Pet Peeves

This is the place for OT discussions of your favorite movies, TV shows, music, cultural trends and fads, or other non-literature-related topics.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

One branch is from the Pont (Trabzond area in what is now the eastern part of the Black Sea coast of Turkey, near the border with Georgia), the other branch is from one of the Heptanese islands (Paxi, a bit south of Corfu). Too far from the Balkans to be celtic, I'd say.
However, I did find pretty far south in Spain indication of Celtic influence, when I visited that area. So certainly Celts went far south from areas that are now considered as "celtic" now, Wales, Brittany, etc.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
gpackin
Methuselah's Child

Post by gpackin »

Moonspring wrote:Related to this is when I was told that I'm too smart. Or I know too many things. It intimidates men. I need to dumb myself down. What a minute, you're telling me this and you call yourself my friend? You ovbiously really don't know me that well. No woman should have to dumb herself down.
Yeah, it intimidates men who are idiots. I just don't understand other men that would prefer to be with a stupid woman over an intelligent woman. Remember if a woman acts dumb she will only end up with a dumb man. I hope that my daughter never feels pressured to hide her intelligence to please an insecure man.
violetblue
Viking Skald

Post by violetblue »

I have two peeves for summer attire. The first one is for men and women and it can be summed up in one word: feet. If you are going to wear sandals and expose your feet, please keep them groomed. It doesn't require a professional pedicure, but it does require that nails are clipped, rough, flaking skin is removed (I hate those calloused, yellowed heels people have), and any nail fungus (which causes thickened nails) is treated by a medical doctor. If you cannot keep your feet looking neat and cared for, do us all a favor and cover them up.

The second pet peeve is directed at women. Ladies, please do not wear tight tank tops/shirts that do not meet the top of your pants, exposing us all to unsightly rolls of fat. It's an unattractive fashion trend, making even normal-weight women look overweight. Thank the gods, however, the waistline of jeans does seem to be rising a bit.
N is for NEVILLE, who died of ennui
--Edward Gorley
ausfi
Literature Addict

Post by ausfi »

I find it very frustrating when sometimes in a discussion there is someone, who does not let you get a word edgeways. I am watching like a hawk for some kind of lull, opening my mouth to talk when there is a slight pause and it seems there is a logical end to what the person wants to convey, and they just continue, even if I am already talking.

Could it be my fault, maybe I just do not talk loud enough :roll:

Violetblue, it is exactly what I think, do they really not know that they show those rolls of fat or loose skin :?:
Prograstination is the grave of opportunity.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

violetblue wrote:The second pet peeve is directed at women. Ladies, please do not wear tight tank tops/shirts that do not meet the top of your pants, exposing us all to unsightly rolls of fat. It's an unattractive fashion trend, making even normal-weight women look overweight. Thank the gods, however, the waistline of jeans does seem to be rising a bit.
Well, I generally agree with you, but if the woman is really thin, then sometimes what you see when there are no rolls of fat is not so unattractive....
But then I am an old lecherous voyeur
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
violetblue
Viking Skald

Post by violetblue »

voralfred wrote:But then I am an old lecherous voyeur
Agreed. :lol:

Well, I live in a college town, so I see a lot of dubious fashion. It's annoying how women will follow any fashion trend, regardless of whether it is flattering to them or not. My gripe with this particular fashion trend -- wearing clothes two sizes too small -- is that it squeezes around any natural fat and makes any woman above a size 00 look big. The women I see wearing these type of clothes seem totally oblivious, but I can't imagine any man finding a roll of fat hanging out underneath a tiny shirt attractive. But then, young women tend to think tight clothes + showing skin = sexy.

Men, on the other hand, wear clothes way too baggy. After about 12 years, the saggy pants seem to be going out of style, but it seems to still be in fashion for guys to wear clothes that hang on them. And the Emo boys wear peg pants, which is kind of the opposite of baggy pants.

