LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote:What appalling creatures."
XXX almost laughed at yyy revolted look. "As a carnivore yourself, you can't really condemn them."
"Condemn, no; avoid, yes."
"I'll go along with that."
They continued upstream past a frothing, opaque tan waterfall. ....

Book ? Shards of Honor
XXX ? Cordelia
yyy is a "genitive" pronoun (his, her, its, their...) but whose is the revolted look ? "his"
What is "appalling" ? I'm guessing the fact they are more or less "vampires" in their feeding habits.

Bonus #1: in addition to XXX and the character of the revolted look, there is a third, silent character present. For a half Sherlock, who is that ? Ensign Dubauer

Bonus #2: in what book of the same series do the creatures come back ? what role do they play ? (a further half Sherlock) Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
Well, clearly you did guess where the quote is from. Next quote is yours.
Also bonus 1 is correct.
But I did not just ask the gender of the person with the revolted look, but his (yes, indeed, "his") name.
Also what role do the creatures play in " Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen", for bonus 2 ?

I guess you should also have a priority (let us say, 48 hours from my post) for bonuses 3 and 4 (and my kudos, if you ever read the collection "Dreamweaver Dilemma")
But you can post the new quote immediately, I'll update the sherlocks later.
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"Mm..." XXX stared thoughtfully into space. "Actual lab costs, something under fifty thousand YYY dollars."

Book?
XXX?
Who/what is/are YYY?
To who is XXX speaking to?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, you get 1 point for the main question and 1/2 for bonus 1

The 1/2 for bonus 2 will go to whom describes the role of the creatures in "Gentleman Jole...", but must also indicate who has the revolted look in the main question
Bonuses 3 and 4 (and my kudos for the sherlock-less not-quite-bonuses) are also free for grabs.

JKCade wrote:"Mm..." XXX stared thoughtfully into space. "Actual lab costs, something under fifty thousand YYY dollars."

Book?
XXX?
Who/what is/are YYY?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote:"Mm..." XXX stared thoughtfully into space. "Actual lab costs, something under fifty thousand YYY dollars."

Book?
XXX?
Who/what is/are YYY?
A lil' hint, maybe ?

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

"Mm..." XXX stared thoughtfully into space. "Actual lab costs, something under fifty thousand YYY dollars. Who knows what the markup might have been. Any special demand for secrecy on the part of its purchasers would have driven the cost up, oh, about five-fold. "

Book?
XXX?
Who/what is/are YYY?
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

JKCade wrote:"Mm..." XXX stared thoughtfully into space. "Actual lab costs, something under fifty thousand YYY dollars. Who knows what the markup might have been. Any special demand for secrecy on the part of its purchasers would have driven the cost up, oh, about five-fold. "

Book?
XXX?
Who/what is/are YYY?
Found it !

Book : Memory
XXX : Dr. Weddell, previously known as Dr. Canaba
Who/what is/are YYY? betan (dollars)
To who is XXX speaking to? Directly answering a question by Miles, but Haroche and Illyan and a few Barrayran military and/or physicians were also present.

JKCade
Literature Addict

Post by JKCade »

Correct! You have the next quote!
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Ooops ! I edited this page instead of quoting and modifying it. For the record, I try to reconstruct the first version...
(...) So he spends the next five acts blundering around getting nearly the whole cast killed while he dithers."
(...) means the quote does not begin with the line uttered by the speaker. There are no actual (...) in the text.

Book ?
Speaker?
Whom is the speaker talking to ?

Bonus #1 : who else is present ?
Bonus #2 : the “five acts” and the “cast” refer to a play. Which one ?

I don’t see how to answer Bonus #1 before the main question is answered, but Bonus #2 can be answered independently.
So there is no 5-days “no ping-pong” exclusion rule on Bonus #2.
Any player, including JKCade, can answer Bonus #2 as well as the leftover bonuses of my previous question (and older unanswered bonuses) at any time.
Last edited by voralfred on Tue May 22, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

"You'd think so, but XXX gets a tip-off that his old man was murdered by the uncle. Unfortunately, he can't tell if his informant is telling truth or lies. So he spends the next five acts blundering around getting nearly the whole cast killed while he dithers."
Now the quote coincides with the entire line uttered by the speaker.

Book ?
Speaker?
Whom is the speaker talking to ?

Bonus #2 : the “five acts” and the “cast” refer to a play, XXX being a character of this play. For a single 1/2 point, which play, and who is XXX ?

I don’t see how to answer Bonus #1 before the main question is answered, but Bonus #2 can be answered independently.

