Winston Graham's bibliography

The unofficial discussion board for "The Poldarks of Nampara".

Moderator: laurie

Jim50
Bookworm

WInston Graham's Fiction

Post by Jim50 »

Hello David

First of all, to get your list right you need to remove Poldark's Cornwall and The Spanish Armadas (which are both non-fiction books) and one entry for The Little Walls (which you have listed twice). That will leave you with 42 books. Since they were independently published and also partially revised from their former incarnations, I personally would also give both Woman In The Mirror and Cameo their own places on the list, which would give you a definitive WG novels list of 44 titles.

Regarding short stories, there are 14 in The Japanese Girl and one each in the two books Winter's Crimes Volumes 6 (1975) and 19 (1987). Those 16 + The Horse Dealer makes a total of 17 stories in all. Not sure where your reference to 18 stories comes from.

Concerning books published under more than one title, a day or so ago I saw another German WG book for sale entitled Peggy. It was clear from the seller's blurb that this was the book more commonly known as Angell, Pearl and Little God. Judging by the publication date, I would guess that the German book called Jennifer is probably Woman In The Mirror, though I have no confirmation of this. Can anyone help on that one?

To answer some of your other questions: I first read Winston Graham in the late 60s/early 70s - the first one I remember reading is The Tumbled House. (That may or may not be right - it was a long time ago!) I know I was taken by what I read. Like many others, I also enjoyed the Poldark series on TV, which led me to those books. Over the years I read every WG I came across until eventually I reached the point where I'd read all of his readily-available work - and found all of it more or less consistently enjoyable too. Then, in 1997, I noticed in the front of an old copy of The Merciless Ladies a list of ten Winston Graham titles I'd never previously heard of. I wouldn't have thought any more about this, except that, shortly afterwards, and quite by chance, I came across one of these titles (Without Motive) on the shelves of my local second-hand bookshop, and this opened my eyes to the fact that, if I tried, I might be able to track down copies of all of these "missing" books, even though they'd all been out of print for more than fifty years. Not at that time being internet-savvy, what I did next was write to Mr Graham to ask him about these old books and his reply surprised me in two respects - first that he himself didn't think very much of any of them and second that he didn't even own copies of them all! But I chose to search for them anyway and, one by one, turned up copies of all nine (to go with the one I'd already found locally). How? By scouring the net. If you're like me you'll have very mixed feelings about the internet - after all, if you let it, it's quite capable of gobbling up large chunks of your life whilst giving back very little in return. All the same, when it comes to book-searching, the net is nigh-on the perfect tool. Having picked up Without Motive from my local bookshop, I could revisit that store every week for the rest of my life and never see another old Winston Graham. But net book-searching lets you browse the bookshops of the world, so giving you access to a huge quantity of out-of-print books for sale, and I must say that there is no book (or CD) - and this includes several very obscure titles - that I've looked for on the net and not eventually found (though it sometimes takes a while). As for sources, there are a great many. ABE and Alibris are both very good second-hand book source sites and there are lots of others too (just enter those names, or "book search" or similar into Google or other search engine). Thereafter, it's up to you to decide to what lengths you wish to go to track these books down, and also, of course, what sort of money you want to spend. That first book I came upon locally, at a fiver, was the cheapest of the ten I eventually bought. The most I paid was £50 for a copy, in a good cover, of Strangers Meeting. Most of the others went for between £20 and £30. Obviously, condition of the book itself is a big factor, as is the presence or absence of a dust jacket, as well as the jacket's condition. I have to say that luck plays a big part too, for you can find what appears to be the same book offered by two sellers at widely differing prices (for instance, I have seen My Turn Next, including a good dust jacket, at both £10 and £120). Since I wrote my previous post, a copy of The Giant's Chair has appeared on ABE, priced at $60 or about £35. Is it worth it? Each reader must decide for themselves. All I can say is that, until such time as they are reprinted (and I can't see that happening), these old books are bound to become more and more scarce and thus (probably) more and more expensive.

As for favourite authors, I have several. The one who's given me the most pleasure in recent times is Georges Simenon. The authors I admire most are George Eliot, Thomas Hardy, Wilkie Collins and Willa Cather, in that order. But life's too short to read all the good books there are, which is, I suppose, how it should be. Stick with it.

