LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Caroline Tredez »

Wrong on all counts :) which gives you at least a negative hint.
orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

Oh this one's easy! It's in Shards of Honor, which I've probably listened to at least a dozen times by now.

"I" is Cordelia, "he" is Aral, and the favor is a marker on Rosemont's grave. Poor Aral, so eager to do SOMETHING for Cordelia even though she won't marry him...yet...
Caroline Tredez
Fireman

Post by Caroline Tredez »

That was fast :P the floor is yours, orchestrali.
orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

Argh, now I have to provide a quote! Okay, this one might be another easy one...?
There had also been moments when she'd wanted to whack him with a brick.
Who are "she" and "him"?
Book?

Bonus: give the other instance in this series (I believe there's only one) of a character talking about whacking people with bricks—which character and which book?

Now, what do I do if someone gives the answer to the bonus, but proposes it as an answer to the main quote?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

orchestrali wrote: (...)

Now, what do I do if someone gives the answer to the bonus, but proposes it as an answer to the main quote?
Well, there does not seem to be a big problem: give the poster the 1/2 point bonus while insisting that only the answer to main quote will allow to ask the next one.
More embarrassing would be if someone claims not to know the answer to the main quote but still gives it as the answer to the bonus.... I suppose the penalty for posting without checking would be to give the poster the right to the next quote but only 1/2 point, and then 1/2 point for whoever posts the bonus, and there will only be a total of 1 point instead of 1 and 1/2.

So in order to avoid the second conundrum (I believe that what I have in mind is only the bonus, but it might just be the main quote) I won't propose it before checking !
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

So I almost fell into my own pitfall !
I was initially convinced that the much too obvious answer : he=Miles, she=Ekaterin, book=_CC_, could only be the bonus.
But no, I did check, and found that it is indeed the answer to the main question !
I first thought that the main question, then the bonus, was "Mark, Kareen, _CC_" but I could not find it...

orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

I wondered what was taking you so long, voralfred! I thought it was a very obvious quotation myself, but this game has been moving a little slowly so I didn't mind.

So you've got the Sherlock and the next quote, but not the bonus. Note that for the bonus, you only have to give the character who talks about whacking and the book, not the character(s) who are supposed to BE whacked.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

orchestrali wrote:...
So you've got the Sherlock and the next quote, but not the bonus. Note that for the bonus, you only have to give the character who talks about whacking and the book, not the character(s) who are supposed to BE whacked.
I think it's Martya in Mirror Dance. She has the kind of character to come up with such a concept.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, I had to actually find where it was to tell between the quote or the bonus.

Next quote
"Damn it," he mumbled apologetically, "things like this never happened to XXX yyy ZZZ."
Book?
"he" ?
XXX yyy ZZZ ? (a single person with a long name)
what is "this" ?

Bonus: where else are more things like "this" mentioned?
1/2 :sherlock: for each logically independent case (that is, if "this" is mentioned somewhere else in the same book in direct connection with this occurrence, it does not count, but if "he" remembers this "this" in a later book, it counts)
I know of one place where this "this" and some other "this" related to other characters, are mentioned. I suspect there might be more than just that mention, maybe concerning other people's "this".

There is no time limit for bonuszs.

So there is one and probably more "this" bonus, orchestrali "whack" bonus and at least four "GalacTech" bonuses. The equivalent of 3 full :sherlock"s worth..

orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

EPS, you've got half of my whacking bonus! I won't say which half—keep guessing!
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Longer quote
"Damn it," he mumbled apologetically, "things like this never happened to XXX yyy ZZZ."
She raised a thoughtful eyebrow. "How do you know? The histories of those times were all written by minstrels and poets. You try and think of a word that rhymes with 'aaa bbb'."
Book?
"he" (same as "You") ?
"She" ?
what is the noun 'bbb' (you may ignore the qualifier aaa) ?

Bonus: where else is the noun 'bbb' mentioned ?
1/2 :sherlock: for each logically independent case (that is, 'bbb' is mentioned somewhere else in the same book in direct connection with this occurrence, but that does not count, but if "he" remembers this 'bbb' in a later book, it counts)
I know of one place where 'bbbs' related both to "he" and to other characters are mentioned in one breath, and more places about 'bbbs' sometimes related to "he", sometimes to another character.

There is no time limit for bonuses.

So there at least four 'bbb' bonuses, orchestrali "whack" bonus and at least four "GalacTech" bonuses. More than the equivalent of 4 full :sherlock: s worth..

orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

Oh! I know where that is! I'll have to check the details when I get home. It's been five days, so I can answer, can't I? I'm pretty sure I remember the exact sentence of one of the 'bbb' bonuses, but I don't know which book it's in. There are so many of them; I can't always keep track!
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote:...at least four "GalacTech" bonuses...
voralfred's been really excited to talk about this one.

