LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by Ghost »

“You see chickens, too?” the man inquired cautiously.

Book, the man, and who he is talking to?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Ghost wrote:“You see chickens, too?” the man inquired cautiously.

Book, the man, and who he is talking to?

Book : Cryoburn
the man : Miles
and who he is talking to? Jin Sato

and yes, since the chickens are not hallucinations as Miles fears, but real chickens, Jin does sees them, too.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Correct, you're up! :clap:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

New quote :
"He's been quartered in my recycling center for two months. It could hardly be worse. What's the problem?"
"Quartering," said XXX. "Uh--not (...)
Book ?
Who is "He" ?
XXX ?

Bonus:
Who is speaking first ? (OK if you don't remember his name, just give his job description, and where he works)
What is the fundamental misunderstanding of the speaker ? What is XXX about to say, to lift this misunderstanding?
Last edited by voralfred on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Incodentally, though Ghost did answer enough to get my previous quote, there are still 2 half- :sherlock: s to be had

a) main quote
AAA leaned over to confide to BBB, “XXX was the first YYY to discover that underground species of ZZZ, you know. On our opening hike here.”
BBB looked suitably impressed; CCC (...)
In "Gentleman Jole...."
Ghost wrote:A shot in the dark –
AAA: Cordelia : check !
BBB: Oliver Jole
XXX: Arial Vorkasigan : check !
YYY: Barrayian : check !
ZZZ ????
one half- :sherlock: for BBB and ZZZ

b) Bonus : for another one half- :sherlock:
Who is CCC, also within hearing range ? What is CCC's reaction, described in the part I have cut off ?

None of these allows to present a new quote, but only the answer to the new quote above.

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

Ok, I went and found it. I knew the bonus and ZZZ, but I wasn't sure on BBB and wanted to confirm the others. So here it is:
voralfred wrote:Incodentally, though Ghost did answer enough to get my previous quote, there are still 2 half- :sherlock: s to be had

a) main quote
AAA leaned over to confide to BBB, “XXX was the first YYY to discover that underground species of ZZZ, you know. On our opening hike here.”
BBB looked suitably impressed; CCC (...)
In "Gentleman Jole...."
Ghost wrote:A shot in the dark –
AAA: Cordelia : check !
BBB: Oliver Jole
XXX: Arial Vorkasigan : check !
YYY: Barrayian : check !
ZZZ ????
one half- :sherlock: for BBB and ZZZ
BBB - Ekaterin
ZZZ - radial
voralfred wrote:b) Bonus : for another one half- :sherlock:
Who is CCC, also within hearing range ? What is CCC's reaction, described in the part I have cut off ?
CCC - Jole
Reaction - He already knew the story, so he tried not to laugh.
Three cheers for literacy . . . I feel sick.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote :
"I don't understand," said YYY. "Has he committed a crime?"
"Yes. A bloody serious one. ABCDEF," said XXX. "If he gets extradited home, the penalty's quartering. Technically."
"That doesn't sound so bad." YYY shrugged. "He's been quartered in my recycling center for two months. It could hardly be worse. What's the problem?"
ABCDEF is a several-word phrase. You don't need to develop it for the main question.

Book ?
Who is "He" (all three "he" in the quote refer to the same character) ?
XXX ?
What is "home" ?

Bonus:
Who is YYY ? (OK if you don't remember his name, just give his job description, and where he works)
What is YYY's fundamental misunderstanding ? What is XXX about to say, to lift this misunderstanding ?
Answering this last question implies explaining what ABCDEF means.

Oooops...
I edited my previous post instead of copying it first...
Sarsaparilla, I have not forgotten your two 1/2 points. I'll just add them to your total when this quote is found.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Editing did not make my last post appear as "new". This will do the trick.

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote:A longer quote :
"I don't understand," said YYY. "Has he committed a crime?"
"Yes. A bloody serious one. ABCDEF," said XXX. "If he gets extradited home, the penalty's quartering. Technically."
"That doesn't sound so bad." YYY shrugged. "He's been quartered in my recycling center for two months. It could hardly be worse. What's the problem?"
ABCDEF is a several-word phrase. You don't need to develop it for the main question.

Book ?
Who is "He" (all three "he" in the quote refer to the same character) ?
XXX ?
What is "home" ?

Bonus:
Who is YYY ? (OK if you don't remember his name, just give his job description, and where he works)
What is YYY's fundamental misunderstanding ? What is XXX about to say, to lift this misunderstanding ?
Answering this last question implies explaining what ABCDEF means.
Off the top of my head:
Book -The Warrior's Apprentice
"He" - Baz
XXX - Miles
"Home" - Barrayar

Bonus:
YYY is Miles' grandmother's neighbor, who runs(?) a recycling facility
YYY thinks "to be quartered" means "to be housed or domiciled" (which I think is the word Miles uses). It actually means "to be cut into four pieces." (His response is one of my favorite comic beats in the whole series, by the way. "But that would kill him!" Followed by identical exasperated looks from all three Barrayarans.)
And ABCDEF is, IIRC, desertion in the heat of battle.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Great !
You got to post the new quote, one and a half sherlocks here, and the two half ones from last time !

