Imager Question

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

JTass
Scribe

Imager Question

Post by JTass »

Hi Mr. M.,

I re-read Imager over the weekend, and something popped out to me that I hadn't noticed before.

Several times Rhenn references the fact that his brother Rousel can charm or talk people into almost anything, except for Rhenn. Previously I had always assumed that Rhenn's immunity to Rousel's blandishments was just a matter of Rhenn knowing Rousel better than others, with perhaps a bit of sibling rivalry thrown into the mix. But on this most recent read-through, an alternate explanation occurred to me.

Was Rousel's charm a subtle manifestation of imaging, similar to the way that Rhenn and other imagers can project emotions? If so, it follows that the obdurate tendencies inherent in being an imager allowed Rhenn to avoid being influenced.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?
lmodesitt
Professional Wordsmith

Re: Imager Question

Post by lmodesitt »

I frankly hadn't thought of persuasiveness as a "semi-imager" trait, but I had definitely thought that Rhenn's obdurate/Imager abilities rendered him impervious to Rousel's persuasiveness and charm.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
JTass
Scribe

Re: Imager Question

Post by JTass »

lmodesitt wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:54 pm I frankly hadn't thought of persuasiveness as a "semi-imager" trait, but I had definitely thought that Rhenn's obdurate/Imager abilities rendered him impervious to Rousel's persuasiveness and charm.

L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
The train of thought that popped into my head was that Rousel's persuasiveness was a manifestation of an undeveloped imaging ability of his own. He had no training, and his innate level of talent was less than Rhenn's, so he can't affect the physical world the way that Rhenn can. His ability to charm people was along the same lines as Rhenn's initial experiences with unconsciously modifying his paintings by imaging. When Rousel attempts to be persuasive, he unconsciously projects 'you agree with me' or 'my suggestion is reasonable' at the person he is trying to charm.
Considering the principles involved, what are the odds that Murphy's Law is named after the wrong guy?

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”