I admit that I used a little bit of Control+F magic to find the answer a couple weeks ago, so if you feel that I don't deserve the :sherlock: s I'm perfectly OK with that.

That being said, here are all the references I can think of:

1. Obviously, Falling Free is full of them.

2. Labyrinth -- I don't know if GalacTech is specifically mentioned, but their "product" (as it were), aka Nicol, is first introduced here.

3. Brothers in Arms -- the live fur that Miles purchases for Eli is a GalacTech creation

4. Brothers in Arms -- one of the Dendarii soldiers (whose name escapes me) was cryorevived on Earth and took some leave there. He tells Miles that he visited a Unicorn Park (I think?) that is owned by GalacTech.

5. Winterfair Gifts -- the live fur is returned to Miles as a wedding gift from Eli

6. Diplomatic Immunity -- clearly all the quaddies are results of GalacTech. Also, during a discussion with Garnet 5 (and Nicol? I forget.) on naming conventions of quaddies, GalacTech is mentioned by name.
Three cheers for literacy . . . I feel sick.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

sarsaparilla wrote:
voralfred wrote:...at least four "GalacTech" bonuses...
voralfred's been really excited to talk about this one.

I admit that I used a little bit of Control+F magic to find the answer a couple weeks ago, so if you feel that I don't deserve the :sherlock: s I'm perfectly OK with that.

That being said, here are all the references I can think of:

1. Obviously, Falling Free is full of them.

2. Labyrinth -- I don't know if GalacTech is specifically mentioned, but their "product" (as it were), aka Nicol, is first introduced here.

3. Brothers in Arms -- the live fur that Miles purchases for Eli is a GalacTech creation

4. Brothers in Arms -- one of the Dendarii soldiers (whose name escapes me) was cryorevived on Earth and took some leave there. He tells Miles that he visited a Unicorn Park (I think?) that is owned by GalacTech.

5. Winterfair Gifts -- the live fur is returned to Miles as a wedding gift from Eli

6. Diplomatic Immunity -- clearly all the quaddies are results of GalacTech. Also, during a discussion with Garnet 5 (and Nicol? I forget.) on naming conventions of quaddies, GalacTech is mentioned by name.
Well, these are all correct but

1) YES, but you already got this bonus long ago !
2) Galactech is not mentioned, but I wonder is this was not what I had meant as one of the "secondary bonus", and then wondered whether it should count or not ?
3) YES
4) YES, the latter two occurences, though in the same book, being logically independant since GalacTech is certainly not the only company doing this kind of genetic stuff on Earth
5) this is indeed the "secondary bonus" I remember meaning when I originally posted, since it is directly related to 3)
6) I really meant the discussion about Quaddies naming conventions, where Galactech is mentioned by name, NOT the general presence of the Quaddies

But you said you used Control-F so what to do ?
If you don't remember if it was Garnet Five (it was !) or Nicol (she was onstage at that time, while Garnet Five, injures, was attending the performance with the downsiders) it means you did not Control-F that one, nor number 5. Number 2) I now decide does not count, number 1) you already got.

I'll give you 2 bonuses for 5) and 6) which I'll regularize when I give the "bbb" sherlock.
Yes, five days have gone by, you can answer that one (plus as many bonuses as you can guess without Control-F...
Last edited by voralfred on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote: If you don't remember if it was Garnet Five (it was !) or Nicol (she was onstage at that time, while Garnet Five, injures, was attending the performance with the downsiders) it means you did not Control-F that one,
Well like I said, it was several weeks ago when I looked it up. So I chose the book on purpose, but I DID use ctrl+F to find the name "GalacTech" in DI.
voralfred wrote: nor number 5.
That's correct, I definitely did not use ctrl+F for that one.

So I really only deserve 1 of those bonuses. :P
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

She raised a thoughtful eyebrow. "How do you know? The histories of those times were all written by minstrels and poets. You try and think of a word that rhymes with 'aaa bbb'."
Book?
"he" (same as "You") ?
"She" ?
what is the noun 'bbb' (you may ignore the qualifier aaa) ?

Bonus: where else is the noun 'bbb' mentioned ?
1/2 :sherlock: for each logically independent case (that is, 'bbb' is mentioned somewhere else in the same book in direct connection with this occurrence, but that does not count, but if "he" remembers this 'bbb' in a later book, it counts)
I know of one place where 'bbbs' related both to "he" and to other characters are mentioned in one breath, and more places about 'bbbs' sometimes related to "he", sometimes to another character.