Jim50

Update 2013: Find a comprehensive annotated Winston Graham bibliography here:

http://winstongraham.yolasite.com
Last edited by Jim50 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Apprentice Scribe

Five categories for all Winston's works ?

Post by David »

Hi Jim

Thanks for your interesting and detailed reply ! :)
First of all, to get your list right you need to remove Poldark's Cornwall and The Spanish Armadas (which are both non-fiction books) and one entry for The Little Walls (which you have listed twice).
If you check my very last posting to you of Fri. 20th Feb. in reply to yours of Wed. 18th Feb. at the very bottom (not the very rough first draft earlier list of Feb 8th to Rita) you'll note that this had already been updated first on the 20th and finally on the 22nd Feb.
Since they were independently published and also partially revised from their former incarnations, I personally would also give both Woman In The Mirror and Cameo their own places on the list....
You're the boss :)
However referring back to the updated 22nd Feb. final list how would you classify number 13 - "The Wreck of the Grey Cat" and number 22 -"Bridge to Vengeance" ?
Regarding short stories, there are 14 in The Japanese Girl and one each in the two books Winter's Crimes Volumes 6 (1975) and 19 (1987). Those 16 + The Horse Dealer makes a total of 17 stories in all. Not sure where your reference to 18 stories comes from.
Again if you refer to my last updated posting of the 22nd Feb. at the bottom and under the heading Short Stories which I've copied out below....

Short stories

45. 14 short stories 1975. Incl.The Japanese Girl (1971 ?) aka The Cornish Farm (reprint ?) - 1971, The Circus - see Winter's Crimes Volume 6 (1975)
46. At the Chalet Lartrec - 1971
47. The Basket Chair - ?
48. Nothing in the Library - 1987. 3 short stories - see Winter's Crimes Volume 19 (1987)
49.The Horse Dealer
- (Jennifer - re- named ? Published in Germany -1982)

Not being sure I counted item 45 as a total of 14, plus The Circus as just 1, making 15. Then item 48 as 3 more making a final total of 18 in all. However I've no idea about "Nothing in the Library" so this might be yet another one making 19 ?

Finally having only just discovered items 46, 47 and having not yet caught up with 49 (I will, I will !) in the absence of any finalised details I included them in the overall total to be sorted out later on. Incidentally as it would appear you're based in the U.K. as well (??) if you haven't already found this URL it might prove of use sometime ? I found it a great help.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/autho ... Graham.htm
Concerning books published under more than one title, a day or so ago I saw another German WG book for sale entitled Peggy. It was clear from the seller's blurb that this was the book more commonly known as Angell, Pearl and Little God. Judging by the publication date, I would guess that the German book called Jennifer is probably Woman In The Mirror, though I have no confirmation of this. Can anyone help on that one?
Having progressed this far (and my thanks to everyone for their valued input), it now seems to make sense that any final acceptable list of Winston's works should remain permanently categorised under these 4 different sub-headings of Novels, Short Stories, Non-Fiction and Anthologies rather than trying to make a grand total of everything ? In the meantime I would suggest that as and when new and indefinite publications etc. suddenly surface they are temporarily placed into a final fifth category called say Unclassified ? Perhaps therefore to keep updating every so often to the current Master list of the 22nd Feb. for the time being ? (Still to add Woman in the Mirror and Cameo.)

Finally it was really fascinating to hear about all your long and successful (!) searches and I agree that the Net is by far the quickest way of finding things compared to what it must have been like. I definitely agree with you about Hardy of course....I wonder how many others put Hardy at the top of their lists ?

But there is just one teensy little important question left, probably shared by a good few here too ! I think I'm pretty safe in saying that you must be amongst one of the most well-read and knowledgeable of all Winston's fans, so how do you rate all his Poldark books in comparison with all his other ones ? Leaving aside the obvious differences in story lines, plots, historical periods and so on, would you agree that they represent Winston at his most creative and imaginative best ?

Thanks again Jim for all your thoughts ! :-)

David
Jim50
Bookworm

Winston Graham's Fiction

Post by Jim50 »

David

Your list of WG novels now looks correct to me. However, I can't make head nor tail of your short story list, so I've put together a list of all the WG short stories I'm aware of:

WINSTON GRAHAM SHORT STORIES

(01) The Japanese Girl
(02) The Medici Ear-ring
(03) Cotty's Cove
(04) The Island
(05) Gibb
(06) At The Chalet Lartrec
(07) Vive Le Roi
(08) The Cornish Farm
(09) The Wigwam
(10) The Old Boys
(11) I Had Known Sam Taylor For Years
(12) The Basket Chair
(13) Jacka's Fight
(14) But For The Grace of God
(15) The Circus
(16) Nothing In The Library
(17) The Horse Dealer

1-14 were published together under the title of The Japanese Girl. Some or all of them have apparently been republished under the title of The Cornish Farm and individual stories have also appeared in various mixed-author anthologies.

