LMB Quote Game

Multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winning author Lois McMaster Bujold is creator of the Miles Vorkosigan universe and the world of Chalion.

Official Website: www.dendarii.com

Moderator: Ghost

SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Re: LMB Quote Game

Post by SPetty »

Just in case someone else has been meaning to answer, but hasn't had a chance to look it up. Also, weekends are limited internet days for me, so I'm better able to check during the week.
Waiting patiently for the next Lois McMaster Bujold book.
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

[quote="E Pericoloso Sporgersi"]Maybe a little hint would be useful:
The book is "Captain Vorpatril's Alliance".

Tej and Ivan went to a very remote planet with little wormhole traffic for Ivan's punitive diplomatic assignment.
From their house on a tropical island they have a lovely view over the ocean. Also over their private swimming pool.

Now for the questions:

1. On which planet is Ivan's posting? (From the book) Ylla

2. What is Ivan's job designation (or diplomatic rank)? (also from the book) Senior military attache (keyboard won't let me do the fancy e)

3. What is Ivan's routine job schedule? Take care of the diplomatic stuff and be home by noon (book says three mornings per week).

4. With the blue Adriatic-like sea just a few steps away, why do they want a maintenance-requiring swimming pool? Even if the water were not toxic (book says rashes), the marine life is fairly alarming (and humans are toxic to them according to the book), if I recall correctly.

5. What beverage are Tej and Ivan sipping by the swimming pool? With a little umbrella in it? Fruity girly drinks, no umbrella to my recollection

Figured since it was close at hand from the last quote, I could save Voralfred from having to look up what I missed
E Pericoloso Sporgersi
Sir E of the Knights Errant

Post by E Pericoloso Sporgersi »

Yes, you're 98 % correct.

Ylla's aquatic predators are more gluttonous than you remember:
... while humans were highly toxic morsels in the diet of the native sea monsters, the monsters were extremely stupid and kept not figuring this out.
And you forgot an ingredient in the girly fruity drink:
Ivan finally started on his own frosty fruity drink — nice kick — ...
But of course this earns you the full point and the next conundrum.

BTW.
To have all accented (diacritic) characters easily accessible, use the US-International keyboard.
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

I'll keep that in mind next time. The computer I'm using has sporadic compatibility issues with the keyboard.
Have we had a vote about whether to include Penric's Demon, by the way?

Anyway, next quote:
"You never asked me to operate on XXX,"said Yyy.
Book?
Yyy?
Who is "You"?

Xxx is a two word place.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

SPetty wrote:I'll keep that in mind next time. The computer I'm using has sporadic compatibility issues with the keyboard.
I am going to read it soon...
SPetty wrote: Anyway, next quote:
"You never asked me to operate on XXX,"said Yyy.
Book?
Yyy?
Who is "You"?

Xxx is a two word place.
Book : Diplomatic Immunity
Xxx= Beta Colony
Yyy, as a character, is Bel Thorne. I answer from memory and did not go check whether in the actual text what appears is its full name, or just Bel, or just Thorne, or even maybe "the herm" etc etc.
"You" is Miles
Human is as human does....Animals don't weep, Nine

[i]LMB, The Labyrinth [/i]
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:
SPetty wrote:... Have we had a vote about whether to include Penric's Demon, by the way?
I'm sure you'll love it.

Though as many people already complained, it's much too short ... :cry:

I do miss an elaborate tale about Penric's further péripéties (I'm avoiding spoilers, so google for this french word's meaning).
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:
voralfred wrote:
SPetty wrote:... Have we had a vote about whether to include Penric's Demon, by the way?
I'm sure you'll love it.
I did not have any doubt about that :D
E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote: Though as many people already complained, it's much too short ... :cry:

I do miss an elaborate tale about Penric's further péripéties (I'm avoiding spoilers, so google for this french word's meaning).
Thisis in contradiction with your earlier post :
Algot Runeman wrote:peripeteia
If anyone really thinks that I shall remember, let alone ever use this WotD, then sadly that person is in for a disappointing peripeteia.