Any player can answer Bonus #2 as well as the leftover bonuses of my previous question (and older unanswered bonuses) at any time, whether (s)he answers the main question or not..
And since a longer quote does not reset the 5-days "no-ping-pong" rule, JKCade can also answer the main question now.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

"You'd think so, but XXX gets a tip-off that his old man was murdered by the uncle. Unfortunately, he can't tell if his informant is telling truth or lies. So he spends the next five acts blundering around getting nearly the whole cast killed while he dithers."
"That was stupid," said YYY scornfully, uncoiling altogether. "Why didn't he just use aaa-bbb?"
"Hadn't been invented yet, alas. Or it would have been a much shorter play."
"Oh." YYY frowned thoughtfully at ZZZ. "Can you use aaa-bbb? CCC DDD . . . said you couldn't. And that it was very convenient." YYY precisely mimicked DDD's sneer in these last two words.
"On myself, you mean? (.......)
Here the first " . . ." are actually in the text, YYY apparently hesitates before quoting CCC DDD, but the final "(.......)" is mine, to mean that ZZZ keeps talking, giving the answer to Bonus #4, see below. (Incidentally, DDD is right in this respect, ZZZ does confirm aaa-bbb is useless on him).

Book ?
Who is ZZZ , the character that speaks first, third , fifth, seventh and last?
Who is YYY (all even lines) ?
What is aaa-bbb (a noun in two words with a hyphen) ?

Bonus #2 : the “five acts” and the “cast” refer to a play, XXX being a character of this play. For a 1/2 point, which play, and who is XXX (well, both questions have the same answer - incidentially WWW is just an honorific, you don't have to mention it.) ?

Hint : even if aaa-bbb had been invented at the time of the play, it would have been difficult to administer it to XXX's informant.
Bonus #3 : Why ? (you have to specify at least aaa-bbb here, if you have not answered the main question)

DDD is a name, CCC some kind of honorific. If answering by memory, you don't have to specify CCC, but for a half :sherlock:
Bonus #4 : Who is DDD ? (in fact, if you answer by memory you can even answer if you don't remember the name, if you describe the character's role well enough "the guy who...") And why would aaa-bbb also be useless on ZZZ ? The reason is not at all the same as in Bonus #3.

Hint : the reason of Bonus #4 has some connection with a different play by the same playwright as the one of Bonus #2
Bonus #5 : what other play, and in what earlier book of the same series is this connection described ?

A longer quote does not reset the 5-days "no-ping-pong" rule, JKCade can answer even the main question now.
Any player can try to answer any bonus(es) without trying to answer the main question (though except for bonus #2, it seems difficult to answer the other ones without knowing the context, but not completely impossible, in fact, one can guess what aaa-bbb is, and answer also bonuses 3 and 5, even without solving the main question)
I give you a chance of winning a full :sherlock: with a sixth bonus, because it is extremely difficult.
In still another book in the same series, earlier even than the one of bonus #5, a few lines of the same play as that of bonus #5 are quoted.
What book ?
Who quotes this play ?
Last edited by voralfred on Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

More hints ? But no more bonuses !

- it is quite clear this is in the Vorkosigan Saga: no other series has our Earth it its past. The playright who wrote both the play of bonuses #2 and 3 and the play of bonuses #5 and 6, should be rather obvious ! You can try your luck on these bonuses, even if you don't trace the quote itself !

- earlier in the discussion between ZZZ and YYY (in which the character of bonus #1 does participate) YYY was extremely "coiled", but has started to "uncoil a litttle" before the beginning of the present quote, and fully uncoils when suggesting aaa-bbb.

- don't miss "Ah, no" that I added to the quote. ZZZ's line goes on further, giving the answer to Bonus #4, see below.

"So in the play, WWW XXX comes home for his father's funeral, to find that his mother has married his uncle."
YYY's eyes widened. "She married her brother?"
"No, no! It's not that racy a play. His other uncle, his da's brother."
"Oh. That's all right, then."
"That was stupid," said YYY scornfully, uncoiling altogether. "Why didn't he just use aaa-bbb?"
"Oh." YYY frowned thoughtfully at ZZZ. "Can you use aaa-bbb? CCC DDD . . . said you couldn't. And that it was very convenient." YYY precisely mimicked DDD's sneer in these last two words.
"On myself, you mean? Ah, no. (.......)
Here the first " . . ." are actually in the text, YYY apparently hesitates before quoting CCC DDD, but the final "(.......)" is mine, to mean that ZZZ keeps talking, giving the answer to Bonus #4, see below. (Incidentally, DDD is right in this respect, ZZZ does confirm aaa-bbb is useless on him).

Book ?
Who is ZZZ , the character that speaks first, third , fifth, seventh and last?
Who is YYY (all even lines) ?