15: Winter's Crimes Volume 6 (1975) is a collection of original stories, all by different authors, which includes a contribution from WG called The Circus.

16: Winter's Crimes Volume 19 (1987) is another collection of original stories by different authors. WG's contribution this time is called Nothing In The Library.

17: The Horse Dealer - see the Poldark Website

Here is a suggestion for another section of your WG catalogue:

WORKS OF WINSTON GRAHAM PUBLISHED UNDER MORE THAN ONE TITLE

1) Ross Poldark aka The Renegade (USA)
2) Jeremy Poldark aka Venture Once More (USA)
3) Warleggan aka The Last Gamble (USA)
4) The Forgotten Story aka The Wreck of the Grey Cat (USA)
5) The Little Walls aka Bridge to Vengeance (USA)
6) Angell, Pearl & Little God aka Peggy (Germany)
7) Woman In The Mirror aka Jennifer (Germany)
8) The Japanese Girl republished, with revised contents, as The Cornish Farm (worldwide)

[NB: I'm not 100% certain about the accuracy of either 7 or 8 above.]

As for your other comments, I cannot and would not claim to be an authority on Winston Graham or his works. I have read everything he has written and have a view on his output and standards. That view, of course, is no more informed or pertinent or worthwhile just because it's mine. But your questions got me thinking about which of his books I most enjoyed. Of the non-Poldarks, I would pick the following 12 as being arguably his best:

The Giant's Chair
Keys of Chance
The Merciless Ladies
Fortune Is A Woman
The Sleeping Partner
The Tumbled House
Marnie
After the Act
The Walking Stick
Angell, Pearl and Little God
The Green Flash
Tremor

Regarding Poldark, the first four are wonderful, vols five to ten are good, but lack something of the magic of 1-4 and both The Twisted Sword and Bella were, in my opinion, a step too far. Incidentally, what connects Warleggan, The Twisted Sword and Bella Poldark? The fact that all were marketed on first publication as "the final Poldark".

Last edited by Jim50 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Apprentice Scribe

The complete works of Winston Graham ?

Post by David »

Hi Jim

Thanks as always for the great updates....! :) Seems to me btw you are a bit of an expert despite what you say otherwise someone out there would definitely have jumped in by now !
However, I can’t make head nor tail of your short story list, so I’ve put together a list of all the WG short stories I’m aware of:
On the other hand up until recently the only details about his other books I'd had time to discover were those I found at the front of Bella ! But then one has to start somewhere....

OK

This is the latest up-dated list as at 26/2/04

THE (NEARLY) COMPLETE WORKS OF WINSTON GRAHAM

NOVELS

1. The House with the Stained Glass Windows - 1934
2. Into the Fog -1935 Extremely rare.
3. The Riddle of John Rowe -1935
4. Without Motive - 1936
5. The Dangerous Pawn -1937
6. The Giant's Chair -1938. Rare.
7. Keys of Chance - 1939
8. Strangers Meeting - 1939. Rare.
9. No Exit - 1940
10. Night Journey - 1941
11. My Turn Next -1942. Rare.
12. The Merciless Ladies - 1944
13. The Forgotten Story - 1945.
14. Ross Poldark - (1783-1787) 1945
15. Demelza - (1788-1790) 1946
16. Take My Life - 1947
17. Cordelia - 1949
18. Night Without Stars - 1950
19 Jeremy Poldark - (1790-1791) 1950
20. Fortune Is A Woman - 1952
21. Warleggan - (1792-1793) 1953
22. The Little Walls -1955
23. The Sleeping Partner - 1956
24. Greek Fire - 1957
25. The Tumbled House - 1959
26. Marnie - 1961
27. After the Act - 1965
28. The Walking Stick - 1967
29. Angell, Pearl and Little God - 1970
30. The Grove of Eagles - 1970
31. The Black Moon - (1794-1795) 1973
32. Woman in the Mirror - 1975
33. The Four Swans - (1795-1797) 1976
34. The Angry Tide - (1789-1799) 1977
35. Stranger From The Sea - (1810-1811) 1981
36. The Millers Dance - (1812-1813) 1982
37. The Loving Cup - (1813-1815) 1984(?)
38. The Green Flash - 1986
39. Cameo - 1988
40. The Twisted Sword - (1815) 1991
41. Stephanie - 1992
42. Tremor - 1996
43 The Ugly Sister - 1998
44. Bella - (1818-1820) 2003

