LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by SPetty »

Next quote:
"...It's"-his tone went reluctantly admiring-" extremely elegant. In a hideous sort of way."
Book?
Who is speaking?
what is elegant?
Waiting patiently for the next Lois McMaster Bujold book.
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

Next quote:
"...It's"-his tone went reluctantly admiring-" extremely elegant. In a hideous sort of way."
Book?
Who is speaking?
what is elegant?

A hint, then: This character only appears in this book, but is speaking to the main character, who is in numerous books.
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

Next quote:
Book?
Who is speaking?
what is elegant?

A hint, then: This character only appears in this book, but is speaking to the main character, who is in numerous books.
The hideously elegant item in question was stolen from an old enemy of both characters in this conversation by someone within the enemy's society, though not someone who would ordinarily have access to it. Its former owner is dead.

I'll be away for a bit starting soon, so if someone could guess the quote in the next day or two, that would be helpful.
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

Next quote:
"Did- did my xxx-xxxxx xxxx treatment help Yyy, then?"
Book?
Who are the two characters speaking?
what is xxx-xxxxx xxxx (one x for every letter in the words)?
Who is Yyy (not one y for every letter in the name)?
what is elegant?

I'll be away for a bit starting soon, so if someone could guess the quote in the next day or two, that would be helpful.
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

SPetty wrote:Next quote:
"Did- did my xxx-xxxxx xxxx treatment help Yyy, then?"
Book?
Who are the two characters speaking?
what is xxx-xxxxx xxxx (one x for every letter in the words)?
Who is Yyy (not one y for every letter in the name)?
what is elegant?
Book is Diplomatic Immunity
Characters are Captain Clogston(? I think that's his name), the chief medical officer from the Prince Xav, and Miles.
xxx-xxxxx xxxx is ice water bath
Yyy is Bel -- Although Miles probably said Portmaster Thorne
The elegant thing is the stolen Cetagandan bioagent that the ba known as Dubauer has been infecting people with.
Three cheers for literacy . . . I feel sick.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

sarsaparilla wrote: Book is Diplomatic Immunity
Characters are Captain Clogston(? I think that's his name), the chief medical officer from the Prince Xav, and Miles.
xxx-xxxxx xxxx is ice water bath
Yyy is Bel -- Although Miles probably said Portmaster Thorne
The elegant thing is the stolen Cetagandan bioagent that the ba known as Dubauer has been infecting people with.
Yay!
That sounds right to me. :clap:

I'm glad you have this solved. I hadn't the faintest idea where to go look for it.

But ... a humble request: make the next one not so tough, will you?
Less thorny, so to speak. Pretty please?

BTW. I hope Spetty stays away for a good long Bahamic vacation. :twisted:
(Just kidding, mostly.)
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

Ok well to be honest my judgment is probably suspect, in terms of ease of quote -- I actually had the last one figured out a couple weeks ago. :oops:

But here's my best shot at an easy quote:
XXX went on, “This whole chain of events is too complex and interlocking to adjust much, but on the whole I’d prefer to be less prominent in it..."
Book?
Who is XXX?
What chain of events?

Bonus:
For 1/2 sherlock, can you find the "yin" to this "yang", as it were? There's another quote that expresses, more or less, the opposite sentiment. When/why does the same character feel so differently?

I imagine there are actually several, so the bonus will go to the first person to post a direct quote. Unless, of course, reading my mind is more difficult than I think and someone finds a quote that meets the criteria while not being exactly what I'm thinking about. :?
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

That was correct, sarsaparilla, so I'll post your Sherlock.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

sarsaparilla wrote:
XXX went on, “This whole chain of events is too complex and interlocking to adjust much, but on the whole I’d prefer to be less prominent in it..."
Book?
Who is XXX?
What chain of events?
Bonus:
For 1/2 sherlock, can you find the "yin" to this "yang", as it were? There's another quote that expresses, more or less, the opposite sentiment. When/why does the same character feel so differently?
I imagine there are actually several, so the bonus will go to the first person to post a direct quote. Unless, of course, reading my mind is more difficult than I think and someone finds a quote that meets the criteria while not being exactly what I'm thinking about. :?
This makes me think of Cetaganda, where Miles makes the quoted remark to the Cetagandan Emperor Fletchir Giaja about Miles recovering the Great Key. And then
I haven't thought of a fitting "yin" yet.

