Page 141 of 166

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:53 am
by voralfred
voralfred wrote:A longer quote
A certain thick and well-secured portfolio was taken under the personal supervision of XXX YYY. Persons short and tall were loaded, unloaded, rearranged, and loaded again.

Book ?
What character is " XXX YYY" ?
any unambiguous designation is OK here but see bonus #2




Bonus #1 : though it is not explictly said in the text just around this quote, it is rather evident from an earlier passage in the book what is in this porfolio. So what is it ?

Bonus #2 :
In another book, we learn that the character XXX YYY was called using several nicknames (variants of given name rather than descriptive nicknames, really)
So to get the bonus you need
-full standard given name
-at least two variants mentioned in the other book, in the context of XXX YYY fighting in favor or disfavor of one variant compared to another


This quote is already more than 5 days old. A hint or a longer quote does not reinitialize the "no ping-pong" period. So any player can answer the main question now.
Hints :
1) it is in the Vorkosigan Saga
2) XXX YYY only exists in the last four books

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am
by voralfred
While I am at it, a slightly stronger hint
voralfred wrote:A longer quote
A certain thick and well-secured portfolio was taken under the personal supervision of XXX YYY. Persons short and tall were loaded, unloaded, rearranged, and loaded again.

Book ?
What character is " XXX YYY" ?
any unambiguous designation is OK here but see bonus #2




Bonus #1 : though it is not explictly said in the text just around this quote, it is rather evident from an earlier passage in the book what is in this porfolio. So what is it ?

Bonus #2 :
In another book, we learn that the character XXX YYY was called using several nicknames (variants of given name rather than descriptive nicknames, really)
So to get the bonus you need
-full standard given name
-at least two variants mentioned in the other book, in the context of XXX YYY fighting in favor or disfavor of one variant compared to another


This quote is already more than 5 days old. A hint or a longer quote does not reinitialize the "no ping-pong" period. So any player can answer the main question now.
Hints :
1) it is in the Vorkosigan Saga
2) XXX YYY only exists in the last four books
3) XXX YYY is seen "in the flesh" in three of them, and in one of them (I'm not telling you which, not in the book of the quote, obviously) only as scans on a holocube

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am
by voralfred
voralfred wrote:While I am at it, a slightly stronger hint
voralfred wrote:A longer quote
A certain thick and well-secured portfolio was taken under the personal supervision of XXX YYY. Persons short and tall were loaded, unloaded, rearranged, and loaded again.

Book ?
What character is " XXX YYY" ?
any unambiguous designation is OK here but see bonus #2




Bonus #1 : though it is not explictly said in the text just around this quote, it is rather evident from an earlier passage in the book what is in this porfolio. So what is it ?

Bonus #2 :
In another book, we learn that the character XXX YYY was called using several nicknames (variants of given name rather than descriptive nicknames, really)
So to get the bonus you need
-full standard given name
-at least two variants mentioned in the other book, in the context of XXX YYY fighting in favor or disfavor of one variant compared to another


This quote is already more than 5 days old. A hint or a longer quote does not reinitialize the "no ping-pong" period. So any player can answer the main question now.
Hints :
1) it is in the Vorkosigan Saga
2) XXX YYY only exists in the last four books
3) XXX YYY is seen "in the flesh" in three of them, and in one of them (I'm not telling you which, not in the book of the quote, obviously) only as scans on a holocube

Oh, come on !
Counting from the end, you can easily deduce in which book XXX YYY is born !
That should be about almost as strong a hint as giving you his name.
And there is a further hint in this hint.....

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:46 am
by Reede Kullervo
Aral Alexander Vorkosigan, Sasha, Alex :-)).
Genteman Jole and Red Queen :-)).

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:10 am
by voralfred
You are correct for the main question and the second bonus.

You get the next quote and 1 and 1/2 points

First bonus still for grabs....

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:37 pm
by Reede Kullervo
Right or wrong, what I also saw was that you made an enemy, and left him alive behind you. Great charity. Bad tactics.
Book?
Who said that?
To whom?

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:02 pm
by JKCade
"Right or wrong, what I also saw was that you made an enemy, and left him alive behind you. Great charity. Bad tactics.


Book? The Curse of Chalion
Who said that? Cazaril
To whom? Iselle

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:50 pm
by Reede Kullervo
Yes :-)).
JK, your turn :-)).
I'll add your Sherlock tomorrow :-)).

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:41 pm
by JKCade
"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts."


Book?
Speaker?
Who are they speaking to?
What are they speaking about?

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:00 pm
by JKCade
"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts. My great-great-great-grandfather"--[they] paused to check the generations on [their] fingers, and nodded...