SHORT STORIES

1. The Japanese Girl
2. The Medici Ear-ring
3. Cotty’s Cove
4. The Island
5. Gibb
6. At The Chalet Lartrec
7. Vive Le Roi
8. The Cornish Farm
9. The Wigwam
10. The Old Boys
11. I Have Known Sam Taylor For Years
12. The Basket Chair
13. Jacka’s Fight
14. But For The Grace of God
15. The Circus
16 Nothing In The Library
17. The Horse Dealer

Notes :
 Nos. 1-14 were published together under the title of The Japanese Girl (1971). Some or all of them have apparently been republished under the title of The Cornish Farm and individual stories have also appeared in various mixed-author anthologies.
 No: 15 Winter’s Crimes Volume 6 (1975) is a collection of original stories, all by different authors, which includes a contribution from WG called The Circus.
 No: 16 Winter’s Crimes Volume 19 (1987) is another collection of original stories by different authors – WG’s contribution this time is called Nothing In The Library.
 No. 17 The Horse Dealer – see the Poldark Website

WORKS PUBLISHED UNDER MORE THAN ONE TITLE

1. Ross Poldark aka The Renegade (USA - 1945)
2. Jeremy Poldark aka Venture Once More (USA - 1950)
3. Warleggan aka The Last Gamble (USA - 1953)
4. The Forgotten Story aka The Wreck of the Grey Cat (USA - 1958)
5. The Little Walls aka Bridge to Vengeance (USA - 1955)
6. Angell, Pearl & Little God aka Peggy (Germany - 1970)
7. Woman In The Mirror aka Jennifer (?) (Germany - 1975)
8 The Japanese Girl republished, with revised contents, as The Cornish Farm (?) (worldwide - 1971)

NON-FICTION

1. Spanish Armadas - 1972
2. Poldark's Cornwall - 1983
3. Memoirs of a Private Man - 2003

ANTHOLOGIES CONTAINING SHORT STORIES

1. The 7th Fontana Book of Great Horror Stories - 1972
2. Realms of Darkness - 1985
3. The Mammoth Book of Twentieth Century Ghost Stories - 1998

Hope there's no typo errors !
Then, in 1997, I noticed in the front of an old copy of The Merciless Ladies a list of ten Winston Graham titles I'd never previously heard of. I wouldn't have thought any more about this, except that, shortly afterwards, and quite by chance, I came across one of these titles (Without Motive) on the shelves of my local second-hand bookshop....
You've included "Without Motive" in the above master list (No. 4.) but do you have any idea which were the other nine that Winston didn't think very highly of ? It would be interesting one day to try and get hold of a copy of some of them to be able to judge as well.

Regarding Poldark, the first four are wonderful, vols five to ten are good, but lack something of the magic of 1-4 and both The Twisted Sword and Bella were, in my opinion, a step too far. Incidentally, what connects Warleggan, The Twisted Sword and Bella Poldark? The fact that all were marketed on first publication as “the final Poldark”. It seems that, as far as Ross & Co. were concerned, he just couldn’t stop and I’m sure that, were he still alive today, plans for vol 13 would be gently simmering away. But WG was an exceptionally good writer who left a fine legacy for readers of all ages to enjoy, so who am I to carp?

Interesting your take on the Poldark books and that "he just couldn't stop" ! Were you ever fortunate enough to meet him in person ?

......and your most favourite Winston Graham book of all ?

Thanks again :)

David
Last edited by David on Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdrumpole
Apprentice Scribe

Post by pdrumpole »

I read on "All Things Poldark" that "Demelza" was published in the US as "Elizabeth's Story". I have never seen a copy, but have a copy of "The Renegade". I don't know whether or not you might want to add this one to the list ("Elizabeth's Story).