(…)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re:
SPetty wrote:I'll keep that in mind next time. The computer I'm using has sporadic compatibility issues with the keyboard.
Well, since I just started it, I would vote against for a few more days, but I'll be ready to vote for very soon... :D

The point of starting a vote is not who is eligible to vote: anyone who participated to this game even once, even with a wrong answer, is eligible.
The point is rather, how long do we wait for people who haven't played for a long time to react?
From the answers at this point, SPetty and EPS seem to be in favour, I will be in favour soon. Can any other player who has an opinion vote informally, without starting a poll?

James Moriarty
Minister of Misinformation

Post by James Moriarty »

voralfred wrote: ...
Well, since I just started it, I would vote against for a few more days, but I'll be ready to vote for very soon... :D

The point of starting a vote is not who is eligible to vote: anyone who participated to this game even once, even with a wrong answer, is eligible.
The point is rather, how long do we wait for people who haven't played for a long time to react?
From the answers at this point, SPetty and EPS seem to be in favour, I will be in favour soon. Can any other player who has an opinion vote informally, without starting a poll?
Dear Sirs and Lady,

I would venture to vote "for".
I mean, do include Penric in future tasks, please.

JM
SweatHarlotBroad
Bardophobe

Post by SweatHarlotBroad »

James Moriarty wrote: Dear Sirs and Lady,

I would venture to vote for.
I mean, do include Penric in future tasks, please.

JM
Hey! Don't forget me!
I'm all for it. I feel I know Penric inside and out already. He's cute. Well of course, we can see his and the demon's thoughts, can't we. So go ahead and put him in the quote pen.
Wendy
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

Of course, it only being digital, it's a little tempting to use the search function. (Nice to see more than just me, EPS, and voralfred, by the way!)

Anyway, you're correct, voralfred! Your Sherlock, and the next quote.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, I'll look for a good one and post it soon.

James Moriarty has only posted once before "voting" here, and not on this thread at all. I don't trust him much.

As for Wendy, are you really SweetHarleyGirl in a new avatar? Welcome back, in this case! :banana: :banana: :banana:
Or did some bot impersonate my good old biker friend ?

E Pericoloso Sporgersi

voralfred wrote:... James Moriarty ... SweetHarleyGirl in a new avatar? ...
Hihihi ! :butter:
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

New quote
"(...) But at least the Appeal to the Irrelevant Authorities at Headquarters works just as well here as at home."
I removed one sentence at the beginning of this utterance.

Book?
Who is talking?
To whom?
"here"?
"home"?
Which "Irrelevant Authorities at Headquarters" is... relevant in this particular situation?

I should have read James Moriarty's previous post more carefully. It is clear there that he is some fiendish Belgian rogue... dentist !
Timeo Belgios et dona ferentes
as someone or other sais long ago...
But impersonating my sweet biker friend Wendy ? Who could have dared do such a thing?

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote:Can any other player who has an opinion vote informally, without starting a poll?
I've read it; I'm happy to include it in the game as soon as everyone's ready.
Three cheers for literacy . . . I feel sick.
SPetty
Devoted Scholar

Post by SPetty »

Actually, voralfred, that quote has already been used (by you in 2008, according to the search). I can't remember if there's a rule about recycled quotes, though.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

SPetty wrote:Actually, voralfred, that quote has already been used (by you in 2008, according to the search). I can't remember if there's a rule about recycled quotes, though.
OOOOPS ! Sorry !
Apparently I do like this quote, but I did not remember already using it ! No, this is not OK, here is a new one :
"Hello, Pandora. The gods send you a gift. But there's a catch."
"Isn't there always?"
Book ?
First speaker?
Second one? ("Pandora" is not the correct answer)

