Imager portfolio over?

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

oponn
Bookworm

Imager portfolio over?

Post by oponn »

Just read on Amazon in the description that this will be the final book. Any confirmation on this? I sincerely hope this isn't the case but all good things come to an end at some point.
Any information would be appreciated thanks.!
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Re: Imager portfolio over?

Post by lmodesitt »

Endgames is indeed the final book in The Imager Portfolio. It completes the story cycle I had in mind from the beginning. I've very much enjoyed writing it, but it was never intended to be an "open-ended world history" the way the Saga of Recluce is.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

Oh, rats!
One of my earliest questions on this forum was asking if there was a possibility of a continuation of Rhenn's story arc (Link here: http://ibdof.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1 ... 1#p1895171).
You had indicated that you had considered it, among a few other possibilities. Should I assume that the Rhenn sequel is no longer a consideration?
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

That's a fair assumption. After a great deal of consideration, I decided that any plausible continuation of Rhenn's story would be an anticlimax and that I didn't want to write an exciting and implausible continuation.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
oponn
Bookworm

Post by oponn »

Thanks for the reply, are the spellsong and corean chronicles done aswell?
Mythbhavd
Scribe Adept

Post by Mythbhavd »

I can genuinely say that I'll miss the Imager Portfolio. It has been an excellent journey and I can't wait to see where you take us next. I suppose that'll be to Heaven. :)
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

The Spellsong Cycle is done as well. It's possible that I could write another book in the Corean Chronicles, if I get the right time/idea/??? ... but the probability isn't high at the moment.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

What about the sci-fi end of the spectrum? Any chance of revisiting Acord or any of the other Terra/Fuard/Matriarchy interactions?
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I honestly haven't thought about what I might be writing after the current book that I'm working on.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Sha^ul Gar
Bookworm

Post by Sha^ul Gar »

lmodesitt wrote:I honestly haven't thought about what I might be writing after the current book that I'm working on.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
Ooh, I'd like one written by you with words please, lots of words assembled together in book format.
I hope that's not being too pushy.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

Just got my copy of Endgames. I'm looking forward to starting it (as soon as I'm done with my current book).
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Just finished Enggames..

The completionist in me is happy to have been here for the whole, wild, enjoyable ride.

The voracious reader in me is despondent.
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

CodeBlower wrote: The completionist in me is happy to have been here for the whole, wild, enjoyable ride.

The voracious reader in me is despondent.
You and me both, brother. My inner voracious reader took two major hits this year: the Imager Portfolio and the Honor Harrington series both published their final books (well, OK, if I'm going to be precise, David Weber said that he will continue to write other stories in that universe, but the main story arc with Honor as the main character is done).
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

JTass wrote:My inner voracious reader took two major hits this year: the Imager Portfolio and the Honor Harrington series both published their final books (well, OK, if I'm going to be precise, David Weber said that he will continue to write other stories in that universe, but the main story arc with Honor as the main character is done).
Hey Mr. M.,

Have you read any of the Honor Harrington books? David Weber really shines at writing space battles, and based on how you write similar scenes in your science fiction works, I think you'd enjoy them.
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

I've met David on a number of occasions, and I've read a few of his books. He writes well, but, strangely, I'm not as fond of his work as I am of other authors... I suspect more of a personal taste matter.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Post by JTass »

Mr. Weber is a military history buff, and has clearly studied a great deal of military tactics and strategy. His interest and attention to detail shine through in his writing style.
His battle scenes are very detailed and descriptive, to the point that I tend to skim the battle scenes when I re-read his works (I find that I don't really care how many missiles were in a salvo or how many were led astray by decoys, how many were taken out by counter-fire, and how many detonated without damaging the target).
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

I finished Endgames today.

I really enjoyed the series, almost as much as Recluce, especially the Rhenn, Quaryt, and Alastar books (for different reasons).

Thank you, Mr. Modesitt, for another entertaining series. I eagerly look forward to the release of The Mage-Fire War, one day after my birthday. :clap:

Kevin

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”