Rita

PS: Have been following this discussion and am in awe of all that knowledge about Winston Graham works. Keep up the good work.
Jim50
Bookworm

Winston Graham's Fiction

Post by Jim50 »

Hello again David

The books WG chose to turn his back on were those on your list numbered 1-9 + 11. Quite why he chose to disown those ten whilst keeping Night Journey in print (for it's surely one of the same series and certainly not noticeably "better") I can't imagine. As for getting hold of copies, it can be done. They were all published by a firm called Ward Lock. You know their titles. Seek and ye shall find.

I can't name a favourite WG book. I would say that the sequence of novels that started with The Tumbled House and ended with Angell, Pearl ... represents his best period. But others will prefer other books or periods, which is fine. I think that what impresses me about WG more than any individual book is his continued commitment over almost seven decades to his life's work, which resulted in so substantial a body of superior writing for us all to enjoy. I never met him, although I'm pleased to say I did exchange a few letters with him in the last years of his life. He told me that one of his regrets was than he hadn't been a better writer - so you can add self-effacing modesty to his other many virtues. Now he's gone, the best way to honour his memory is to keep reading his books. That so far you've only read a few of them is something I very much envy, for that means you've a great deal of pleasure still to come.

All the best

Jim
Last edited by Jim50 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Apprentice Scribe

WINSTON GRAHAM'S BIBLIOGRAPHY

Post by David »

Hi Jim

Could you let me know if anything is still incorrect or missing....otherwise I think this could well be the final Master List? I've answered your last post at the bottom.

Thanks too Rita for the info. on Elizabeth's Story :)

===================================================================

As at 27/2/04

NOVELS

4. Without Motive - 1936
6. The Giant's Chair - 1938. Rare.
7. Keys of Chance - 1939
9. No Exit - 1940
10. Night Journey - 1941
16. Take My Life - 1947
17. Cordelia - 1949
24. Greek Fire - 1957
26. Marnie - 1961
27. After the Act - 1965
37. The Loving Cup - (1813-1815) 1984
39. Cameo - 1988
41. Stephanie - 1992
42. Tremor - 1996

Notes :
 Quote : "The books WG chose to turn his back on were books 1-9 + 11. Quite why he chose to disown those ten whilst keeping Night Journey in print (for it's surely one of the same series and certainly not noticeably "better") I can't imagine. As for getting hold of copies, it can be done. They were all published by a firm called Ward Lock". Jim50 27/2/2004
 The Giant's Chair (1938) and My Turn Next (1942) were subsequently revised and republished under different titles: Woman In The Mirror (1975) and Cameo (1988) respectively. The plot of The Giant's Chair was retained but the narrative substantially pruned (from 314 pages down to 238).

SHORT STORIES

1. The Japanese Girl
2. The Medici Ear-ring
3. Cotty’s Cove
4. The Island
5. Gibb
6. At The Chalet Lartrec
7. Vive Le Roi
8. The Cornish Farm
9. The Wigwam
10. The Old Boys
11. I Have Known Sam Taylor For Years
12. The Basket Chair
13. Jacka’s Fight
15. The Circus
16. Nothing In The Library
17. The Horse Dealer

Notes :
 Nos. 1-14 were published together under the title of The Japanese Girl (1971). Some or all of them have apparently been republished under the title of The Cornish Farm and individual stories have also appeared in various mixed-author anthologies.
 No: 15 Winter’s Crimes Volume 6 (1975) is a collection of original stories, all by different authors, which includes a contribution from WG called The Circus.
 No: 16 Winter’s Crimes Volume 19 (1987) is another collection of original stories by different authors – WG’s contribution this time is called Nothing In The Library.

2. Demelza aka Elizabeth's Story (USA - 1946)
3. Jeremy Poldark aka Venture Once More (USA - 1950)
4. Warleggan aka The Last Gamble (USA - 1953)
6. The Forgotten Story aka The Wreck of the Grey Cat (USA - 1958)
7. Angell, Pearl & Little God aka Peggy (Germany - 1970)
8. The Japanese Girl republished, with revised contents, as The Cornish Farm (?) (worldwide - 1971)
9. Woman In The Mirror aka Jennifer (?) (Germany - 1975)

NON-FICTION

(Grateful acknowledgements to "Jim50" and many of the regulars here for all their valuable help and assistance in compiling this bibliography)

===================================================================

BTW forgot to ask last time if you had any thoughts and views not only on all of the Poldark videos vs the books, but whether you'd ever seen any of the films or TV productions of his books as well ? Such as "Marnie" with Sean Connery and I think Tippi Hedren etc. (Wasn't Tippi the lead actress in "Birds" by Hitchcock ?)
Now he's gone, the best way to honour his memory is to keep reading his books. That so far you've only read a few of them is something I very much envy, for that means you've a great deal of pleasure still to come.
Thanks for all your invaluable time, help and input Jim !! I'm quite sure it'll mean a great deal of future reading pleasure not only for all of us on here but untold numbers of future fans too.