Oh, wait a minute, how about when Miles gets to be Imperial Auditor (in Memory), with an Auditor's chain and seal to rattle (at) all and sundry?
... Gregor: "I thought you'd like it."
... Miles: "Like it? It'll be downright orgasmic."

Is that yinnish enough?
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

That's not where the quote comes from, although your psychological analysis does put you in the general vicinity of what I'm talking about.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: I haven't thought of a fitting "yin" yet.

Oh, wait a minute, how about when Miles gets to be Imperial Auditor (in Memory), with an Auditor's chain and seal to rattle (at) all and sundry?
... Gregor: "I thought you'd like it."
... Miles: "Like it? It'll be downright orgasmic."

Is that yinnish enough?
As I recall, Miles is actually talking about circumventing the chain of command here. I think he compares it to spending years trying to dance with an elephant, while being an Imperial Auditor is the chance to tap dance on top of it. Another of Miles' eternal preoccupations, but not the one I'm thinking of. :)
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

SPetty wrote:That was correct, sarsaparilla, so I'll post your Sherlock.
It was jumping the gun to post a new quote before you'd confirmed I was right, huh? Sorry about that. :oops:
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

sarsaparilla wrote:(...)
Book?
Who is XXX?
What chain of events?

Bonus:

Book: Cryoburn
XXX: Miles, who else?
The chain of events: well, essentially the entire NewEgypt part of the plot of the book, with Lisa Sato, Leiber, etc. , in which Miles wants to minimize his involvment and let Raven appear as Mark's agent in the story, lest it interfere with the WhiteChrys part of the plot.

I'd call that "yin", personally.
Now the corresponding "yang" would be a place where Miles wants his role to appear bigger than it really was. For instance, appear as the actual head of the Dendarii, when Tung did the real work. But I can't see an actual quote expressing this idea.

I am at a loss. Am I supposed to propose a quote at least vaguely related to this idea, or may I renounce the bonus and propose any quote?
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote:
Book: Cryoburn
XXX: Miles, who else?
The chain of events: well, essentially the entire NewEgypt part of the plot of the book, with Lisa Sato, Leiber, etc. , in which Miles wants to minimize his involvment and let Raven appear as Mark's agent in the story, lest it interfere with the WhiteChrys part of the plot.
This is correct!
voralfred wrote: I'd call that "yin", personally.
Now the corresponding "yang" would be a place where Miles wants his role to appear bigger than it really was. For instance, appear as the actual head of the Dendarii, when Tung did the real work. But I can't see an actual quote expressing this idea.

I was thinking more along the lines of times when Miles resents the fact that his involvement in a situation appears smaller than it is, in contrast to here, where he prefers it that way. Earlier in the series, Miles loves to be the hero, but also wants to be seen being the hero. In his old age (and in this particular situation), he's learned to value the very discretion he once resented.

That being said, I'm still too lazy to actually go find a quote about it, so the bonus 1/2 sherlock is still up for grabs for anyone willing to find one for me. :twisted:
voralfred wrote: I am at a loss. Am I supposed to propose a quote at least vaguely related to this idea, or may I renounce the bonus and propose any quote?
It's your turn! Choose any quote you like. :)
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

I think I found one ! And indeed if this is how you look at things, this is the yin of your yang. Not wanting his role to appear bigger, but resenting it appears smaller.
Hi, I'm a hero, but I can't tell you why. It's classified.
The italics mean that this is a thought.
The character is obvious considering the previous discussion so:
- Book ?
- Who was talking to Miles and thus caused him to think that thought ?
- In what chain of events is his involvement classified in this particular thought ?
(One can suppose he mentally includes other occasions, in addition, but I am asking the one which is mentioned by the other character)

Speaking of bonuses, there are several bonuses to be grabbed: now that it has been revealed that the "stuff" is the mycoborer, when did the legitimate owner of the "stuff" appear in the Saga? One 1/2 point for each "logically distinct" instance, which means that in one book where the name appears many times, it counts for only one, but one book provides two instances, and there is one more book, at least to my knowledge, but there might be some I forgot. You have to provide a minimal context for each instance, to avoid random quoting.