Bonus #2 : the “five acts” and the “cast” refer to a play, XXX being a character of this play. For a 1/2 point, which play, and who is XXX (well, both questions have the same answer - incidentially WWW is just an honorific, you don't have to mention it.) ?

Hint : even if aaa-bbb had been invented at the time of the play, it would have been difficult to administer it to XXX's informant.
Bonus #3 : Why ? (you have to specify at least aaa-bbb here, if you have not answered the main question)

DDD is a name, CCC some kind of honorific. If answering by memory, you don't have to specify CCC, but for a half :sherlock:
Bonus #4 : Who is DDD ? (in fact, if you answer by memory you can even answer if you don't remember the name, if you describe the character's role well enough "the guy who...") And why would aaa-bbb also be useless on ZZZ ? The reason is not at all the same as in Bonus #3.

Hint : the reason of Bonus #4 has some connection with a different play by the same playwright as the one of Bonus #2
Bonus #5 : what other play, and in what earlier book of the same series is this connection described ?

A longer quote does not reset the 5-days "no-ping-pong" rule, JKCade can answer even the main question now.
Any player can try to answer any bonus(es) without trying to answer the main question (though except for bonus #2, it seems difficult to answer the other ones without knowing the context, but not completely impossible, in fact, one can guess what aaa-bbb is, and answer also bonuses 3 and 5, even without solving the main question)
I give you a chance of winning a full :sherlock: with a sixth bonus, because it is extremely difficult.
In still another book in the same series, earlier even than the one of bonus #5, a few lines of the same play as that of bonus #5 are quoted.
What book ?
Who quotes this play ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, I'll give you a longer quote and one more hint :
The discussion between ZZZ and YYY (to which EEE does not participate in the longer quote, but is explicitly mentioned, so I modified the question of bonus #1) deals about how to behave after one's father's death when the informations one has received about the circumstances of this death are unreliable, uncorroborated or even contradictory. This being precisely the topic of the play of bonus #2 is the reason ZZZ mentions it. However, since YYY is younger than the character XXX of the play, not yet "old enough to shave", XXX telling YYY that he is not expected to do anything about it for "several years" helps him to "uncoil".

SInce I changed a few things in the previous questions, I don't "quote" the earlier version but put in brown its new version.

More hints ? But no more bonuses !

- it is quite clear this is in the Vorkosigan Saga: no other series has our Earth it its past. The playright who wrote both the play of bonuses #2 and 3 and the play of bonuses #5 and 6, should be rather obvious ! You can try your luck on these bonuses, even if you don't trace the quote itself !

- earlier in the discussion between ZZZ and YYY (in which EEE, the character of bonus #1 does participate, but before even the new longer quote) YYY was extremely "coiled", but has started to "uncoil a litttle" before the beginning of the present quote, and fully uncoils when suggesting aaa-bbb.

"Ah, well, there you go. Nobody expects you to carry out a really good revenge till you're at least old enough to shave. You have several years yet before you have to worry about it."
EEE started to cry ZZ1 ZZ2! in outraged protest to this line of black humor, till she saw that YYY looked noticeably relieved. Where was ZZZ going with this? She held her tongue, and nearly her breath, and let him run on.
"So in the play, WWW XXX comes home for his father's funeral, to find that his mother has married his uncle."
YYY's eyes widened. "She married her brother?"
"No, no! It's not that racy a play. His other uncle, his da's brother."
"Oh. That's all right, then."
"On myself, you mean? Ah, no. (.......)

Book ?
Who is ZZZ (ZZ1 ZZ2 is another way to call ZZZ, and ZZ1 is just an honorific)
Who is YYY ?

Bonus #1 : who is EEE, who participated earlier in the conversation, but "held her tongue" in the quote ?

What book ?
Who quotes this play ?

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Okay ... from memory

ZZ1: Lord
ZZ2: Vorkasagn (Miles)
YYY: Nikki (Ekaterin’s son)
Bonus #1: EEE: Ekaterin
Bonus #2: WWW: Prince XXX: Hamlet
Bonus #3 Aaa-bbb: Fast-penta (truth serum), he was a ghost
Bonus #4: Shakespeare play in the book Mirror Dance where Miles plays all the characters in it to outwit the fast-penta interrogation.
Bonus #5: CCC DDD Lieutenant Vor-something, wants to wed Kat
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, you did answer the question and get the next quote as well as the principal :sherlock:

As for the bonuses
OK for #1, #2 and #3 (if anyone could answer this one, it had to be you ;) )
the answers your provide under 4 and 5 in fact constitute the full answer to #4 : CCC DDD is indeed the guy who wanted to wed Kat, so it is OK if you don't remember the name (Vormoncrief) and you did explain why fast-penta is useless on Miles (indeed he defeated it by reciting a whole play by Shakespeare).
BTW, it is not in Mirror Dance, but this does not invalid your answer to bonus #4, since I only asked why fast-penta did not work on Miles, not where.

