A Couple of Recurring Thoughts on Language

This is the place for OT discussions of your favorite movies, TV shows, music, cultural trends and fads, or other non-literature-related topics.
JTass
Scribe

A Couple of Recurring Thoughts on Language

Post by JTass »

Every once in a while (typically at ~3AM when I can't sleep), I'll remember one or both of these questions that occurred to me years ago. I'm hoping that someone knows one or both of the answers.
- Is tone deafness considered a speech impediment for speakers of tonal languages such as Mandarin Chinese?
- Are there any languages that distinguish between how an in-law is related to you (e.g., the spouse of your sibling versus the sibling of your spouse)?

EDIT: Just to clarify - In English, both the brother of your spouse and your sibling's husband are referred to as your brother-in-law. Are there any languages that have distinct terms for the two relationships?
Last edited by JTass on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Re: A Couple of Recurring Thoughts on Language

Post by voralfred »

Alas, I cannot answer any of your questions.

But I can add further puzzlement...

At least in english, you have two separate words for two totally different notions. If "parent" stands for father or mother
- "parent"-in-law = parent of one's spouse
- step"parent" = other spouse of one of one's biological parent (widowed, divorced, polygamous, of if one is born out of wedlock)

In french, there is a single expression for each gender :"beau-père" or "belle-mère" in both of these situations.

In fairy tales, the evil "belle-mère" (usually a witch) is normally the stepmother, but I've heard some real-life stories of "belles-mères"(=mother-in-laws) which make Snow-White's stepmother look rather mild in comparison.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

voralfred wrote: - "parent"-in-law = parent of one's spouse
- step"parent" = other spouse of one of one's biological parent (widowed, divorced, polygamous, of if one is born out of wedlock)
I have a minor correction to your statement: In English, the term step-parent specifically refers to the spouse of a biological parent who marries someone other than the other biological parent or remarries subsequent to divorce or widowhood. The new spouse is not a blood relative of the child, so is differentiated from a biological parent. From my understanding, children of members of a Poly group (polygamous or polyandrous) generally refer to all members of the group as a parent, although I'm sure the legal system only considers the biological parents to have any parental rights.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

UPDATE

I also posted this question on Goodreads.com and received a response there. Apparently both Turkish and Bulgarian have multiple words for the various in-law type relationships rather than lumping them together under one term.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

I have a borderline comparable question about a ubiquitous situation.

I have two children with my ex-wife, therefore my ex-wife's mother will always be my childrens' grandmother.

But, after my divorce, is my ex-wife's mother still my mother-in-law?

(maybe this is predicted by the genetic theory of relativity? :lol: )
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:I have a borderline comparable question about a ubiquitous situation.

I have two children with my ex-wife, therefore my ex-wife's mother will always be my childrens' grandmother.

But, after my divorce, is my ex-wife's mother still my mother-in-law?

(maybe this is predicted by the genetic theory of relativity? :lol: )

Well, why should she be more than your "ex-mother-in-law" ? The presence of the two children means your ex-wife will always be your children's mother, but then, she is just your "ex-wife", just as if there had been no children from your marriage.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]

Return to “The Margins”