies. Even calling it fiction wouldn't improve it.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

layette

Say it, Sam: /lāˈet/

noun
a set of clothing, linens, and sometimes toiletries for a newborn child.

Origin:
mid 19th century: from French, diminutive of Old French laie 'drawer', from Middle Dutch laege

miracle design

_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_

Duane drew out the drawer and selected some drawers from the layette for Donnie. Having everything right at hand was great, and Duane appreciated that his darling Denise organized things so well for his time with his son, while she worked.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

hippocras

Say it, Sam: /ˈhipəˌkras/

noun
historical usage
wine flavored with spices.
(see more at ODO)

Irmeli Aro

_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-

Carol sang a suggestive song while the patrons of the bar sipped strongly spiced hippocras. Usually the bar crowd guzzled beer, but tonight, well, it was simply magical. Mulling it over, she decided she couldn't grok the Glögg. Still she sang, and the magic continued.
MidasKnight
Centrist

Post by MidasKnight »

I have often wondered about 'spiced wine.' Why would you do that? Is that what one does when their wine is not very good? I can't imagine wanting to do ANYTHING to a good wine. It is simply superb already.
In the 60’s, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

déclassé

Say it, Sam: /ˌdākläˈsā/

adjective
having fallen in social status: his parents were poor and déclassé
More at ODO

Wolf G.

_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-_-^-

Let's face it, some of us cannot properly be called déclassé because we never had any social status from which to fall. Started at the bottom, stayed there.

PS: MidasKnight, that ain't pure wine, or even spiced wine in that there jug, neither.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:hippocras... Mulling it over, she decided she couldn't grok the Glögg. ...
If in a ski lodge in the Austrian Alps you were to ask for a hippocras, chances are they'll misunderstand and throw you out. Remember to order a Glühwein, which is hot red wine well mulled with spices and honey.
It goes down nicely after running the slopes. :P
Algot Runeman wrote:déclassé
Of course, if they were to use a Grand Cru Classé for the Glühwein, the wine would certainly become déclassé <shudder>. :crazy:
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

E.P.S. wrote:it goes down nicely after running the slopes
The last time "running the slopes" for me was very long ago. In fact, it was on the same run that the slop on the slope sent me into a significant slip, wrenching my knee, gouging both it and the slope (which was already totally melted down to the grass at that spot).

No ski patrol was necessary. I limped down to the base, thankfully close. Appendicitis struck the middle of the following week as I lay nursing my swollen joint (no not marijuana). The season ended before I was mended, and before the next season, my in-laws sold the chalet. The prospect of staying in a rowdy motel didn't hold attraction after having the convenience of a chalet across from the mountain slopes.

Now that you've heard my spiceless whine, you probably feel driven to knock back something stronger than hippocras, unless that is, once more, too déclassé.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:... the slop on the slope sent me into a significant slip, wrenching my knee, gouging both it and the slope ...
It's imperative that one makes it a disciplined point of drinking Hippocras, Glögg, Glühwein, Grogg, Vin Chaud, Jagatee and such beverages AFTER running the slopes, during the après-ski!
Algot Runeman
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by Algot Runeman »

vivify

verb
enliven; animate

:clap: :banana: :crazy: :smash: :worship: :roll:
[Yeah, this was certainly the cheap/easy way to illustrate, today's word.]

_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_

The snow-capped mountains of Colorado thrilled Bob as he rode the train further and further west. The dome car was popular, but he had grabbed a seat in the very early morning hours (2 a.m. to be exact) and now the rising sun behind the train was shining brightly on the peaks ahead. Bob was torn between continuing to stare at the vista or going down to the dining car for some breakfast. Hunger and a very loud stomach growl vivified him. He knew the mountains weren't close anyway. Off to a stack of pancakes and some sausages.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Algot Runeman wrote:vivify
You know, Algot, I'm extremely glad you continue to be the vivification of our WotD.
(Google wanted to know if maybe I meant to check for vilification? :slap: )

Please note my correct spelling of the second character "v" in the appropriate place.

You have my adulating gratitude. Please let that urge you on and vivify you to keep doing this usually thankless task.

THANK YOU!

To finish with an anecdotal remark:
My grandma and grandpa never failed to vivify each other.
And that's putting it mildly! The Amerind shaman's potion for grandpa really was miraculously effective as long as grandma avoided any words higher than three and lower than five. :wink: (see here for the explanation)

Return to “The Appendix”