So that makes a total of 3 :sherlock:

Conversely, for bonus #5 one has to specify what play this is (not Hamlet) and in what book Miles recites it.

And bonus #6, for a whole :sherlock: : in a still different book of the Vorkosigan Saga a few lines of the (not Hamlet) play are quoted.
Who quotes them and in which book ?

So there are still 1 and 1/2 points pending.

Anyway, you get 3 full points and the next question ! Congratulations !

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Ghost, yoo-hoo ?
Disappeared again ? No way to fast-penta you !

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

The stun beam kneecapped him neatly, and he fell, X suppoed, the way a tree was said to, not the x ever witnessed a tree do such a thing.
Book
X
Who got kneecapped
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you,
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A little hint, maybe ?

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

The stun beam kneecapped him neatly, and he fell, X supposed, the way a tree was said to, not the x ever witnessed a tree do such a thing. Most of the trees x seen before x'd fetched up on Y had lived in tubs, and did not engage in such vigorous behavior.
Extended quote:
Book
X
Who got kneecapped
Y (is a planet name)
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Aha ! Found it. I knew it could not be Miles, he'd be a bush, not a tree... But not Thorne, not Metzov, not Ivan in Cetaganda.... but Ivan, indeed
Ghost wrote:
The stun beam kneecapped him neatly, and he fell, X supposed, the way a tree was said to, not the x ever witnessed a tree do such a thing. Most of the trees x seen before x'd fetched up on Y had lived in tubs, and did not engage in such vigorous behavior.
Extended quote:
Book : Captain Vorpatril's Alliance
X : Tej, aka.... too many names
Who got kneecapped : Ivan
Y (is a planet name) : Komarr

Ghost
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Ghost »

Correct on all points.
S Adams
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

New quote
"(...) 'Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.' "
(...) means that the speaker says something before this quote.

Book ?
Who is speaking ?
To whom ?

Bonus: the single quotes 'Home is ... you in.' within the double quotes "(...) " mean that the speaker is quoting some third party to the listener. For 1/2 point, who is this third party ?

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

A longer quote ?
"That pleases me . . . more than I can say. XXX sends her love and her best hopes. If I saw you, I was to remind you, ah—I must get the phrase exact, it was one of her YYY cracks—'Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.' "
This is the speaker's entire line.
Here . . . is really in the text, the speaker apparently hesitated.

Book ?
Who is speaking ?
To whom ?

Bonus: the single quotes 'Home is ... you in.' is one of XXX's YYY cracks, quoted by the speaker for the benefit of the listener.
For 1/2 point, who is XXX (you don't have to tell exactly what word XXX is, just who the character is) and what adjective is YYY ?

E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

voralfred wrote:A longer quote ?
"That pleases me . . . more than I can say. XXX sends her love and her best hopes. If I saw you, I was to remind you, ah—I must get the phrase exact, it was one of her YYY cracks—'Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.' "

Book ?
Who is speaking ?
To whom ?

Bonus: the single quotes 'Home is ... you in.' is one of XXX's YYY cracks, quoted by the speaker for the benefit of the listener.
For 1/2 point, who is XXX (you don't have to tell exactly what word XXX is, just who the character is) and what adjective is YYY ?
Let's see if I haven't lost my Fingerspitsengefühl (lost my touch in English).

Book ? Mirror Dance
Who is speaking ? Miles
To whom ? Mark

XXX = mother
yyy = betan
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Well, well, well...
This is a first ! It is indeed the first time, unless I am mistaken, that a bonus is found before the main question.

All three answers to the main question are wrong !

Of course, XXX does not appear as "mother" in the quote, since it is not Miles talking to Mark, but XXX indeed represents their mother, and YYY is indeed "betan".

So you get the bonus ! There is no point finding the exact form of XXX used in the quote, I did say it was enough to identify the character.

I won't update the sherlocks till the main quote is found, but don't worry, I will remember your 1/2 point.

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

New version thanks to EPS
"That pleases me . . . more than I can say. Cordelia sends her love and her best hopes. If I saw you, I was to remind you, ah—I must get the phrase exact, it was one of her Betan cracks—'Home is where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.' "

Book ?
Who is speaking ?
To whom ?

The bonus has been found.
The fact that the speaker said "Cordelia" rather than any other appelation (such as : Lady/Countess Vorkosigan, the Vicereine, etc. depending on what book it is) is a hint.

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”