[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4510: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4512: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4513: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4514: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
The Internet Book Database of Fiction • View topic - Questions for Lois McMaster Bujold

Questions for Lois McMaster Bujold

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website:

Moderator: Ghost

Questions for Lois McMaster Bujold

Postby clong » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:09 pm

This is the thread for posting questions for author Lois McMaster Bujold.
clong
Blade Runner

Postby clong » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:04 pm

I guess I will start things off. I have spent a bit of time looking around at http://www.dendarii.com looking for discussion about these issues, but haven't found anything. My apologies if I've overlooked it!

1. Can you tell us a bit about The Sharing Knife beyond that it is "a romance-fantasy-adventure that [keeps] the relationship stuff central"?

2. In the past several years you seem to be focusing more and more on fantasy rather than science fiction/the Vorkosigan saga. Is this a temporary trend or a long term change of focus or just something that I am imagining?
clong
Blade Runner

Postby LMB » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:21 pm

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:46 am

Ms. Bujold is there any recommended order for reading the books in the Vorkosigan saga?

So far I've read The Warrior's Apprentice and Borders of Infinity .
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Postby LMB » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:12 am

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Postby clong » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 pm

Hello again, Lois. The Curse of Chalion is one of my favorite fantasy novels of the past few years. I am curious, when you started writing CoC, did you start with the character Cazaril, or did you start with a world-building concept (political, social, gods, magic, etc.), or did you start with the idea of the 3 deaths prophecy?

Like Miles, Cazaril seems to be a far cry from the stereotypical hero. Do you set out to create protagonists who depart from the norm, or do they just end up that way?
clong
Blade Runner

Postby LMB » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:33 pm

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Postby Reede Kullervo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Hello Lois, will you continue writing about Chalion-Ibra, please :).
Audaces fortuna iuvat.
Reede Kullervo
Scribe Adept

Postby LMB » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 pm

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Countries to look at

Postby AlbuquerquePat » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:41 am

Living in a fantasy world --- you say that like it's a bad thing.
AlbuquerquePat
Bookworm

Postby Vesna » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:19 pm

I have a question, LMB, if you don't mind: I've always been wandering whether the 'old' textual fragment that you used as a part of the plot in Borders of Infinity belongs to a book by another author. I've had the feeling that it does, but I've never seen it in any books I've read... and I'm curious.;)
Vesna
Bookworm

It's a classic

Postby AlbuquerquePat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:30 pm

It's from John Bunyan's PILGRIM'S PROGRESS, c. 16??
Living in a fantasy world --- you say that like it's a bad thing.
AlbuquerquePat
Bookworm

Re: It's a classic

Postby LMB » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:24 am

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Postby Reede Kullervo » Wed May 03, 2006 5:37 pm

I'm confused about name of Mark Pierre Vorkosigan.
Miles' name should be Piotr Miles Vorkosigan, first from paternal grandfather, second from maternal grandfather.
So, Mark's name means that second name general Piotr Vorkosigan is Mark and second name Cordelia's father is Pierre.
In Brothers in Arms, Miles mentioned that name of second son is from second's names his maternal and fraternal grandfathers :?.
But, I had impression that name Pierre is related to Pierre le Sanguinaire :?:.

I apologise both for my English and my pedanterie :oops:.
Audaces fortuna iuvat.
Reede Kullervo
Scribe Adept

Postby LMB » Fri May 05, 2006 12:45 am

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Chicken/Egg question (SPOILERS for Ethan of Athos)

Postby bookwyrm » Sat May 06, 2006 7:46 pm

Ever since I read Ethan of Athos (which I re-read several
times a year), I've been curious about which came first:
the planet Athos, or Terrance's conspiracy/dilemma.

On the one hand, Terrance's solution only works on
Athos, so how could you have thought of it without
Athos already existing in your mind... On the other
hand, maybe you thought of Terrance's situation
first, and then came up with a planet that would suit
his purposes.

I'm trying not to give anything away here for those
who haven't read the book yet...
bookwyrm
Bookworm

Re: Chicken/Egg question (SPOILERS for Ethan of Athos)

Postby LMB » Sun May 07, 2006 5:15 pm

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Postby clong » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:47 am

I just read Ethan of Athos for the first time and enjoyed it very much ('s my brief review if anyone's interested).

I'm very curious as to how things might look on Athos several generations after the time of Ethan. Have you ever thought about revisiting the subject?
clong
Blade Runner

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:11 am

I just read Ethan of Athos and Cetaganda for the first time this weekend, both were very good - I was a little disappointed waiting for Miles to pop in the Ethan of Athos novel when he never did.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Postby LMB » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:42 am

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Postby Reede Kullervo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:46 pm

Audaces fortuna iuvat.
Reede Kullervo
Scribe Adept

Postby LMB » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:04 pm

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Postby Reede Kullervo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:11 am

I'm looking forward about The Sharing Knife :clap:.
Audaces fortuna iuvat.
Reede Kullervo
Scribe Adept

Postby clong » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:17 pm

clong
Blade Runner

Postby LMB » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:13 am

LMB
Professional Wordsmith

Next

Return to Lois McMaster Bujold