I did see a pair of extreme baggy pants a couple of months ago. I was standing in line at a department store behind these two young guys, and I swear, the one guy's pants were down below his underwear. Not the boxer type either, but regular, tight-fitting, underwear. I mean, you could see his legs underneath his underpants. I started getting a fit of giggles, and it was all I could do to keep it together until the guy left. Then the saleslady and I burst out laughing. Anyway, that's the worst case I've seen.
N is for NEVILLE, who died of ennui
--Edward Gorley
the grim squeaker
Methuselah's Child

Post by the grim squeaker »

I only get angry when I can't get the lid off the valium.
'You can take our lives but you'll never take our freedom!' he screamed.
Carcer's men looked at one another, puzzled by what sounded like most badly thought-out war cry in the history of the universe.
pamleidt
Bookworm

Post by pamleidt »

I absolutely agree with the misuse of apostrophes. You should read Eats, shoots and leaves which was hilarious. Add to that "slow children" signs (which always crack me up).

Otherwise:

People who talk with full mouths, smack their food, or chew with mouth open
Leaving cupboard doors open
Sound systems in cars that jar the fillings out of my teeth from 6 blocks away

There are others, but I don't want to sound TOO much like a whiner!!! :D
If I only knew then what I know now... I would probably still be here, but I would have taken a different path.
mccormack44
Grande Dame

Post by mccormack44 »

pamleidt wrote:
…"slow children" signs (which always crack me up).
Do you know the Ogden Nash verse?
"Slow Children Walk / Cheerful children ride"
(I THINK I've got the quote correctly.) I always think of this whenever I see a split sign of this type.

Sue
pamleidt
Bookworm

Post by pamleidt »

I think I remember the verse from long ago...

I always think that the first time I saw this non sequitur, we were travelling up the road on which my husband lived as he grew up! I like to tease him about it... :butter:
If I only knew then what I know now... I would probably still be here, but I would have taken a different path.
Moonspring
Scribe Adept

Post by Moonspring »

Gross over-generalizations are a pet peeve that can sometime make me see red.
violetblue wrote: It's annoying how women will follow any fashion trend, regardless of whether it is flattering to them or not.
Most of the women I know create their own fashion. Everything from items purchased at thrift shops to online stores. Normally, I see nearly as many styles as people.

But the pet peeve I was initially going to post is TOM. And not Myspace Tom, but instead, TOM with all caps. It is the reason I slept half of Saturday and am still up now. Right after I finally got back onto a mostly regular sleep cycle. Now it is all messed up again.

And DVD players that were find two days ago but suddenly stop reading discs. Spending 15$ on a lens cleaning disc that was supposed to fix the problem but didn't. Grrrrr.
A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having.
spiphany
IBList Administrator

Post by spiphany »

Businesses that plant plum or crabapple trees on their property because they have pretty blossoms in the spring, but in the fall, when the fruit starts getting ripe and falling off and making a huge, rotting mess all over the sidewalk, they do absolutely nothing about it.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

We have a neighbor on the way to the sitter's who has an apple tree.... lovely tree, full of juicy red apples, and they're rotting all over the sidewalk. Personally, I'd be snatching up as much as I could to prevent a wasp infestation (the plan, when I finally have my apple trees, is to figure out how to make cider LOL That's pretty much all "droppings" are good for).
And what manner of jackassery must we put up with today? ~ Danae, Non Sequitur
moonwolf021
Trailblazer
Location: Where the Wolves Roam My Heart Will Go (Portland,Oregon)

Post by moonwolf021 »

I have to admit I have a lot of pet peeves but I can never think of all of them.

1. When people place their already chewed gum on the edge of their plates, napkins, etc. I find it absolutely revolting. If they are sitting next to me, I'll force them to either get rid of it or get it out of my sight.
2. When people are unorganized about their DVDs. Like when half of the DVDs are in a pile and who knows where their cases are. Seriously I have fixed two households worth of DVDs that were like this. I spent over an hour finding the corresponding cases to the discs and either stacked or shelved them properly. My own DVDs are even more OCD as they are in alphabetical order.
3. I am guilty of doing this one on the internet sometimes, but when people don't capitalize names (especially their own) when writing. All my brothers do this. My little brother does it on his video games and that annoys me too.
"Life's not about standing out, it's about blending in from the cops" - MoonWolf

my blog: thegreenstump.blogspot.com
umsolopagas
Scholar Adept

Post by umsolopagas »

The few I can think of:

Impulsive liars make me twitch.

