Quantum Shadows

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Quantum Shadows

Post by CodeBlower »

I'm going to try to do this without spoiling anything ..

This book has been sitting on my shelf -- and riding in my backpack during various travels -- for a while now.

I finally found myself between other books -- in a lull in the cacophony of my readings and writings -- and determined to knock this off my "to do list" before I added much more to the pile.

My brain is still parsing the pieces. I kind of felt like I was bouncing around in a windstorm. Some of that is because of the way the book progresses; some of it is because I chose to read after I'd finished my other daily duties and usually stopped reading when I caught myself nodding off.

My favorite Easter egg was:
As he sat at the table for two, Corvyn hoped she did not arrive with a bowl of milk, although that struck him as unlikely.
Corvyn, regarding Jael
Quantum Shadows
Hardback p. 125
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Re: Quantum Shadows

Post by lmodesitt »

Although I'm obviously biased, I think it's fair to say that there's far more in Quantum Shadows than meets the casual eye [or read].

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

Post by CodeBlower »

I realize my "review" is shallow.

Most of that is from my ignorance of the material -- I know very little about any religion other than my own. I DO believe that you have increased my knowledge in the areas where I've had a relationship with somebody from a different "Decalivre".

As I stated, I was also trying to avoid spoilers -- so -- for me -- that makes everything I write more vague than it needs to be -- because I don't even know what I'm saying that might ruin something for somebody. I was hoping my "Easter egg" reference was vague enough to not violate the "spoiler" rule.

I think I would get along just fine with Corvyn. He is practical and cautious -- and I would hope those I interact with would say the same things about me. Most of those around him see him as an instigator -- and I'm pretty sure those who have to put up with me would agree that I fit that definition. To me, he also despises deceit -- even while others label him as deceitful -- and I "feel" that as well.

As always, I am humbled that you engage us, your readers, on such an intimate level. I've written a few small pieces that I have submitted online and -- although I enjoy the craft and would like the improve my skill -- I dread putting myself (and my creations) out there for people to slander.

I don't believe that you will ever NOT be my favorite author; this piece just wasn't for me -- although I enjoyed the magic and the political intrigue.
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Post by lmodesitt »

Fair enough. Not everything I write affects everyone in the same way.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”