PicoCon 23 - Imperial College, London - 18th Febuary 2006

This is the place to post general news about authors, guest appearances, new releases, and the like. Posts are auto-linked to appear as announcements on the IBDoF Homepage. Thread creation limited to data editors and forum staff.
Kvetch
Sweeper

PicoCon 23 - Imperial College, London - 18th Febuary 2006

Post by Kvetch »

Picocon is the annual one-day convention run by the Science Fiction, Fantasy and Gothic Horror Society of the Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, of the University of London. It will be held on Saturday the 18th of Febuary, 2006.

Natasha Mostert (Site) and Ian Watson (Site) will be speaking.

There is also the Destruction of Dodgy Merchandise auction (two items I know of are Jar Jar Binks and a Dark Lord of the Sith toothbrush/tumbler set), the Definately-Not-A-Fish-Duel (if Cambridge and Oxford send champions, at least) and some traders (not many). There will probably be gaming of both the LAN and paper-based types.

According to my most up to date information, the venue will be in the depths of Imperial College (Next to the Science Museum - nearest Tube South Kesington). If anyone actually chooses to go, pm me and I'll provide details.

As yet, I don't know anything else (such as enterance fee), and even what I wrote above is based on hearsay. Except the date. That is finalised. I think.
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
Kvetch
Sweeper

Post by Kvetch »

Picocon was great. I've been awake for 18 hours straight now, so I might not be too coherent, but I thought I'd share with you how good it was.

I was the babysitter for Natasha Mostert, who is really great (she was so impressed by my having read two of her books she gave me the third!) - her talk on Science and Mystiscism was really interesteng - it was an interesting change to see something of how an author works when that author ISN'T Heather Gladney... :lol: . While I'm here, I'll recommend her books (coming soon to a database near you) - they are very good, although romances are not my favoured genre. Windwalker has been released in the US. The Other Side of Silence hasn't (apparently you Merkins have problems with books set in a foreign culture).

The second GoH was Ian Watson, who was quite frankly bat-sh*t crazy (in a good way. I do hope he doesn't read this and take it the wrong way...). His talk was interestign. Apparently he has written a vegetarian horror story.

The third speaker was Mark Roberts, but unfortunately I missed most of his talk, so not huge amounts I can say there.

For some reason I got put onto the silly panel games. For Just A Minute my team-mate and I were quite amazingly poor (although, with subjects like 'the reproduction of tribbles' and 'ritual healing in antiquity and the middle ages', there was a limit to what we could do - although when steve got hit for repetition 3 seconds in 'If I ruled the world' was simply embarrasing). For Charades, I simply ask how exactly I was supposed to manage to perform 'Soylent Green'? Mornington Crescent was fun though.

And as a babysitter I got to go to the after con meal with the comittee and the authors, which was really interesting - and I got a free meal.
"I'm the family radical. The rest are terribly stuffy. Aside from Aunt - she's just odd."
Aunflin
Legionnaire

Post by Aunflin »

Just remember: "Soylent Green is people." ;) All you had to do was stand there--you're a person, right? Though you could possibly be an advanced AI posing as a young English University student, messing with everyone's minds...
"A writer's chosen task is to write well and professionally. If you can't keep doing it, then you're no longer a professional, but a gifted amateur." L. E. Modessit, jr.

Return to “Announcements on Books, Authors & Conventions”