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote:
Hi, I'm a hero, but I can't tell you why. It's classified.
That's perfect, voralfred! Exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. The 1/2 sherlock is yours.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

sarsaparilla wrote:(....) The 1/2 sherlock is yours.

Thanks.

And now that the stuff is known to be the mycoborer, no ideas about the bonuses? Did you check the ownership of the mycoborer?

Did anyone check the ownership of the mycoborer??

SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

Yes, but I didn't do research into where else they appeared. My guess would be something to do with the shuttle repairs in Brothers in Arms, or another Dendarii equipment requisition (possibly the one in Mirror Dance where they got ship upgrades). But I haven't actually looked into actual passages.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote ?
No one knew of the role XXX had played in YYY. And what no one knew, no one got credit for. Hi, I'm a hero, but I can't tell you why. It's classified.
The italics mean that this is a thought. The non-italics is also essentially Miles' thought, but formally it is the narrator talking, here.
XXX is Miles but I don't want to give the exact phrase used here at this point. Maybe later as a new hint. Anyway you need not give XXX in details, if you answer from memory.
- Book ?
- Who was talking to Miles and thus caused him to think that thought ? Again, if you don't remember the exact name of the character, any non ambiguous designation will do.
- In what chain of events is his involvement classified in this particular thought, namely, what is YYY ?
One can suppose he mentally includes other occasions, in addition, but what I really want is YYY, a rather long clause, not in so many words, just the general idea.

As for the mycoborer bonus, maybe finding the two logically different instances in the same book needs some effort (not Dendarii equipment repairs or upgrade) but how come noone found the other book with many references (that count for only 1/2 point because they are all logically related) ?

SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

voralfred wrote:

As for the mycoborer bonus, how come no one found the other book with many references (that count for only 1/2 point because they are all logically related) ?
It's not a book we re-read often? :D
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, how would I know which book is re-read more than another ? It certainly is a book I enjoy rereading. And the entity to which the mycoborer legally belongs is mentioned scores of times, all over this book.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A still longer quote ?
No one knew of the role ImpSec agent Miles Vorkosigan had played in YYY. And what no one knew, no one got credit for. Hi, I'm a hero, but I can't tell you why. It's classified. From ZZZ's and practically everybody else's point of view, Lieutenant Miles Vorkosigan was a low-ranking ImpSec courier officer, a nepotistic sinecure that shuffled him off into routine duties that took him out of the way. Mutant.
Italics mean a thought. The non-italics is also essentially Miles' thought, but formally it is the narrator talking, here (character point of view).

- Book ?
- Who is ZZZ, whose previous discussion with Miles caused the latter to think that thought ? If you don't remember the exact name of the character, any non ambiguous designation will do.
- In what chain of events is his involvement classified in this particular thought, namely, what is YYY ?
One can suppose he mentally includes other occasions, in addition, but what I really want is YYY, a rather long clause, not in so many words, just the general idea.

For those too lazy to check in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance the legitimate owner of the mycoborer is a company called GalacTech. Four (to my knowledge; there might be more) 1/2 bonus points are for grabs. You have to name a book and a minimal context. There is one book with many references that count for only 1/2 point because they are all logically related and the minimal context is "all over the book". One other book has two logically distinct references and a third book has only one. None deals with Dendarii equipment repairs or upgrade, but indeed that might well have been another logically independent reference, had the Dendarii gone to GalacTech to do the repairs, instead of going for the lowest bidder.
Ah, a fifth 1/2 bonus point : there are two books where GalacTech is not mentioned, but where some relationship with one (not twice the same !) of the above bonuses appear. To get this fifth 1/2 point you have to give both these books and indicate, for each one, the relationship with the appropriate preceding bonus.