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

Sweet!

Ok here's the new quote. Hopefully it's pretty easy... although I seem to have a tendency to choose quotes that I think will be easy, but are actually insanely difficult... :shock:
XXX blinked at him with manufactured innocence. "AAA had it from BBB. I had it from CCC. DDD had it from EEE. And FFF had it from GGG. If you're trying to keep a secret, YYY, why are you going around telling everyone?"
Book?
Who is XXX?
Who is him/YYY?
What secret is he trying to keep?

For a bonus:
Who are AAA, BBB, CCC, DDD, EEE, FFF, and GGG?
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

sarsaparilla wrote:Ok here's the new quote. Hopefully it's pretty easy... although I seem to have a tendency to choose quotes that I think will be easy, but are actually insanely difficult...
Not this time.
I roughly recognised the situation and knew the book and the "him" with his open secret.
Then it was easy enough to find the quoted scene and all the answers.
XXX blinked at him with manufactured innocence. "AAA had it from BBB. I had it from CCC. DDD had it from EEE. And FFF had it from GGG. If you're trying to keep a secret, YYY, why are you going around telling everyone?
Book? A Civil Campaign
Who is XXX? Martya
Who is him/YYY? Miles
What secret is he trying to keep? He's courting Ekaterin

For a bonus:
Who are AAA Kareen
BBB Mark
CCC Ivan
DDD Martya's mom
EEE Gregor
FFF Martya's dad
GGG Pym

P.S. The "quartering" of the previous quote was more than just "cutting".
Spoiler: show
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

Correct, EPS! You get the next quote and 1 1/2 sherlocks!
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

<Grunt> Climbing out of a laziness pit is just as hard as boosting out of a gravity well. Ask Sulu or Chekov.
<Grunt>

Okay. Here goes.
I’ve been doing this since I was thirteen. It shouldn’t be hard.
It's not about Elena or Ivan crawling into the long abandoned hidden Resistance caves and decrepit tanks, the way Miles used to cajole them to, back when they were teenagers exploring the Dendarii Mountains.

Book?
I ?
Where (precise location)?

Bonus for ½ point:
What is this/it?
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

It's not about Elena or Ivan crawling into the long abandoned hidden Resistance caves and decrepit tanks, the way Miles used to cajole them to, back when they were teenagers exploring the Dendarii Mountains.

Book?
I ?
Where (precise location)?

Hint #2: A pumping chamber in the Thames Tidal Barrier is not the location.

Bonus for ½ point:
What is this/it?

( a different image than in previous post )
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Rish is indeed impressive, but I think Tej is not quite curvaceous enough... Ivan is OK.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:<Grunt> Climbing out of a laziness pit is just as hard as boosting out of a gravity well. Ask Sulu or Chekov.
<Grunt>

Okay. Here goes.
Book : Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
I : Gentleman Jole (alone !)
Where (precise location) : a specially dedicated room within Kayross, aka “Kareenburg Reproductive and Obstetrical Services”, Kareenburg, Sergyar

Bonus for ½ point:
What is this/it?

EPS, you lecherous voyeur, you !
I know what action this is, and you know I know, and I know you know i know, and you know etc. etc.
But some pure innocent soul may happen to visit this page, and as Sar Pierre Dac said in the immortal dialogue (sorry, no english translation available)
l'honnêteté et la décence m'interdisent de préciser davantage.
BTW, if this is non ambiguous, LMB made a double-entendre on it. Read just after this, it means the same action, but if you read the sentence just after, it can be unsderstood not as an action, but as a more substantive substantive.... and if you were to ask, as Francis Blanche,
qu'est-ce que vous entendez par là ?
I'll answer again as Sar Pierre Dac
Oh ! par là j'entends pas grand-chose !
with an alas untranslatable double-entrendre on the word "entendre" which in french normally means "to hear" but can also be understood as "to mean"

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

I was actually challenging you, all the participants in the LMBQG, to describe "this/it" with totally accurate and SFWAS terms (Safe For Work And School).
I myself would unambiguously and correctly state:
"This/it" refers to the single-handed collection of multiple haploid chromosome sample sets.

Lecherous voyeurism is in the eye of ..., of ... , er, Voralfred.

Now you certainly do win 1 point for your correct main answer.

But because you failed to actually give the bonus solution, I shall award the ½ bonus point to myself for my delicate paraphrasing of the bonus answer.