Which is the whole idea is it not ? :wink:

David
Jim50
Bookworm

Winston Graham's Fiction

Post by Jim50 »

David: your lists are now sound. Couple of errors (of mine) to correct: short story title is I Had (not Have) Known Sam Taylor For Years and publication year for Winter's Tales Vol 6 was 1974, not 1975. Incidentally, there is a note in the front of The Japanese Girl to say that 12 of the 14 stories in there had previously appeared in various books or magazines, so, if you choose to hunt them up, there will be lots of alternative sources for most of those stories. Personally I'd not bother. What's useful for readers is the most readily accessible source of all the work. In respect of the short stories, you need The Japanese Girl, the two Winter's Crimes books and access to No. 17 on the web. If I get any more info on those alternative German (or other) titles, I'll let you know.

All the best

Jim

Last edited by Jim50 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Apprentice Scribe

Winstons Graham's Bibliography

Post by David »

NOVELS

4. Without Motive - 1936
7. Keys of Chance - 1939
9. No Exit - 1940
10. Night Journey - 1941
16. Take My Life - 1947
17. Cordelia - 1949
24. Greek Fire - 1957
26. Marnie - 1961
27. After the Act - 1965
39. Cameo - 1988
41. Stephanie - 1992
42. Tremor - 1996

Notes :
 Quote : "The books WG chose to turn his back on were books 1-9 + 11. Quite why he chose to disown those ten whilst keeping Night Journey in print (for it's surely one of the same series and certainly not noticeably "better") I can't imagine. As for getting hold of copies, it can be done. They were all published by a firm called Ward Lock". Jim50 27/2/2004
 The Giant's Chair (1938) and My Turn Next (1942) were subsequently revised and republished under different titles: Woman In The Mirror (1975) and Cameo (1988) respectively. The plot of The Giant's Chair was retained but the narrative substantially pruned (from 314 pages down to 238).

SHORT STORIES

1. The Japanese Girl
2. The Medici Ear-ring
3. Cotty’s Cove
4. The Island
5. Gibb
6. At The Chalet Lartrec
7. Vive Le Roi
8. The Cornish Farm
9. The Wigwam
10. The Old Boys
11. I Had Known Sam Taylor For Years
12. The Basket Chair
13. Jacka’s Fight
15. The Circus
17. The Horse Dealer

Notes :
 No: 15 Winter’s Crimes Volume 6 (1974) is a collection of original stories, all by different authors, which includes a contribution from WG called The Circus.

8. The Japanese Girl republished, with revised contents, as The Cornish Farm (?) (worldwide - 1971)
9. Woman In The Mirror aka Jennifer (?) (Germany - 1975)

NON-FICTION

(Grateful acknowledgements to "Jim50" and many of the regulars here for all their valuable help and assistance in compiling this bibliography)

28th February 2004
Jim50
Bookworm

Winston Graham's Fiction

Post by Jim50 »

David

(1) I've had confirmation from a Hamburg bookseller that Jennifer is a German translation of Cordelia (not Woman In The Mirror as I had guessed). It seems very odd to me that anyone should think it necessary to make such an arbitrary change - for isn't the original title every bit as meaningful as its replacement?? Bizarre!

(2) My Bodley Head edition of Night Journey includes this short introductory note by WG:

Night Journey was written in 1940 and published in 1941. It sold about 700 copies and then the type and sheets were destroyed in an air-raid. I have revised it for this [1966] publication, but have not attempted to alter its judgements with the superior hind-sight of twenty-five years.

Confirmation, then, that WG did indeed turn his back on his first eleven novels (1-11 on your list), only for three of them to be subsequently revisited for revision and republication - Night Journey revised in 1966 and republished under its original title, followed by The Giant's Chair/Woman In The Mirror and My Turn Next/Cameo as previously described.