There is no time limit for bonuses.
sarsaparilla wrote: So I really only deserve 1 of those bonuses. :P
OK, so just one GalacTech bonus.
If and when you answer the main question above, give as many "bbb" bonuses as you can without Control-F ! Your 5 days no-ping-pong are long past !

Except for the no-ping-pong part, the above applies to all players ,of course !

orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

Okay I finally remembered to look in my book. It's in THE WARRIOR'S APPRENTICE, Miles speaks first, then Elena. XXX yyy ZZZ is Vorthalia the Bold. "Aaa bbb" is "bleeding ulcer."

It was that last sentence that tipped me off—I remember laughing at it the last time I read WA.

Aha! Just found one of the bonuses too. I remembered Miles saying, "Bleeding ulcers run in my family, we give them to each other." But I had no clue which book it was in. It's in "The Mountains of Mourning," when Miles is sort-of explaining his grandfather while they wait for Harra's mother to come.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Correct ! Next quote is yours.

You get this full :sherlock: plus one "ulcer" bonus, and I have to regularize one "GalacTech" bonus.

The latter line is now dead, but there are at least two more "ulcer" bonuses to be won. I finally did find your "brick" bonus, but I would not have done so without EPS's almost correct guess, so I'm waiting for him to correct it and collect...

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

orchestrali wrote:EPS, you've got half of my whacking bonus! I won't say which half—keep guessing!
Martya in Memory?
orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

EPS - Yup! Martya and Miles are talking about Delia and Duv in Memory. That's half a :sherlock: after I finish this post.

Here's the next quote:
"I was so afraid for you, I forgot to be afraid for your enemies."
Book?
Who is speaking?
Who is listening?
What caused the speaker's fear?

Hmmm, I am bad at coming up with bonuses and we've already got a few running, so that's it!
orchestrali
Apprentice Scribe

Post by orchestrali »

Voralfred, I think you gave me a bonus point that was supposed to be for sarsaparilla. I didn't give any GalacTech bonuses, just the ulcer one!
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

orchestrali wrote:Voralfred, I think you gave me a bonus point that was supposed to be for sarsaparilla. I didn't give any GalacTech bonuses, just the ulcer one!
Ooo, nice catch. Thanks, orchestrali!
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I really got mixed up !!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

After all this, I'm afraid the next quote is buried too far down. Here it is again:
orchestrali wrote:
Book?
Who is speaking?
Who is listening?

Hmmm, I am bad at coming up with bonuses and we've already got a few running, so that's it!

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A question was raised some time ago :
orchestrali wrote:Hmmm, I think there's a throwaway line in Barrayar or maybe Warrior's Apprentice where it says that all of Barrayar's languages were written in Cyrillic in the time of isolation. Whether that's true or not, I wouldn't be surprised if whatever alphabet(s) they *are* using have gotten altered slightly as a result of being cut off from the rest of the universe and so much technology. I think Lois has said that when the firsters arrived on Barrayar they spoke many more languages than just those four, but most of them got wiped out. And she's usually careful to say "Barrayaran Russian" or "Barrayaran Greek," indicating that the languages aren't the same as what we know now. Maybe they use some alphabet that's mainly Cyrillic but also has a few Latin and/or Greek letters incorporated.

Anyway, Caroline's guess is indeed incorrect, although I am glad to see I successfully misled you! SPetty, don't you only have to wait five days before you can answer? Or are you trying to be nice? :) You seem disappointed to have figured it out!
I finally got an answer about Barrayar's alphabets:
LMB wrote: I expect all 3 alphabets, Cyrillic, Roman, and Greek, are floating around on Barrayar right through the ToI, and would be used variously depending on the Districts. Imperial government, and hence the military, probably standardized to whatever bastard Cyrillic they have around the time of Dorca's Unification.
Note the "whatever bastard Cyrillic". Adding one special letter to the cyrillic alphabet for the sound "w" would not be impossible. Already one should realize that the cyrillic used in Russia, Ukraint and Serbia are not identical. However many letters for sounds close to "ee" exist in russian cyrillic, there are even more in ukrainian and serb cyrillic alphabets !

Back to the game :
orchestrali wrote:
Book?
Who is speaking?
Who is listening?

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote: ...
Note the "whatever bastard Cyrillic". Adding one special letter to the cyrillic alphabet for the sound "w" would not be impossible. Already one should realize that the cyrillic used in Russia, Ukraint and Serbia are not identical. However many letters for sounds close to "ee" exist in russian cyrillic, there are even more in ukrainian and serb cyrillic alphabets !
EEK!

(transcribed from Ukrainian cyrillic script with Serb punctuation)

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”