Barry N. Malzberg - Underlay - 8

Here you can post book reviews for the IBDoF. Share your thoughts with the world and tell us what you think of the latest book you've read.

[NOTE: to create a properly linked book review thread here in TCC, please click on the "Review this Book" link from the applicable detailed book view in the IBDoF database - it will automatically generate a linked review here.

Moderators: clong, Mr. Titanic

clong
Blade Runner

Barry N. Malzberg - Underlay - 8

Post by clong »

Underlay

It’s not particularly easy to make sense of this often funny, occasionally probing, and at times uncomfortable book. An alienated failure of a man tries and fails to make sense of the odds and the various hidden moving parts of the nefarious world around him.

Our protagonist is a small time horse bettor, in hock to the mob, who has been given a rather daunting and ridiculous task to complete by the end of the horse racing day—failure will mean detonation of the small bomb the Mob has surgically implanted in his thigh.

This reminds me a bit of mash-up of Ballard, one of my favorites, and the Marx Brothers. I will definitely seek out more by this author.

Have you read this book? Click here to rate it!
Omphalos
Orthodox Herbertarian

Re: Barry N. Malzberg - Underlay - 8

Post by Omphalos »

Love Malzberg. They guy is unique. Depressing as hell sometimes. His book on genre writing is brilliant (Breakfast in the Ruins).

Return to “The Critic's Corner”