Lydar Geography (Imager Portfolio)

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

mikor60
Apprentice Scribe

Lydar Geography (Imager Portfolio)

Post by mikor60 »

Mr. Modesitt, I have a question regarding the location of Saendeol, the old capital of Jovana (the southern part of what eventually became Khel).
It's on the banks of Vohan River which flows into the Neimara.

Saendeol isn't not shown on the map in Scholar, but there is a city, Jovahl, that seems in the right vicinity, next to an unlabeled river.
Are these two cities close to each other? And is the Neimara the unlabeled river?
--Mikor60
L. E. Modesitt Wiki: lemodesittjr.wikia.com
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Re: Lydar Geography (Imager Portfolio)

Post by lmodesitt »

Sandeol is south and east of Jovahl, and is located on the Vohan River, which flows into the Neimara just northeast of Pointe Neiman. Sandeol is roughly equidistant from Jovahl and Kherseilles (150 milles each way). The Neimara is the river on which Jovahl is located.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
mikor60
Apprentice Scribe

Post by mikor60 »

lmodesitt wrote:Sandeol is south and east of Jovahl, and is located on the Vohan River, which flows into the Neimara just northeast of Pointe Neiman. Sandeol is roughly equidistant from Jovahl and Kherseilles (150 milles each way). The Neimara is the river on which Jovahl is located.
Thank you! I've updated my map to reflect the info.
--Mikor60
mikor60
Apprentice Scribe

Post by mikor60 »

I've been trying to put together a more detailed map of pre-unification Lydar, based on the Quaeryt books. If anybody's interested, it's at Lydar Vector Map. The image is a SVG file, most browsers support display of such files with zoom and scroll without losing detail.

Any comments or corrections are appreciated. I plan to add a few more towns and roads described the books but not shown in the front matter.
--Mikor60
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

Worked fine in Chrome browser on my Nexus.

Kudos!

I didn't try to do any QA - mostly because I don't have the map committed to memory - but it's very pretty!
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

mikor60 wrote:I've been trying to put together a more detailed map of pre-unification Lydar, based on the Quaeryt books. If anybody's interested, it's at Lydar Vector Map. The image is a SVG file, most browsers support display of such files with zoom and scroll without losing detail.

Any comments or corrections are appreciated. I plan to add a few more towns and roads described the books but not shown in the front matter.
Works great on my Android phone as well.

This is very helpful. Unfortunately for me I was almost finished reading Rex Regis by the time I found your map, but I wanted to thank you for your efforts.

Any maps that may exist at the beginning of the Kindle editions of these novels is nearly impossible to use on my phone or Kindle. Your map let me zoom in scroll, as advertised.

Great job!
mikor60
Apprentice Scribe

Post by mikor60 »

KevinT wrote: Works great on my Android phone as well.

This is very helpful. Unfortunately for me I was almost finished reading Rex Regis by the time I found your map, but I wanted to thank you for your efforts.

Any maps that may exist at the beginning of the Kindle editions of these novels is nearly impossible to use on my phone or Kindle. Your map let me zoom in scroll, as advertised.

Great job!
Cool! Glad it worked.
--Mikor60
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

mikor60 wrote:

Great job!
Cool! Glad it worked.
I don't suppose you have a similar map of Corus, from the Corean Chronicles, do you?
mikor60
Apprentice Scribe

Post by mikor60 »

KevinT wrote:
mikor60 wrote:

Great job!
Cool! Glad it worked.
I don't suppose you have a similar map of Corus, from the Corean Chronicles, do you?
Alas, the best I have is a reasonably high-resolution (raster) scan of Corus at File:Corus (Scepters 2004).jpg.
(The direct image link is at here).

I've considered augmenting the map based on the books, but never got around to it. I'd be interested in a joint project if anybody wants to help :-)
--Mikor60
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Post by KevinT »

mikor60 wrote: Alas, the best I have is a reasonably high-resolution (raster) scan of Corus at File:Corus (Scepters 2004).jpg.

I've considered augmenting the map based on the books, but never got around to it. I'd be interested in a joint project if anybody wants to help :-)
Thank you, mikor60. That's quite an improvement over the next best image I was able to find online.

I'm not sure how helpful I could be on any map augmentation project. What sort of help did you have in mind?

I have not finished reading the Corus novels, and at this point would want to avoid exposure to any story information past chapter 72 of Scepters. I'll probably finish the rest of the Corus novels sometime in the next few months (unless I am sidetracked by something, such as the new Recluce novel).

Thanks again for making those maps available. I've sent the map of Corus to my phone so I can refer to it easily as I read.

Kevin
mikor60
Apprentice Scribe

Post by mikor60 »

KevinT wrote:
mikor60 wrote: Alas, the best I have is a reasonably high-resolution (raster) scan of Corus at File:Corus (Scepters 2004).jpg.

Thank you, mikor60. That's quite an improvement over the next best image I was able to find online.

I'm not sure how helpful I could be on any map augmentation project. What sort of help did you have in mind?

I have not finished reading the Corus novels, and at this point would want to avoid exposure to any story information past chapter 72 of Scepters. I'll probably finish the rest of the Corus novels sometime in the next few months (unless I am sidetracked by something, such as the new Recluce novel).

Thanks again for making those maps available. I've sent the map of Corus to my phone so I can refer to it easily as I read.

Kevin
Glad you like the map -- I myself obviously like to look at the maps when following narratives in Mr. Modesitt's worlds.

Ideally I'd like somebody working on/adding detail to the maps, using something like Illustrator or Inkscape (or some other graphics program).
A different approach would be somebody sending me short snippets describing the locations of settlements and landforms, so I can put them on a map image. And perhaps reviewing existing maps for omissions or errors.
--Mikor60

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”