LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

:clap:
You get the next quote an two and a half :sherlock: !

:banana: :beer: :banana:
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

XXX shook (their) head, (their) expression growing inward, as if looking into long memory. "No. That wasn't courage, just a kind of numbness. It was like I'd lost all affinity with the world. Now, though...oh gods, I care so much I can't hardly breath."

Book?
XXX?
Who is XXX speaking to?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote:XXX shook (their) head, (their) expression growing inward, as if looking into long memory. "No. That wasn't courage, just a kind of numbness. It was like I'd lost all affinity with the world. Now, though...oh gods, I care so much I can't hardly breath."

Book?
XXX?
Who is XXX speaking to?
By "their" I assume you mean "his" or "her" or "its" (in case XXX were a betan herm or a cetagandan ba if the quote were in the Vorkosiverse) but there is only one speaker, right ?

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

You are correct.

XXX shook (their) head, (their) expression growing inward, as if looking into long memory. "No. That wasn't courage, just a kind of numbness. It was like I'd lost all affinity with the world. Now, though...oh gods, I care so much I can't hardly breath." (They) dotted kisses all across (their) face, quick, frantic pecks. "And I'm scared spitless."

Book?
XXX?
Who is XXX speaking to?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote:You are correct.

XXX shook (their) head, (their) expression growing inward, as if looking into long memory. "No. That wasn't courage, just a kind of numbness. It was like I'd lost all affinity with the world. Now, though...oh gods, I care so much I can't hardly breath." (They) dotted kisses all across (their) face, quick, frantic pecks. "And I'm scared spitless."

Book?
XXX?
Who is XXX speaking to?
Just guessing . I absolutely do not remember this exchange and I am not going to reread ALL of TSK to find it.
XXX sounds like Dag. He can only be opening his heart this way to Fawn.
Even to her he would not speak like that in TSK1, most definitely. Besides, this change of vision, caring again, came from his love for her, and had to take time.
Probably not in TSK2, I estimate 5% max.
Not impossible in TSK3, say, another 25% or so.
My best guess is TSK4, when Dag's psychological state had even more time to develop, 70% probability.

Do I get 3/4 of a :sherlock: ? Or just 1/4 ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, I'll be away 2 weeks. I might have internet there, but maybe not.
So if I win this quote, I'm offering the next one to any player, on a first come, first serve, basis.
If I do have internet there, I might offer a quote myself (first come, first serve) but don't wait for me !

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

You are correct!
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

No takers yet ?

I'm back !

[quote]
Aaa also discovered that bbb was attracted by the dreadful, among the ccc wares cramming the narrow shops into which they ducked.
[\quote]

ccc is an adjective which would be too much of a giveaway

Book ?
Aaa and bbb, in the text, are personal pronouns. But what characters do they correspond to ?

Bonus #1
ccc ?
What is, in particular, the “dreadful” that mostly attracted “bbb” ?

Bonus #2
For what purpose did “bbb” consider buying it ? Did “bbb” actually buy it ?

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Aaa: Ekaterin
Bbb: Miles
Ccc: Galatic
Book: Komarr

Bonus #1? Lava lamp.

Bonus #2? Wedding Gift, Birthday Gift.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Yes, you get the next quote and both bonuses!

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

The arrogance – or was it the anxiety? – had bloated of late to something overweening, desperately out of balance. And that which is out of balance … falls.
Who was out of balance?
Who is having these thoughts?
Book?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Ghost wrote:
The arrogance – or was it the anxiety? – had bloated of late to something overweening, desperately out of balance. And that which is out of balance … falls.
Who was out of balance? Gregor when he fell off the hotel balcony.
Who is having these thoughts? Miles.
Book? The Vor Game.
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Sorry wrong guesses.
S Adams
Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Been a super busy week, I'll try to post a clue today or tomorrow.
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Ghost wrote:Been a super busy week, I'll try to post a clue today or tomorrow.
Well, a clue would be welcome....

"tomorrow" was two days ago...

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

voralfred wrote:
Ghost wrote:Been a super busy week, I'll try to post a clue today or tomorrow.
Well, a clue would be welcome....

"tomorrow" was two days ago...
Ghost, could you please give us a hint ?

Or should we call this quote :cold: ?

No correct answer (and only one try) in almost three weeks....

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

The previous sentence:
X had been alternately petted and neglected by parents and servants both, the natural arrogance of his blood tainted with a precarious hunger for honor, fame, reward.
X is who was out of balance.
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Finally found it !
Ghost wrote:

Who was out of balance? Prince Boleso (deceased)
Who is having these thoughts? Ingrey
Book? Hallowed Hunt

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Ghost ?
Yoo-hoo ?

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Correct on all accounts!!!
I swear I added a clue last time, but when I look at my most recent post is ... nothing ... :slap:
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Ghost wrote:Correct on all accounts!!!
I swear I added a clue last time, but when I look at my most recent post is ... nothing ... :slap:
Well, you did give a clue on March 20th, that helped me find it. The original quote on March 2nd was a bit short...

