[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Internet Book Database of Fiction • View topic - GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

A home for our "Off-Topic" Chats. Like to play games? Tell jokes? Shoot the breeze about nothing at all ? Here is the place where you can hang out with the IBDoF Peanut Gallery and have some fun.

Moderators: Kvetch, laurie

Re: GAME: Word of the Day (WOTD)

Postby rpschmitz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

In case of stairs, use fire. :?
rpschmitz
Scribe

Postby rpschmitz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:40 pm

In case of stairs, use fire. :?
rpschmitz
Scribe

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:22 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Postby voralfred » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:50 am

Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby Algot Runeman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 am

a woman who uses magic to put someone or something under a spell.

a woman who is captivatingly attractive.

Photo Credit: John Charles Dollman (artist) from Wikimedia Commons / License: public domain
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... ntress.jpg

---------------------------------------

Now, I understand the idea, but no amount of magic can keep me from remembering Snow White or The Wizard of Oz whose enchantresses were more in the line of...
Clipart from Openclipart.org user inky2010 http://www.openclipart.org/detail/84391

Maybe they were just carrying their laundry in a backpack under the the cloak.
Words are a game. Sometimes I play alone, but you are welcome to play, too.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:27 am

Now there's a picture to imagine my grandma! I mean the first picture, the one at the top, the goddess with the spotted kittens, the mesmerising enchantress!

THIS ONE!
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 am

Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby voralfred » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:10 am

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 am

a water pipe, especially one in a street, with a nozzle to which a fire hose can be attached.

Image Credit: user - gramzon - http://www.openclipart.org/detail/69751

----------------------------------------------

There's a slight discrepancy with the hydrant clipart above. Extra credit if you spot it.

There's a conventional use of for hydrants. But it isn't universal.
What color are they hydrants in your community?
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:03 am

One of the things we face in my town is snow. When the plows have cleared the streets, it is common courtesy for someone along the street to shovel around the hydrants so that the fire department can easily get to it. If nobody does it, the fire department eventually comes by and removes snow. E.P.S., how do you even know where the hydrant is if it snows?
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby CodeBlower » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:36 pm

.. but, then, what do the dogs pee on, if there are no hydrants?
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Postby voralfred » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:44 pm

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49 pm

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:07 am

The day, as they say, has passed away.
We came to dread it, no extra credit.
No one did see the small discrepancy. (maybe, too, they won't notice the lack of proper poetic beat.)

To be fair, only US citizens would have been likely to have noticed that the wrench "nut" on the cap for a hose connection was hexagonal. To make unauthorized removal difficult, US hydrants typically have a pentagonal (5-sided) shape. Fire companies have the special wrenches needed.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:17 am

an ornamental frill or ruffle on the front of a shirt or blouse, typically made of lace

Photo Credit: User: Ese123 at Wikimedia Commons - License: Creative Commons by-sa http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/deed.en

-----------------------------------------

Annalise skipped along in her sabots and the lovely jabot danced jauntily on her blouse.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby voralfred » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:02 am

Do I guess two lovely galactants* under this jabot?

LMB, The Labyrinth
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:40 pm

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:10 pm

It would be my (531 posts) inclination to allow you (4149 posts) most things. "Seniority" counts for something!
I think galactants, whether they are Greek or not, deserves a place in the world's lexicon.
I'll report to the authorities, if and when asked under oath, that you were the source, voralfred.

E.P.S., it is great to have a proper illustration for the jabot. I'd never seen the term before it popped up as an Oxford Dictionaries Online WotD, and followed the definition they gave to locate a possible image. Yours, (handmade by you, wow) is fabulous.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:43 pm

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Postby Algot Runeman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:15 pm

E.P.S. I'm trying to stick with images I can "repurpose."

I really liked this one: http://www.jhiggins.net/sf_proddetail.a ... DBHBBF2HMP

While it might have been enough to include the link, I felt it would be difficult to go through all the steps to get copyright clearance from the vendor.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby Algot Runeman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:13 am

the study of a community or culture by analyzing its waste

Picture Credit: User: iparachute on Flicker - License: Creative Commons by-nc-sa http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... .0/deed.en

---------------------------------

The photo actually doesn't represent modern day garbologists at work. These workers appear to be gleaning valuable materials from the trash stream of a dump in Cambodia. But all that broken pottery which archeologists study is probably from ancient middens, the dumps of our ancestors. Modern "investigative journalism" is purported to use the trash of celebrities to report on their activities.
Algot Runeman
Trailblazer

Postby E Pericoloso Sporgersi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:13 am

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

PreviousNext

Return to The Appendix