Re: Penric's Demon
As I said above, anyone who played even once, even with a wrong answer, has a right to vote. But looking at recent players, I'd say that beyond orchestrali and Caroline Tredez, we should not wait for more answers (though JKCade's input would also be welcome).

voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

OK, a longer quote
XXX's expression melted from skepticism to astonishment as YYY rose into view.
YYY grinned back. "Hello, Pandora. The gods send you a gift. But there's a catch."
"Isn't there always?" Face lighting with delight, XXX strode forward to grasp YYY's waist with bubbling enthusiasm.
Book ?
First speaker (=YYY) ?
Second speaker (=XXX) ?

Bonus: Pandora's myth is mentioned somewhere else in the same world, still about YYY. For 1/2 :sherlock:
- what book ?
- and some minimal context...

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

XXX's expression melted from skepticism to astonishment as YYY rose into view.
YYY grinned back. "Hello, Pandora. The gods send you a gift. But there's a catch."
"Isn't there always?" Face lighting with delight, XXX strode forward to grasp YYY's waist with bubbling enthusiasm.
Book ? The Vor Game
First speaker (=YYY) ? Miles
Second speaker (=XXX) ? (Bel) Thorne
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

Correct. One point and the next quote.
And the bonus ?

I have now read Penric's demon, too. But let us wait just a bit more for Caroline Tredez and orchestrali.

sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

voralfred wrote:And the bonus ?
*sigh* yeah, I don't know. Although this last quote seems to have inspired me to a bit of a reread, so maybe I'll come across it at some point.

In any case, here's the next quote:
"Dead, I'm no use to you as a hostage," he said, drawing himself up in dignity.
"'You're no use to me at all, Xxx Xxx," said Yyy frankly.
Book?
Who is Xxx Xxx (aka the First Speaker)?
Who is Yyy?

I don't need the exact terminology for Xxx Xxx, if you're not inspired to look it up. (It's pretty specific.) Just identify the character.

I'm leaving on a big trip in a couple of days, so hopefully someone identifies the quote before then...
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

sarsaparilla wrote:
Book?
Who is Yyy?

I don't need the exact terminology for Xxx Xxx, if you're not inspired to look it up. (It's pretty specific.) Just identify the character.

I'm leaving on a big trip in a couple of days, so hopefully someone identifies the quote before then...
Everybody,

I haven't the foggiest idea where to go look.

So as a fitting punishment I propose to withhold any answer.
Firstly to keep sarsaparilla in suspense, and secondly, to compel him to return sooner. :twisted: !
j/k

Scratch all that, I just had a brainburst:

Book? Barrayar
Who is Xxx Xxx (aka the First Speaker)? Count Vordarian
Who is Yyy? Cordelia
sarsaparilla
Scribe

Post by sarsaparilla »

sarsaparilla wrote:
Book?
Who is Yyy?

Everybody,

I haven't the foggiest idea where to go look.

So as a fitting punishment I propose to withhold any answer.
Firstly to keep sarsaparilla in suspense, and secondly, to compel him to return sooner. :twisted: !
j/k

Scratch all that, I just had a brainburst:

Book? Barrayar
Who is Xxx Xxx (aka the First Speaker)? Count Vordarian
Who is Yyy? Cordelia
Well EPS, I'm glad you were able to overcome your spiteful tendencies and spare me from such a punishment. :wink:
(Even though the real punishment would have been yours, as well as everyone else here on the board, as intermittent internet access and the distractions of international tourism would surely have stalled the game quite a bit. (Maybe I should have been more clear about that in my original post?))

Yes, that is the correct answer. You get the sherlock and the next quote.
(And in case you were wondering, she calls him "Emperor Vidal.")

I do feel like I have to clarify one thing, though:
... to compel him to return sooner.
O_o

I thought when I picked it that sarsaparilla was a fairly feminine handle, but maybe I was wrong?