Over and out

Jim

Last edited by Jim50 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
David
Apprentice Scribe

Post by David »

Hi Jim :wink:

Hope you've no objections but please feel free to update whenever you want as I think my computer's sufferin' a tad plus I'm really trying to catch up on things.... :D

Just copy and paste the final master list onto your own page then you can edit away from the top right hand corner.

Thanks of course for the interesting info :)

David
David
Apprentice Scribe

Final Update

Post by David »

NOVELS

4. Without Motive - 1936
7. Keys of Chance - 1939
9. No Exit - 1940
10. Night Journey - 1941
16. Take My Life - 1947
17. Cordelia - 1949
24. Greek Fire - 1957
26. Marnie - 1961
27. After the Act - 1965
39. Cameo - 1988
41. Stephanie - 1992
42. Tremor - 1996

Notes :
* Quote : "The books WG chose to turn his back on were books 1-9 + 11. Quite why he chose to disown those ten whilst keeping Night Journey in print (for it's surely one of the same series and certainly not noticeably "better") I can't imagine. As for getting hold of copies, it can be done. They were all published by a firm called Ward Lock". Jim50 27/2/2004
* The Giant's Chair (1938) and My Turn Next (1942) were subsequently revised and republished under different titles: Woman In The Mirror (1975) and Cameo (1988) respectively. The plot of The Giant's Chair was retained but the narrative substantially pruned (from 314 pages down to 238).
* My Bodley Head edition of Night Journey includes this short introductory note by WG: "Night Journey was written in 1940 and published in 1941. It sold about 700 copies and then the type and sheets were destroyed in an air-raid … … I have revised it for this [1966] publication, but have not attempted to alter its judgements with the superior hind-sight of twenty-five years." Confirmation, then, that WG did indeed turn his back on his first eleven novels (1-11 on the list), only for three of them to be subsequently revisited for revision and republication - Night Journey revised in 1966 and republished under its original title, followed by The Giant’s Chair/Woman In The Mirror and My Turn Next/Cameo as previously described. Jim50 2/3/2004

SHORT STORIES

1. The Japanese Girl
2. The Medici Ear-ring
3. Cotty’s Cove
4. The Island
5. Gibb
6. At The Chalet Lartrec
7. Vive Le Roi
8. The Cornish Farm
9. The Wigwam
10. The Old Boys
12. The Basket Chair
13. Jacka’s Fight
15. The Circus
17. The Horse Dealer

Notes :
 No: 15 Winter’s Crimes Volume 6 (1974) is a collection of original stories, all by different authors, which includes a contribution from WG called The Circus.

9. Cordelia aka Jennifer (Germany - 1975)

NON-FICTION

17th March 2004
Ross Carter
Bookworm

One more short story

Post by Ross Carter »

I think there is one more short story to be found. I apologize that I cannot remember many facts about it. I have not read it. If memory serves me correctly, Winston wrote a short story and donated it to a small nonprofit organizaton in Cornwall. This would be in 2002 or 2003, I suppose. Unlike The Horse Dealer, this story was not printed in a newspaper; the only distribution was directly from the organization.

The organization might have been a literary society of some sort. I wish I could remember!

Ross
Rich
Bookworm

Post by Rich »

Ross, from what I read Mr. Graham gave his short story to "Scryfa" which is a compendium of contemporary Cornish writing. The literary society appears to be based right in Cornwall itself. Unfortunately, I don't have the title of Mr. Graham' s story. But perhaps Scryfa and its editor Simon Parker can help.
Jim50
Bookworm

Post by Jim50 »

Just a note to record that a copy of the very rare Into The Fog is presently being offered for sale on ABE.

Jim
6 Sept 2004
Sarah
Scribe

Re: Short Story

Post by Sarah »

The missing short story is called Meeting Demelza and is an account of the author's meeting with his heroine near Nampara in which she asks him about how he came to create her.
Galaxy
Bookworm

My missing page!

Post by Galaxy »

Hi there,

I have a very ancient copy of The Walking Stick. Unfortunately the first page is torn in half! Does anyone have a typed up version of page 1 and 2? It starts "The man has been..." and it ends "The minister of Health...".

Please could someone help! :cry:

Thanks in advance.