Anyway, next quote :
"What appalling creatures."
XXX almost laughed at yyy revolted look. "As a carnivore yourself, you can't really condemn them."
Book ?
XXX ?
yyy is a "genitive" pronoun (his, her, its, their...) but whose is the revolted look ?
What is "appalling" ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer one ?
XXX almost laughed at yyy revolted look. "As a carnivore yourself, you can't really condemn them."
"Condemn, no; avoid, yes."
"I'll go along with that."
They continued upstream past a frothing, opaque tan waterfall. ....
("..." just means the paragraph does not end there. There are no "..." in the actual text.)

Book ?
XXX ?
yyy is a "genitive" pronoun (his, her, its, their...) but whose is the revolted look ?
What is "appalling" ?[/quote]

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, not just a longer one, but also a hint and several bonuses.
("..." just means the paragraph does not end there. There are no "..." in the actual text.)

Hint: these "appalling creatures" will reappear in a much later book in the same series, where they will play a role more important than just a side remark in passing, describing the surroundings, as in this quote.

Book ?
XXX ?
What is "appalling" ?

Bonus #1: in addition to XXX and the character of the revolted look, there is a third, silent character present. For a half Sherlock, who is that ?

Bonus #2: in what book of the same series do the creatures come back ? what role do they play ? (a further half Sherlock)

Bonus #3: in what book does XXX briefly reminisce, in a very emotional moment, about the silent character of Bonus 1 ? (again a further half Sherlock)

Bonus #4: in what book does a character assume the last name of the silent character of Bonus 1, but it later becomes evident that it is not this character real name ? (again a further half Sherlock)

Speaking of names, it appears that LMB has a fondness for some names. There is a collection of early short fiction called "Dreamweaver's Dilemma", which however has been explicitly excluded from this game by mutual agreement (though Ghost, I remember, had disagreed at that time, but was outnumbered), in which names appeared which were reused.
So answering these next two questions will not bring any fraction of sherlock, but only my personal kudos:

- in which story of this collection does a character share the same last name as the silent one of Bonus 1 (here it is the character's real last name, not like the one of Bonus 4)
- in which story of this collection does a character share both the first and the last name of XXX, and even some physical and psychological traits, but in a totally different context ?

edit
- and does anybody see the intrinsic irony in this "non-bonus", in particular with respect to the question just above this one ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

voralfred wrote:OK, not just a longer one, but also a hint and several bonuses.

Hint: these "appalling creatures" will reappear in a much later book in the same series, where they will play a role more important than just a side remark in passing, describing the surroundings, as in this quote.

Book ?
XXX ?
What is "appalling" ?

Bonus #1: in addition to XXX and the character of the revolted look, there is a third, silent character present. For a half Sherlock, who is that ?

Bonus #2: in what book of the same series do the creatures come back ? what role do they play ? (a further half Sherlock)

Bonus #3: in what book does XXX briefly reminisce, in a very emotional moment, about the silent character of Bonus 1 ? (again a further half Sherlock)

Bonus #4: in what book does a character assume the last name of the silent character of Bonus 1, but it later becomes evident that it is not this character real name ? (again a further half Sherlock)

Speaking of names, it appears that LMB has a fondness for some names. There is a collection of early short fiction called "Dreamweaver's Dilemma", which however has been explicitly excluded from this game by mutual agreement (though Ghost, I remember, had disagreed at that time, but was outnumbered), in which names appeared which were reused.
So answering these next two questions will not bring any fraction of sherlock, but only my personal kudos:

- in which story of this collection does a character share the same last name as the silent one of Bonus 1 (here it is the character's real last name, not like the one of Bonus 4)
- in which story of this collection does a character share both the first and the last name of XXX, and even some physical and psychological traits, but in a totally different context ?

edit
- and does anybody see the intrinsic irony in this "non-bonus", in particular with respect to the question just above this one ?
A further hint :

These "appalling creatures" only appear in the book of the main quote and in that of bonus #2, but not in any other novel nor short fiction in the same series, nor in fact in any other novel or short fiction by LMB. This is not an accident, they just could not appear. Well, to be perfectly comprehensive, they might have appeared in the book of bonus #3, but not in the main story, only in a very small part of the book, precisely the very emotional moment of bonus #3. Fortunately, they do not appear to mar it.

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

What appalling creatures."

Book ? Shards of Honor
XXX ? Cordelia
yyy is a "genitive" pronoun (his, her, its, their...) but whose is the revolted look ? "his"
What is "appalling" ? I'm guessing the fact they are more or less "vampires" in their feeding habits.

Bonus #1: in addition to XXX and the character of the revolted look, there is a third, silent character present. For a half Sherlock, who is that ? Ensign Dubauer

Bonus #2: in what book of the same series do the creatures come back ? what role do they play ? (a further half Sherlock) Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”