So now you're up.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, you certainly are within your rights to deny me the bonus. Though I personnaly think that I did raise to the challenge of a SFWAS answer, I admit that yours is much better than mine.
However I don't think the rules allow the poster to win her/his own bonus. If it were the case, there must be a good dozen unanswered bonuses, among the many dozen bonuses in all I have proposed since the game began, for me to answer (if I can just remember now what I had in mind then...)

This bonus should remain open, for any third party (I won't try again) to win it. You, of course, will remain the sole judge to decide whether the answer is
a) SFWAS
b) sufficiently original not to be some paraphrase of yours.
A bonus is open ended, the answer could come in one hour, one week, one year, or any time when this forum is still active (a few millenia, let us hope - by this time, immortality will be achieved and both our cryocorpses will be revived).

New quote
AAA shrugged, eyes sliding aside from BBB’s level look. "Like CCC, I DDDed. Like CCC, I found it was not the improvement I'd hoped for."
Book ?
AAA, BBB, CCC ? (three characters - you don't have to give the exact expression used in the quote, any non-ambiguous designation will do)
to DDD ? (a verb)
Last edited by voralfred on Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Yes, I agree, you can not award yourself points. Only not award the point. :crazy:
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote ?
AAA shrugged, eyes sliding aside from BBB’s level look. "Like CCC, I DDDed. Like CCC, I found it was not the improvement I'd hoped for."
"You can see why it's urgent to get AAA back home as quickly as possible," EEE put in.
Book ?
AAA, BBB, CCC, EEE ? (four characters - you don't have to give the exact expression used in the quote, any non-ambiguous designation will do)
to DDD ? (a verb)

Bonus:
Exactly what, when AAA DDDed, was decidedly not an improvement ? You have to give a (short) quote a bit earlier in the same book describing AAA's situation then.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A still longer quote ?
"You explain it," said EEE to AAA, trying not to grit eee teeth. Tell bbb about the FFF, eh?

"You can see why it's urgent to get AAA back home as quickly as possible," EEE put in. "They think he's missing. Maybe kidnapped."
eee=his/her/its is the possessive pronoun for EEE
bbb=him/her/it is the pronoun for BBB
well, I goofed and you know that AAA is "he" , I should have written "aaa's missing" instead....

The italicized bit is an non-uttered thought by EEE
Note that the bonuses are also meant as hints.

Book ?
AAA, BBB, CCC, EEE ? (four characters - you don't have to give the exact expression used in the quote, any non-ambiguous designation will do)
to DDD ? (a verb)
FFF (a noun - this noun describes some "material object" in relationship with AAA's DDDion - note that DDDion is the proper spelling of the action of AAA's DDDing, which should tell you something about the last letter of the verb "to DDD") It is OK if you don't get the exact word FFF used here, but just describe how AAA's DDDion took place.

Bonus #1:
Exactly what about AAA's DDDion, was decidedly not an improvement ? You have to give a (short) quote a bit earlier in the same book describing AAA's situation at the worst point between his DDDion and the time of this dialogue. Not that his situation has really improved so much by the time of the dialogue. But to get the bonus you have to give a quote describing precisely AAA's previous situation.

Bonus #2:
home ?
They ?

Incidentally my latest unanswered bonus is Bonus #3 here
(Bonuses #1 and #2 have already been answered there) Since XXX is Elli Quinn, you have to name six other women.

Anyone is welcome to go back on my earlier quotes to find and answer older bonuses, I am sure there are at least half a dozen :sherlock: 's to be had

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"You explain it," said EEE to AAA, trying not to grit eee teeth. Tell bbb about the FFF, eh?
"You can see why it's urgent to get AAA back home as quickly as possible," EEE put in. "They think he's missing. Maybe kidnapped."

Book ? The Vor Game
AAA Gregor
BBB Elena
bbb her (Elena)
CCC Baz
ccc
DDD deserted
EEE Miles
eee his (Miles)
FFF Balcony

Bonus #1:
Gregor climbed over a balcony while on Komarr to escape being Emperor after finding out some truths about Prince Serg. Once out and about in "free" space, he realized just how good he'd had it on Barrayar.

Bonus #2:
home ? Barrayar
They ? ImpSec / Barrayar
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

You certainly have the main point and bonus #2.
As for bonus #1, you have half the answer, but the point is not so much how good he had it on Barrayar but how bad it got after he deserted.
I think you should have a 72 hours option from the time of this post during which noone else can try to give me the answer I am waiting for with a (very short) quote. After 72 hours it becomes free for grabs by any player including you: the 72 hours option protects you but does not limit your right to anwser.
I should make it clear that the "short quote" I want is by no means unique. There are lots of places between the balcony scene and this dialogue where Gregor's worst point is mentioned, the answer I want is just any one of those.
You can offer a new quote immediately.

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

AAA appeared to digest this "Do you have BBB's thing, CCC?"

Book?
AAA?
BBB?
CCC?