People who overuse cliches (a good way of identifying the above mentioned clique). You know when you are listening to someone and the thought comes to your head "Ooh, I have watched that movie, and that one, that too..".

I get a little shiver down my spine when I see someone spitting on the ground especially athletes, sportsmen.
umsolopagas
Scholar Adept

Post by umsolopagas »

My biggest pet peeves and phobias are roaches and rats (not the ones that wield scythes and mice ). I reckon that anything with its belly that close to the ground is not up to any good.

Those two creatures form the base of all my fears.
the grim squeaker
Methuselah's Child

umsolopagas wrote:My biggest pet peeves and phobias are roaches and rats (not the ones that wield scythes and mice ). I reckon that anything with its belly that close to the ground is not up to any good.

Those two creatures form the base of all my fears.
Hey! :(
Rats are nice.
Carcer's men looked at one another, puzzled by what sounded like most badly thought-out war cry in the history of the universe.
tollbaby
anything but this ...

Post by tollbaby »

Domestic rats are nice. Street and sewer rats? Not so much. Evil little buggers.
And what manner of jackassery must we put up with today? ~ Danae, Non Sequitur
the grim squeaker
Methuselah's Child

Good point.
umsolopagas
Scholar Adept

Post by umsolopagas »

tollbaby wrote:Domestic rats are nice
No!
KiltanneN
Legionnaire

Post by KiltanneN »

umsolopagas wrote:I reckon that anything with its belly that close to the ground is not up to any good.
So does that mean you would include Snakes in your pet peeves?
The wonderful thing about not planning
Is that failure comes as a complete surprise
And is not preceded by a period of worry or depression
Mary Russell
Devoted Scholar

Post by Mary Russell »

moonwolf021 wrote: 3. I am guilty of doing this one on the internet sometimes, but when people don't capitalize names (especially their own) when writing. All my brothers do this. My little brother does it on his video games and that annoys me too.
Oooh! This one gets to me! Actually, one of my pet peeves would just have to be an utter disregard for grammar. What's with the lack of punctuation and capitalisation? (not to mention subject-verb disagreements and subject-object mixups)
Of course, I am by no means perfect when it comes to grammar, but I at least try!

Oh, and what's with everyone talking about "am doing this" and "am fine." Use a subject! "I am doing this" or even "I'm doing this" ...
Mary Russell
Devoted Scholar

Post by Mary Russell »

Oh, pardon me. I didn't mean to say everyone. That was a hyperbole.

(just in case there are some people out there whose pet peeve is exaggeration... ;) )
Mary Russell
Devoted Scholar

Post by Mary Russell »

violetblue wrote:The second pet peeve is directed at women. Ladies, please do not wear tight tank tops/shirts that do not meet the top of your pants, exposing us all to unsightly rolls of fat. It's an unattractive fashion trend, making even normal-weight women look overweight. Thank the gods, however, the waistline of jeans does seem to be rising a bit.
I can't say I'm too pleased about the rising waistline because I tend to like the twenties look with the dropped waist, but I guess I'll have to deal with it. :)

As for the males... Aiyai yai! Pull up those trousers!!!
Mary Russell
Devoted Scholar

Post by Mary Russell »

pamleidt wrote:I absolutely agree with the misuse of apostrophes. You should read Eats, shoots and leaves which was hilarious. Add to that "slow children" signs (which always crack me up).
Hehe. I keep seeing things I want to comment on after I've posted. Anyway, I just wanted to say that this was fantabulous book! It pretty much says everything I would like to say regarding grammar and whatnot. I love it!!!

Return to “The Margins”