Galaxy
kernow
Bookworm

Missing page

Post by kernow »

Hi Galaxy

Have the missing text and just sent you a pm as it'll be a whole lot quicker to scan and e-mail it as an attachment. If you want ? :)
Jim50
Bookworm

Re: Winston Graham's bibliography

Post by Jim50 »

Corrected / updated info (2013)

NOVELS

01. The House with the Stained Glass Windows - 1934
02. Into the Fog - 1935
03. The Riddle of John Rowe - 1935
04. Without Motive - 1936
05. The Dangerous Pawn - 1937
06. The Giant's Chair - 1938
07. Keys of Chance - 1939
08. Strangers Meeting - 1939
09. No Exit - 1940
10. Night Journey - 1941
11. My Turn Next - 1942
13. The Forgotten Story - 1945
14. Ross Poldark - (1783-1787) - 1945
15. Demelza - (1788-1790) - 1946
16. Take My Life - 1947
17. Cordelia - 1949
19. Jeremy Poldark - (1790-1791) - 1950
21. Warleggan - (1792-1793) - 1953
22. The Little Walls - 1955
24. Greek Fire - 1957
26. Marnie - 1961
27. After the Act - 1965
28. Night Journey (revised) - 1966
29. The Walking Stick - 1967
30. Angell, Pearl and Little God - 1970
31. The Grove of Eagles - 1970
32. The Black Moon - (1794-1795) - 1973
33. Woman in the Mirror - 1975
34. The Four Swans - (1795-1797) - 1976
35. The Angry Tide - (1789-1799) - 1977
36. The Merciless Ladies (revised) - 1979
37. Stranger From The Sea - (1810-1811) - 1981
38. The Millers Dance - (1812-1813) - 1982
39. The Loving Cup - (1813-1815) - 1984
40. The Green Flash - 1986
41. Cameo - 1988
42. The Twisted Sword - (1815) - 1991
43. Stephanie - 1992
44. Tremor - 1996
45. The Ugly Sister - 1998
46. Bella - (1818-1820) - 2003

The Giant's Chair (1938) and My Turn Next (1942) were subsequently revised and republished under different titles: Woman In The Mirror (1975) and Cameo (1988) respectively. Night Journey (1941) and The Merciless Ladies (1944) were revised and republished under their original titles in 1966 and 1979 respectively.

SHORT STORIES

1. The Japanese Girl
2. The Medici Ear-ring
3. Cotty's Cove
4. The Island
5. Gibb
6. At The Chalet Lartrec
7. Vive Le Roi
8. The Cornish Farm
9. The Wigwam
10. The Old Boys
12. The Basket Chair
13. Jacka's Fight
15. The Circus
17. The Horse Dealer
18. Meeting Demelza
19. Eclipse

1-14: published together under the title of The Japanese Girl (1971). Some or all of them have apparently been republished under the title of The Cornish Farm and individual stories have also appeared in various mixed-author anthologies.

15: Winter's Crimes Volume 6 (1974) is a collection of original stories, all by different authors, which includes a contribution from WG called The Circus.

16: Winter's Crimes Volume 19 (1987) is another collection of original stories by different authors; WG's contribution this time is called Nothing In The Library.

17: serialised in the Western Morning News, April / May 2002

18: published in Scryfa, Volume 1

19: published in the Sunday Express Magazine, 8 August 1999

2. Jeremy Poldark aka Venture Once More (USA - 1950)
3. Warleggan aka The Last Gamble (USA - 1953)
4. The Little Walls aka Bridge To Vengeance (USA - 1955)
5. The Forgotten Story aka The Wreck of the Grey Cat (USA - 1958)
6. The Walking Stick aka Deborah (Germany, Italy etc - 1968)
8. The Japanese Girl republished, with revised contents, as The Cornish Farm (worldwide - 1971)
9. Cordelia aka Jennifer (Germany - 1975)

and many others in translation.

NON-FICTION

1. The Spanish Armadas - 1972
3. Memoirs of a Private Man (WG's autobiography) - 2003

WG FOREWORD / INTRODUCTION

1. The Poldark Cookery Book by Jean M. Graham (wife) - 1981
2. Schoonerman by Richard England - 1981
3. Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly by Paul Pettit - 1987
4. The Spirit of England by Simon McBride - 1995
Last edited by Jim50 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jim50
Bookworm

Re: Winston Graham's bibliography

Post by Jim50 »

Find a fairly comprehensive annotated Winston Graham bibliography here:

Return to “Winston Graham”