ISOLATE .. thoughts and discussions .. [spoilers]

A place to discuss the rich and varied worlds of L.E. Modesitt, Jr. All are welcome!

Official Website: here. Official Fan site: here

Moderators: Ghost, lmodesitt

CodeBlower
Shakespearean Groupie

ISOLATE .. thoughts and discussions .. [spoilers]

Post by CodeBlower »

I just finished. I usually try to get through Mr. Modesitt's pieces in as close to one session as I can .. this was much more strung out. No matter how much I liked Dekkard and Ysella -- oh, and Axel -- I had to work to get back to a time where I could sit down and read.

I've gotta say that I felt every "bell" of the campaign trail -- both before and after elections were announced.

The various quotes from the Councilor -- combined with the moment-by-tedious-moment retelling of the encounters with the various groups and individuals Axel was "courting" -- make me wonder how many hours Mr. Modesitt has spent doing this -- or playing Dekkard's role ..

My political career has been relatively short -- and mostly boring -- but I think I've been in every single one of those conversations at one point or another.

The fatigue. The questions. The reactions. The anxiety.

I guess I'll be curious to see what the feelings & thoughts are of those who haven't run for public office ..

These three quotes are just a selection of those that I "felt":
"Only a small percentage of the people really understand politics. The rest only think they do . . . or don't care."
"He's often said that a politician is always in danger of losing until the last vote is counted and he's definitely won."
"You make an effort to meet people you don't know," said Dekkard.
"Some people I don't know. You can neglect those who support you to gain new supporters, but you can't just rely on past supporters either. Like everything in politics, it's a balancing act."
"Budge up, yeh great lump." -- Hagrid, HP:SS
-=-
The gelding is what the gelding is, unlike people who change in response to their perceptions of events that may benefit or threaten their power. -- Lorn, Chapter LXXXII, Magi'i of Cyador
Gil galad
Assistant Scholar

Re: ISOLATE .. thoughts and discussions .. [spoilers]

Post by Gil galad »

Lay opinion here, I've never been involved in politics; I felt this was the best written Modesitt novel in a long time. It really felt like a return to the setting and subject matter that Mr Modesitt is intimately familiar with and the depth of that experience shone through in the small details. Can't wait for the next book.
KevinT
Apprentice Scribe

Re: ISOLATE .. thoughts and discussions .. [spoilers]

Post by KevinT »

I'd love it if someone would help me crack the code on the months/seasons, days of the week, and times of day in Isolate. For some reason I'm not picking this up as easy as in other Modesitt worlds.

Use a spoiler tag, I suppose?

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Return to “L. E. Modesitt”