Book?
Speaker?
Who are they speaking to?
What are they speaking about?

I have deliberately left out the sex of the speaker, if any.

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:19 pm
by JKCade
"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts. My great-great-great-grandfather"--[they] paused to check the generations on [their] fingers, and nodded--"came north to the river ridge from [a place] with his brother almost two hundred years ago to clear land."


Book?
Speaker?
Who are they speaking to?
What are they speaking about?
Where/what is [a place]?

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 pm
by voralfred
JKCade wrote:"Sure I do. It's written down in the family book that goes with the farm accounts. My great-great-great-grandfather"--[they] paused to check the generations on [their] fingers, and nodded--"came north to the river ridge from [a place] with his brother almost two hundred years ago to clear land."

Just guessing

Book? Definitely in TSK; probably TSK1 Beguilement, just possibly TSK2 Legacy; I put bets it is not in any of the two later ones
Speaker? Fawn
Who are they speaking to? Dag (possibly among others?)
What are they speaking about? Bluefield family story
Where/what is [a place]? Wherever the Bluefield family lived before moving north....


It really is a hard one, and I my bookshelves are in such a disarray I cannot get hold of my TSK books...
"they" is a bit misleading : I believe there is only one speaker, since you write "speaker" rather than "speakers" and though it is easy to have many listeners, several speakers speaking in a single voice is pretty hard (though not altogether impossible) to achieve.
When I want to leave the gender undisclosed, I use he/she/it (to allow for a Herm or a Ba in Vorkosiverse - even if the quote is not in the Vorkosiverse)

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 pm
by JKCade
You are correct!

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:03 pm
by voralfred
New quote :
God, I'm in love, thought Miles. Brother Miles wants YOU for the Reformation Army...
Book ?
YOU ?

Hint: it is not as easy I you think....

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:05 am
by voralfred
A longer quote :
God, I'm in love, thought Miles. Brother Miles wants YOU for the Reformation Army... then got hold of his thoughts. Here, now, was the make-or-break point for his scheme, bla bla bla
Book ?
YOU ?
What is Miles' scheme ?

Hint: it is not as easy I you think....

the "..." after "Army"are really part of the text.
I'm stopping the quote in the middle of a sentence, which I would normally indicate as "..." but here I write "bla bla bla" to avoid confusion

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:50 am
by voralfred
An even longer quote :
God, I'm in love, thought Miles. Brother Miles wants YOU for the Reformation Army... then got hold of his thoughts. Here, now, was the make-or-break point for his scheme, and all the persiflage, verbal misdirection, charm, chutzpah, and bullshit he could muster weren't going to be enough, not even tied up with a big blue bow.
The wounded want power, nothing else; they think it will keep them from being hurt again. This one will not be interested in XXX's strange message—at least, not yet. ... Miles took a deep breath.
Book ?
YOU ?
What is Miles' scheme ?
XXX ?

If you answer by memory, you don't have to give XXX's name, nor YOU's name, just explain in a few words who these characters are.



Hint: it is not as easy I you think : YOU is not Ekaterin.

the "..." after "Army"are really part of the text, and also those after "not yet", I'm not skipping any word.
I'm now going to the end of the second paragraph, too.

Bonus: for 1/2 point, give XXX's name and the real author of "XXX's strange message" and the book it comes from.

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:42 pm
by Ghost
Borders of Infinity, Tris, rebuild the whole fricking army.

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:45 pm
by voralfred
Wow ! A Ghost apparition !

Correct, the next quote and one sherlock (bonus still pending)

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:33 pm
by Ghost
“Isn’t one’s commanding officer, even a XXX one, too important to mislay?”

Speaker
XXX
and book

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:40 am
by voralfred
A lil' hint, maybe ?

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:11 am
by E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Ghost wrote:“Isn’t one’s commanding officer, even a XXX one, too important to mislay?”
Speaker
XXX
and book
A lil' gamble:
Speaker Duv Galeni
XXX Dendarii
and book Brothers in Arms

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:51 pm
by Ghost
Sorry wrong answer.

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:29 pm
by voralfred
Still, a lil' hint might help...

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:02 am
by voralfred
Ghost wrote:“Isn’t one’s commanding officer, even a XXX one, too important to mislay?”

Speaker
XXX
and book
How could I have forgotten !
Very first time I met Aral ! Also, incidentally, Aral's first meeting with Cordelia...

She is speaking
XXX=Barrayaran
in Shards of Honor

Re: LMB Quote Game

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:59 am
by voralfred
Ghost ? yoo-hoo ?