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote: For those too lazy to check in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance...
Thanks. :oops:
voralfred wrote:There is one book with many references that count for only 1/2 point because they are all logically related and the minimal context is "all over the book".
Would this be Falling Free? Didn't GalacTech create quaddies?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

sarsaparilla wrote:
voralfred wrote:There is one book with many references that count for only 1/2 point because they are all logically related and the minimal context is "all over the book".
Would this be Falling Free? Didn't GalacTech create quaddies?
Yes ! This is the one book with many references that count for only one bonus, all the many many references to GalacTech in Falling Free are logically related, even those not connected to quaddies, like raw material extraction "downside", because Rodeo is GalacTech's private space and they have no competitors there. But there are places where GalacTech does have competitors, so if that company is named in relation to two different contexts, in either or both of which cases a competing company might have been mentioned (just like a different company did the repairs on a Dendarii shuttle, though that was certainly within GalacTech's competence) you can get two bonuses in one book.
Can't you find more instances ? Anyway, you won 1/2 point ! But this is just a bonus, you don't get the next quote. The main question is just two posts above, no need to repeat it yet.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A few hints ?
voralfred wrote:
No one knew of the role ImpSec agent Miles Vorkosigan had played in YYY. And what no one knew, no one got credit for. Hi, I'm a hero, but I can't tell you why. It's classified. From ZZZ's and practically everybody else's point of view, Lieutenant Miles Vorkosigan was a low-ranking ImpSec courier officer, a nepotistic sinecure that shuffled him off into routine duties that took him out of the way. Mutant.
Italics mean a thought. The non-italics is also essentially Miles' thought, but formally it is the narrator talking, here (character point of view).

- Book ?
- Who is ZZZ, whose previous discussion with Miles caused the latter to think that thought ? If you don't remember the exact name of the character, any non ambiguous designation will do.
(...)
- ZZZ appears in this book only
- the events YYY happen in the previous book (in Miles' timeline chronological order, not in publication order)
- in fact the last line
One can suppose he mentally includes other occasions, in addition, (...)
might be misleading.
No other mission of ImpSec agent Miles Vorkosigan is described between YYY and this quote.
But LMB has remarked on severe occasions (in postfaces to omnibus editions, in interviews posted on dendarii.com, in answers to fans, etc.), that there are more missions than those explicitly described, hence my, maybe misleading, comment above.

Which brings us to an open-ended bonus opportunity.
1/2 :sherlock: for any allusion to a mission that is never described.
You can only get a bonus for a mission that is just alluded to. I am explicitly excluding the rescue of Lord Vorvane wife, the preparation of which is described at the end of Brothers in arms and the aftermaths are told in the "glueing pages" of the collection Borders of Infinity, as well as the rescue of Lieutenant Vorberg, which happens before the events of Memory but is discussed in many places. To win a 1/2 point you have to find a discrete allusion to some event that could not have occurred unless on the occasion of some mission of ImpSec agent Miles Vorkosigan, but without any known details except that allusion itself.
At this time I can remember only one such case, but I am almost sure more such cases exist. Oh, yes, there is, in a sense, a second one for which one can get a bonus.

SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

I was pretty sure you were alluding to Falling Free. It's one of the books I only have on e-book, and I'm hesitant to crack open my Cryoburn disc. It appears my other copy of Falling Free has disappeared from my hard drive. I suspect I lost it in a hard drive crash a few years back. (I had already looked up GalacTech in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, but haven't had the opportunity to look for the other instances, and didn't want to guess Falling Free without verifying.)

As far as the quote, it's from Cetaganda.

Zzz is Ambassador Vorob'yev
Yyy is Hegen Hub (where Miles and the Dendarii kept the Cetagandans busy until the Prince Serg battleship could show up)

Another mission that was only alluded to was in A Civil Campaign, when Aral asked if Illyan had ever used the Dendarii for assassinations, and the only allusion was something to the effect of, there was this one mission, tricky, but we brought it off.

There's also the mission alluded to in Komarr, where Miles tells Ekaterin's son about the child informant he paid. I'm sure there are other missions he referred to, but I'm not coming up with them off the top of my head.
Last edited by SPetty on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”