So for future reference:
Yep, I'm a girl. I'm a SAHM to one daughter, who's getting a little brother early next year. My husband works for the US Government, in a job that moves us all over the world every other year or so; at the moment we live in Bangladesh (which is why I post at odd hours and am never quite sure what "today" means to everyone else :D ).

I first started reading LMB when I was 12 or so, mostly because I was the youngest and everyone else in my family had read them and talked about them all the time. This was between the publication of Komarr and A Civil Campaign, which is why ACC holds a special place in my heart, as the first Miles book I read right when it came out.

I first found this message board when I started a book blog called "Three Cheers for Literacy"; I was googling the title to see what was out there, and I came across this quote game.

I guess through lurking and intermittent posting I've actually been around for a few years now; sorry I never properly introduced myself!

-Jamie
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

sarsaparilla wrote:...
So for future reference:
Yep, I'm a girl.
Dear Jamie, I stand corrected.
I've now removed all eggyolk from my face, so it's time to present a new riddle.
Francis

The Star Crèche's uterine replicators left Eta Ceta aboard a haut Consort's ship for one of the satrapy planets.
But instead of requiring an unspecified number of jumps and just 2 flights aboard an orbital shuttle, the uterine replicators were transferred from one jumpship to another multiple times.

1. Which satrapy was the replicators' destination?

2. Which interstellar vessels were involved in the replicators' shipping and in what order?

Only one ship's name is given, so to identify the ships, also state the entities that own/command the respective ships.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi

Seriously Off Topic!

For a while I'll be slow with responses to the WotD and the LMB quote game, for two reasons:

1. My newest PC (since March this year) started showing a display anomaly. I carried it in for repair but I have no idea when I'll have it back. Meanwhile I'll be using my 8-year-old, much slower PC.

2. I've also ordered a copy of Windows 10 on a USB stick. I plan to do a dual boot installation (Windows 7 HP 32 bit and Windows 10 H 64 bit) on the new PC, once it's back. This might take some experimenting and fatal stumbling before I get it set up to my liking. Eventually I'll get there but it may take a while before I get back to my regular very sedate speed (even though my newest PC achieves a WEI of 7.8 instead of the 4.6 my old one shows).

So please be patient and bear with me.
voralfred
Carpal Tunnel Victim

Post by voralfred »

E Pericoloso Sporgersi wrote:(...)
The Star Crèche's uterine replicators left Eta Ceta aboard a haut Consort's ship for one of the satrapy planets.
But instead of requiring an unspecified number of jumps and just 2 flights aboard an orbital shuttle, the uterine replicators were transferred from one jumpship to another multiple times.

1. Which satrapy was the replicators' destination?

2. Which interstellar vessels were involved in the replicators' shipping and in what order?

Only one ship's name is given, so to identify the ships, also state the entities that own/command the respective ships.
Well, easy enough to go and check.
But by memory, I have only a few shreads:

1) The Ba's scheme involved going through Koamrr, and there are two satrapies reachable from Komarr without having to go through or all around the Cetagandan Empire. One is Rho Ceta, and the other probably Sigma Ceta, since I believe I remember that Mu Ceta and Xi Ceta are the other way round very far from Komarr, Eta Ceta is the capital and to my knowledge the three others are never named. So I would guess Rho Ceta (unless it is Sigma... or Mu or Xi, since I might be wrong about which is close and which two are far).

2) First was the Star Creche Ship, then the smuggler ship owned by Guppy and his friends (and Jacksonian creditors). From what Guppy says, (that he managed to track the replicators because it was a cargo with a huge mass, and that mass was impossible to hide) it is quite possible that several other ships were involved, and that the replicators did not join the Komarran fleet from the start. I am not sure. Then one of the ships of the Komarran fleet, a ship owned by the Toscane Family, but I forgot the name. Finally, a fast Barrayaran (military ?) ship, some kind of courrier, I'd say.

Return to “Lois McMaster Bujold”